Rant

Theme Park bloke

On Saturday, April 16, 2016 at 1:25 AM, Han30 said:

One of my teachers was a blatant bully - unfortunately it was my favourite subject aswell (French) - I was the only student in the class who wasn't a prefect so I stood out like a sore thumb as the uniforms were different.  I was also the class thicko - despite being really interested in French when I was younger and getting books out from the local library - in lesson I had no confidence at all.  Said teacher in not so many words called me an imbecile and there were other incidents where she would single me out for not being a great student.  She told my in the run up to our GCSEs that I should just do the basic exams and not even try with the higher ones and that I would "probably scrape a D grade. 

Once again sorry for quoting older posts (and triple posting but don't know how to quote posts while editing or quote two posts at once) but my primary school French teacher was a bit of a bully too. Not as bad, but she'd basically get me in trouble at any time she could, and its not like I was exactly a bad student - and I was in top group! We used to have a behaviour system where you'd start on green, move up to bronze if you're quite good, silver if you're good and to get gold you'd have to essentially be Jesus (and you'd get stickers for those three) however on the flip side you go down to blue for small thinks like talking, yellow for being a little s___ and red for being the devil incarnate. Any worse and you'd be sent to the head and parents phoned. One  kid (one of the bad kids - think he had ADHD so not his fault) was non-stop talking to me so I ask him to stop (politely too), so she moves me straight to blue. Me (and most of the class actually) explained to her that you can't do that and you had to move one at a time (It was true aswell) and I obviously said that it wasn't fair. She moved me to red and nearly phoned my parents!

Another teacher I had who taught us for every subject on Tuesdays (same year, 6) openly made fun of a kid in a book who had Aspergers while knowing I had it (Probably didn't enter her mind at the time but the school knew so she should). I obviously told one or two kids. Word spread and the lesson following was utter carnage. Even had kids doing cartwheels. She didn't teach us again for quite a while after that, meaning I may have instigated staffing changes in my school. Oh well, nobody liked her anyway.

I do question why some people go into teaching - I understand that it must be stressful and I know I couldn't do it as I don't have the right temperament (or qualifications).

its bad enough at school when you get bullied - but you certainly don't expect it from teachers who are meant to be there to help and not make you feel like a stack of poop.

A teacher openly making fun of a character in a book is so wrong - at year 6, kids are quite impressionable - someone like that should not be in the teaching profession - it's pretty much giving kids the green light to make fun of anyone with a condition which might make them a bit different to their peers.

Thankfully most teachers are there because they want to teach and are great at what they do.  Before I had my bitch of a French teacher for GCSE French, I had a brilliant French teacher the year before and I actually enjoyed going into lessons.

Going back to bullying- my niece who is in year 7 was reduced to tears recently by a kid from year 10 - I was so shocked as I assumed it was a kid from her year group.  I don't condone violence because if you hit a bully you are pretty much going to be the one getting into trouble and not the bully but I can see how a victim of bullying could easily get driven to it.

Years ago my younger sister was getting bullied and the school did absolutely nothing about it so my mum went up and waited outside- when the bullies came out of school my mum went up to them and had a quiet word - nothing threatening but the bullying stopped after that.  I've told my niece that if this girl does anything else then I'll go along to the school to meet her one day and speak to the other kid

Some people are just not cut out to be a teacher, I must admit the ones at my sons school are pretty good when it comes to sorting problems out and actually teaching, the ones at his last school not so much.

Talking of teachers, I think I may have mentioned my music loving alcoholic neighbour once or twice, well it seems she is on her final warning at the school now, no idea what over but she was none too happy last night and now the rest of the street knows, not something I'd be broadcasting to all and sundry but each to their own as they say.

I've been kind of upset this week. Whenever something big happens in the world, its nearly inescapable. I remember the blanket news coverage of the Australia hostage situation two years ago, the two attacks on France last year and the one on Belgium this year. With it comes outpouring of grief on social media, a rush to change Facebook profile pictures to ones glossed over with the colours of the French flag. Newspapers run with headlines for days about the immovable grief that naturally comes from a situation.

So why doesn't anyone seem to give a damn about what happened in Orlando on Saturday night? Aside from gay friends on FB, nothing at all. Not a rainbow flag on a profile, or a comment condemning Americas gun laws, not a moment to remember that this is the single biggest targeting of the gay community since the Holocaust. Is it ingrained homophobia, is it a feeling of weariness that this grief solves nothing particularly with American laws? Some of our media didn't even cover it, the Daily Mail for instance focusing on Turkish xenophobia instead. The ones that did, made very little attempt to relate this as a gay hate crime. 

We seem to care about a gorilla, then we do 49 LGBT people who were mowed down by a terrorist. It makes me mad and makes me realise that the fight for LGBT rights is just as important now as it has ever been. I'm fed up of this world sometimes.

On Instagtram, a lot of my friends and internet friends have raised awareness about the issue, nearly everyone I know from school has posted about it or acknowledged the situation. Someone I know is selling commissions and the money is going towards helping the victims. On tumblr it's everywhere,  and the way the community is sticking together after such a tragedy is incredible. Everyone's helping everyone on there. 

