Oblivion

AltonThorpe

I'd understand what you mean if you compared Oblivion to say Sheikra at Busch Gardens in USA but even then, not everyone can get to those (right now you have to cough up alot of cash and find an airline which isn't at risk of bankruptcy). Oblivion is still the only ride of its kind in the UK and unless we are going to see a Eurofighter first and see holding gears installed just before the drop on Project Dylan. As Chaz said; two different leagues.

So you've said, but Project Dylan won't be, Project Dylan won't stop at its highest peak before the drop, Project Dylan doesn't dive underground, Project Dylan has a steeper drop, Project Dylan has a steeper lift, Project Dylan has a different theme, Project Dylan is made by Gerstlauer. So, just to re-inforce, yes Oblivion may be short, but its thrilled millions of people since its opening day on March 14th 1998. It is isn't losing its magic, and just as Tom and Chaz said - you can't compare it to Project Dylan.

The most you could probably do to Oblivion is to convert it to floorless; like what happened to Skeikra. The floorless hardware for the station was installed on a night just before the unveiling and the most extensive work was reworking the trains to floorless but using the same chassis. I would have said it would be a worthwhile modification as when I was on Sheikra (ok yes different layout but same ride), I sat on the outer most seat on the front row and the floorless effect is amazing when being held over the drop. But I do not know how much the modifications would cost and it really depends whether Merlin consider Oblivion worth having some more money pumped into it.

Well surely your point would be 'I think Oblivion is overhyped' if you think it's too short? I really enjoy Oblivion not just for the ride, but the whole theme; it's really well done and I think gimmicks like making it floorless would ruin it, it isn't based around having no floor.Even still, the one in America which was made floorless (I believe it was Sheikra) has now got absolutely dire reliability, the number of lift hill evac's in the first year was something like 200, and I think 'top of the drop' evac's where about 25! Doesn't really say much about the conversion..Anyway, who here genuinely thinks 09 will be better than Oblivion? Good luck..

Even still, the one in America which was made floorless (I believe it was Sheikra) has now got absolutely dire reliability, the number of lift hill evac's in the first year was something like 200, and I think 'top of the drop' evac's where about 25! Doesn't really say much about the conversion..

Actually now that you mention it, I did see Sheikra through out the day stop on the Lift hill and MCBR. What appears to be the tempremental part is the gates used during loading; because Shekira boards two at a time, the first train is free to ascend the lifthill straight away, while the second train must wait just outside the station. This makes using standard bar gates (
) impossible due to clearence issues with the train infront, so fold away gates have to be used. I obsevered on several occasions while queueing, that the gates appear to attempt to close or open but then stop responding. But back on point...

Actually now that you mention it, I did see Sheikra through out the day stop on the Lift hill and MCBR. What appears to be the tempremental part is the gates used during loading; because Shekira boards two at a time, the first train is free to ascend the lifthill straight away, while the second train must wait just outside the station. This makes using standard bar gates (

) impossible due to clearence issues with the train infront, so fold away gates have to be used. I obsevered on several occasions while queueing, that the gates appear to attempt to close or open but then stop responding. But back on point...
Yeah, I think that as it was a prototype system, that B&M basically ballsed up pretty bad; the thing had to be manually parked every time within something like 6cm difference, and it looks like it rarely worked.

It's is quite ironic though; they have had the basics of the floorless fold away flooring and gates working for years on the standard floorless coasters. Yet all of a sudden, it gets cocked up on dive machines? The only difference between the floorless dive machine fold away floor and the standard floorless coaster flooring is the dive machine has an extra panel at the front of the train which folds into the track (as seen in the Griffon video).Anyway, I can understand what you mean about the floorless gimmick potentially ruining Oblivion in some peoples eyes, but I think it would be a great crowd puller or re-puller in someways. Oblivion 2.0 anyone?

Realisitically it wouldn't bring in that many guests and would add very little to a ride that is already very successful and brings in the guests. The floorless aspect is one of those gimmicky things that a lot of people feel add very little to rides. I think the same would occur with Oblivion.

Lol, when I was there on the 10th, it broke down twice when we were in the queue. Although to be fair I think it had just reopened after a bout of downtime. Something to do with a waterlogged kicker wheel I believe.There are only a few things I'd change with Oblivion and they include changing all the restraints so they all look the magnificant vibrant orange rather than having faded ones mixed in, a proper spruce up of the queueline which is in need of a bit of tlc, and then get the holding brake fixed and back to holding people there for the good 4 seconds it used to.X Sector in general is crying out for some hefty investment in general I think.

• 2 weeks later...