Oblivion

AltonThorpe

It wouldn't be so bad if the sponsorship sorta reflected the whole idea of the ride. Then again, you don't get many things that you can sponsor to some secret government facility... Maybe Merlin should try for some upbeat themes in future?Anyways, not the biggest fan of it. Could be worse I guess, but could be a heck of a lot better...

This sponsorship doesn't phase me at all. It's not *actually* that bad, I mean really lets be real here, do you really go out of your way to pay attention to the pipes in X-Sector? And Oblivions Entrance doesn't hit you in the face, its simple. Really makes no difference to me.

You don't need to try to pay attention to it anymore, the point is... it's an eyesore. It sticks out, even if you didn't look it before, you WILL do now. And it won't be a pretty sight.

Things like this make me sad. What a huge slap in the face to the creative teams who spent years working on the ride for it to have a huge, fat corporate sponsorship over it.Not only does it look cheap and a rushed job, it just completely contradicts the atmosphere the ride is trying to convey and is totally against everything I believe a theme park attraction should be like.Complete tripe.

Sigh...There's nothing else to say really... Subtle sponsorship I can live with, but this is about as subtle as a brick...

Weird really as the Dragon Falls sponsorship is subtle and a nice touch. Oblivions is just awful. It wasn't as bad in person on Tuesday but they are raping it and overdoing it a bit now.

The ride with the most sponsorship rape is definitely Bubbleworks really!

Mmmm I'm not sure tbh, I guess I think that the bubble works sponsor isn't as bad because it still is in keeping with the crucial theme; a crazy cartoon like factory line. Oblivion is now the secret government facility with a fizzy drink :) .

^From Towers Times.

Yeah, well, that Lord of the Darkness image is actually from me, not Towers Times, I just happened to post it there... But whatevaaaaaHmm, this just gets worse and worse. I thought vomiting over rides with ads was a thing of the past. The question is... why Oblivion? What has it done wrong?I really hope the the whole area is sorted out next year in time for the supposed Black Hole replacement. This sponsorship really has put the last nail in the coffin for X Sector. I hope the contract is not on for long because I think it is time for a full area refurbishment very soon. Not a retheme, a refurbishment. Something to bring the old spark back to life! No more shabbiness, dodgy flat rides or faded track.

Completely agree but for the life of me I cannot remember when Merlin have refurbished/spruced up an entire area, I could be very wrong though. It definitely needs some TLC otherwise it'll soon be given a new theme concept, an "abandoned" secret government facility :)

Mutiny Bay and Wild Asia are good examples of rethemes so we know Merlin are good at theming. The problem here is that the sponsorship is completely at odds with the mood that Oblivion is trying to evoke. When it was the orange pipes I didn't really mind but now the Sponsorship is being sicked on every part of the ride, it does seem a shame. We know Merlin can do subtlety as Dragon Falls has been done very well.

Mutiny Bay and Wild Asia are good examples of rethemes so we know Merlin are good at theming.

Can't believe I forgot those :/ !I guess our only hope now is that the contract is short. Fanta is a sub brand of cola so can only hope that the cola company sponsorship will end point blank or it will be reverted back to coca cola at some point.

I love that in the advert it makes the movement when you are released look very slow and drawn out. I know that some people appear to prefer a shorter time before being dropped (Jord is impatient :( ) but it seems Alton Towers may have just accidentally added a new dimension to the ride: how long will you car be held at the top? No one knows :)

No other Dive Machine has managed to recreate the tension Oblivion has... That slow turn actually makes such a massive difference and is rather ignored as to how well it actually adds to the experience...I love Oblivion... Certainly my 3rd favourite UK coaster...