But the media has barely covered it, and lots of the news stations over in the states don't even acknowledge that it was a gay bar apparently. It's horrible. :(

I nowadays personally find it absolutely disgusting when people call one another "gay" or "homo" as a joke or an insult. I heard one of these words come from a kid in his early teens (no surprises there) directed at his friend while I was en route home. Honestly, it's as if people like him are so ignorant that they either didn't know about the events in Orlando...or most likely they didn't CARE. It really feels as if people like this guy are mocking the sexuality of the 49 innocent people who were killed on that night. I have never been homophobic by any means, but the events in Orlando really have inspired me to turn my back on homophobia completely and stand with those who are proud of their sexuality. It is NOT something from which to suffer constant abuse, which I'm sure everyone would agree that this was one of the most sickening parts of the whole massacre; the fact that the killer was a homophobic monster who relentlessly took the lives of 49 people just over a different sexuality.

Is it politically correct to call someone gay nowadays?  I'm asking seriously, when I was younger gay was the correct term (or lesbian for women), the insults were other thing like fag, poof etc. but thing have changed so much over the years all I hear now is the LBGT term (which I had to Google the first time I heard it) so I don't know,is gay now considered derogatory?

It is and has been for at least a decade.

I've always been fairly camp and at primary school I was bullied constantly because of this and called gay in a derogatory way on a daily basis.

To be honest I imagine it's probably worse now and it will be a long time before gay stops being an insult unfortunately.

11 hours ago, Ian-S said:

Is it politically correct to call someone gay nowadays?  I'm asking seriously, when I was younger gay was the correct term (or lesbian for women), the insults were other thing like fag, poof etc. but thing have changed so much over the years all I hear now is the LBGT term (which I had to Google the first time I heard it) so I don't know,is gay now considered derogatory?

From personal point of view it depends who is saying it, and how they are saying/asking it

If someone was to shout 'gay boy' at me, I would take offence

If someone was to ask 'are you gay?', that is completely fine and I would never expect them to ask if I was 'homosexual' or LGBT(Q) etc

The problem with the word 'gay' is when it's used to mean stupid.  E.g 'That's so gay'

If someone calls you a homophobe for asking 'are you gay' obviously without malicious intent, then they're over-reacting in my books

Edit:  The necessity of some people to ask someone if they're gay or not is a whole other point

Edited by Tom
Multiple sources needed

Really worried I was going into the polling station on Thursday not knowing how David Beckham was going to vote. 

The media and the UK population are a joke if we seriously considered how a footballer is going to vote is actual news. 2 days to go and the best article the BBC has to offer is David Beckham is voting remain. If that influences anyone's decision they probably shouldn't be voting. He has the political expertise of hamster and spent most of his life kicking a ball up and down a field.

People's opinions should not be influenced by celebrities where most are evidently out of touch with society as they have everything done for them and they have crazy amounts of money.

1 hour ago, Project LC said:

2 days to go and the best article the BBC has to offer is David Beckham is voting remain...

If that influences anyone's decision they probably shouldn't be voting. 

Or... there are hundreds of articles about this on BBC alone, thousands across all media of varying validity, and you have chosen just this one and for some reason declared it the best they have to offer. There is a hell of of very good, balanced, in depth reporting on the subject on the BBC especially. 

And while celebrity endorsements should clearly not really be used to make such a big decision, if this sort of thing gets some people interested on the subject that otherwise were not then surely that is a good thing?

The kind of people who would be enticed into being interested are the very same people who would be influenced by the celebrity in question, so no, on the whole its not a good thing, those that are interested will vote, and those that are not will continue to complain regardless of the outcome.

7 hours ago, Project LC said:

Really worried I was going into the polling station on Thursday not knowing how David Beckham was going to vote. 

The media and the UK population are a joke if we seriously considered how a footballer is going to vote is actual news. 2 days to go and the best article the BBC has to offer is David Beckham is voting remain. If that influences anyone's decision they probably shouldn't be voting. He has the political expertise of hamster and spent most of his life kicking a ball up and down a field.

People's opinions should not be influenced by celebrities where most are evidently out of touch with society as they have everything done for them and they have crazy amounts of money.

He has just as much right to say which way he's voting as anyone else. David Beckham for instance was from a working class family and hasn't always had things because of money or things being done for him. Majority of politicians on the other hand....

Besides if we aren't listening to experts anymore (thanks Boris and Farage) then we may ask people like David flipping Beckham. 

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Mark9 said:

Shouldn't you only be calling Vampire your baby if you rode the original interpretation.

Sorry guys, that limits it to a handful of members.

And I am one of those members. She is MINE.

I'm calling shotgun! 91 was my first ride!

13 hours ago, Mark9 said:

Shouldn't you only be calling Vampire your baby if you rode the original interpretation.

Sorry guys, that limits it to a handful of members.

And I am one of those members. She is MINE.

Sorry to jump in, never rode the original but if I operated the thing for two years albeit on two trains and under the most ridiculous H&S rules imaginable am I allowed to call it my baby? As at the time I did consider it mine :wub:

28 minutes ago, Chessiekid said:

Sorry to jump in, never rode the original but if I operated the thing for two years albeit on two trains and under the most ridiculous H&S rules imaginable am I allowed to call it my baby? As at the time I did consider it mine :wub:

Denied. I can lay legitimate claim as I've worked on Vampire with three trains. :wub: