Rant

Theme Park bloke

Having cured my fear of dentists (and only wish I knew how so I could sell the cure for millions), I can only offer my empathy to you Han 30.

Been there, done all of that.

Be brave and get a recommendation for a good dentist from a friend or family member, someone you know and trust.

Take that person with you to see the dentist's receptionist, and explain all, they will have heard it all before, and will be gentle and kind.

Make an appointment for the dreaded deed, and ask if they can give you a Valium injection in the waiting room before you go in to the dentists chair.

Half an hour later you will probably be laughing and crying with relief at how easy and painless it all was.

Good luck and go for it.

Must be something in the air since I broke another tooth over the weekend, got any of that valium going spare?

Considering, I'm now convinced my teeth issues are related to the equinox since I always suffer bad tooth ache while the earth shifts on it's axis, never at any other time of the year, anybody got a spare tin foil hat?

1 hour ago, Ian-S said:

Must be something in the air since I broke another tooth over the weekend, got any of that valium going spare?

Considering, I'm now convinced my teeth issues are related to the equinox since I always suffer bad tooth ache while the earth shifts on it's axis, never at any other time of the year, anybody got a spare tin foil hat?

You can borrow one...

signs1.jpg

Thanks for the advice Rob - Oooh a Valium injection sounds nice :yahoo:- I'm tempted to back to my old dental practice even though my dentist has retired, the one that took over is very good apparently- only problem is that it is private and Lord knows how much it would cost (last time I went it was about £50 for a consultation).

Ian-s - I think I read somewhere before about your teeth and the Equinox- I would love to give you some Valium but they are very precious to me haha - I can however make you a tin foil hat!  

I think I'm panicking because I've got this sodding root stuck and I have no idea how a dentist would remove it (I'm thinking they may need to slice into my gum - lush).  I've even bought pliers but can't get the damn thing out 

Having had the same, I can only say they have very special clamps and pliers to remove roots without cutting deep into the gum, I think they put a special clamping plate around the root then lever against that with complex pliers.

If money is a problem you can always go to a dental training hospital, arrange a payment plan or go "Denplan", again the receptionist will help with all this.

I once had a root canal treatment that got infected, that puts a broken root in the shade, it took thirteen trips to the excellent dentist to get it fixed, but I didn't lose the tooth.

The Valium injection was indeed amazing, absolutely brilliant cocktail of drugs really I think, you keep repeating yourself again and again without realising it to your "appropriate adult" for the two or three hours after the treatment, apparently I told my wife about fifty times that I couldn't eat solids for 24 hours.

And one last piece of advice... STOP FIRKING ABOUT IN YOUR GOB WITH BLOODY PLIERS.

Apologies for shouting, but this is the Rant topic after all.

...and there's the now familar tick of another tooth dropping onto the plate, think I' going to stop eating pizza.

Most of my teath have broken off at the gum line and the root has either come out itself eventually or been absorbed by the gum, not sure what that does long term buy hey ho, you only live once as they say.  But yeah don't be sticking unsanitised tools in your gob, if you must insist boil them in a pan first, I sometimes find a cotton bud with the end chopped off is enough to dig out any squashy bits of teeth though.

Last time I was at the dentish they gave me gas and it took me four hours to wake up from it, when I did according to my mum I immediately continued counting down again from 7 (I only got to 8 before it knocked me out before the op) much to the shock of the nurse.  She said I also must hsve told her 50 times the gas wouldn't work (the numbing/painkilling injections they gave back in the early 80's had no effect on me, hence the gas).

Rob - your post made me laugh - I will try and leave the pliers alone (I've also tried tweezer and those scrape things you get in mini dental kits)

Ian - jeez how many teeth have you lost?! Might have a bash with a cotton bud, see if that does anything :wacko:

I've never had gas (in the dentist term of things)!!  But sounds quite fun

I have about five left undamaged, so I don't smile much, I had a undiagnosed calcium deficiency in early life so my teeth were buggered from the get-go, people think I'm a meth addict when they meet me nowdays.   

Gas is overrated, morphene is so much  more fun  (so I'm told).

59 minutes ago, Ian-S said:

I have about five left undamaged, so I don't smile much, I had a undiagnosed calcium deficiency in early life so my teeth were buggered from the get-go, people think I'm a meth addict when they meet me nowdays.   

Gas is overrated, morphene is so much  more fun  (so I'm told).

Oh blimey - is there nothing that can be done or is it too late?  I absolutely hate my teeth - I have had looooots of fillings (I put it down to eating 2 packs of polo mints every day when I was a teenager)  I  hate having fillings - would rather have a tooth pulled. So far I've had 5 tooth extractions (that included both bottom wisdom teeth), 6 if you include the one I yanked out myself, plus a root filling thing.  2 different lots of braces when I was a lot younger which I disliked but they did kind of help - I fainted years ago and went face down on concrete slabs which knocked half of my front tooth out - was so petrified of the dentist that I was walking around with just half a tooth for 18 months before getting it seen to - now the capped tooth is stained which I am really self conscious of(I've even tried household bleach on it but it doesn't work).  And I',m fairly certain I have zero enamel left on my teeth thanks to being bulimic in my early-mid 20's.  Wow I just typed an essay

Yeah I've heard morphine is pretty good - wouldn't mind trying it!

6 hours ago, Ian-S said:

I'm sure there's plenty can be done if I ponied up with a wad of cash but I don't have a money tree in the garden presently (still trying to get a seed) so I just suffer it, it's something that hass run in our family though, everybody on my side has duff teeth.

Yup - money talks!  What I find helpful when I'm feeling particularly crud about my teeth is watch a bit of Jeremy Kyle show - it works wonders!

4 hours ago, Han30 said:

Yup - money talks!  What I find helpful when I'm feeling particularly crud about my teeth is watch a bit of Jeremy Kyle show - it works wonders!

You've just given me something to rant about...

Why does the Jeremy Kyle show exist I hate everything about it the theme song the chavs on it the audience Jeremy Kyle himself grrr

Also colds. The type of cold where you are slowly dying and everyone's just like "oh it's just a cold" NO YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!!

I must admit I have on many an occasion had to switch off the JK show because the rowing chavs give me a headache.  I don't watch it as much these days (I used to really fancy JK - embarrasing I know :help:)

As for colds - yeah they can make you feel awful - I swear by Vitamin C.  I'm fortunate that I haven't had a cold for nearly a year but on the down side when I do get one it inevitably ends up heading to my chest and resulting in a chest infection. 

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, Ian-S said:

I wonder how long it will be before someone complains to the Mail that they were offended by the till because "Christmas" is offensive to them as it conflicts with their religion.

It'll probably happen. Remember all that discourse last year about the Starbucks cups?

But we have to remember, not everyone celebrates Christmas. I love it (in a non religious way) but even then I acknowledge that it is primarily a Christian festival and not for everyone. I don't think it should be as bigged up as it is. 

1 hour ago, Ian-S said:

I wonder how long it will be before someone complains to the Mail that they were offended by the till because "Christmas" is offensive to them as it conflicts with their religion.

They aren't going to go to the Mail, lets face it. Maybe the Guardian and then the Mail will steal it for their online website, baiting there pig ignorant commentators like red to a bull.

• 3 weeks later...

Winter....yes winter is my rant.  I hate it - if I was rich and not scared of flying I would happily sod off to a sunnier climate for a few months each year.

The clocks went back weeks ago and it was only yesterday I changed the wall clock in my living room to the right time.  I'm fairly certain I have SAD or some form of it - every year is the same - my mood gets low, tiredness gets worse and just as it starts to get dark I have the overwhelming urge to go to bed.  It doesn't help that Xmas is just around the corner which I struggle with at the best of times.

Also - teeth (again) - I now have a lovely tooth with a huge crack in it on the other side of my gob where the other problem is (filling fell out and I then yanked out the tooth - root is still there).  Managed to get some cocodomol from my GP which I'm never taking again - felt so ill on it.

And finally (wow this is very ranty) - I have no problems whatsoever helping people out but when someone blatantly takes the p1££ I get angry - when you help someone out and it costs not only your time but a considerable amount of money, stress etc - next time the answer will be no.

God I'm on a roll - I have 2 more ranty things but I'll just sit and stew on them until I turn into a proper moaning old cow 

17 hours ago, TPMSam said:

I work at Tesco and now I am dreading going to work- when I worked at John Lewis hearing the bloody penguin advert every 10 minutes on a 9 hour shift was painful enough. Still can't listen to Tom Odell without getting flashbacks

I used to love working there at Christmas! 

Thanksgiving in the U.S today. Completely not arsed but I get to eat Turkey which is alright by me.