Rant

Theme Park bloke

Osbornes budget is a right laugh. The whole academy thing is one of the most preposterous proposals I've ever heard.

Currently I have braces - they're not train tracks that don't seems to affect you, but retainers which make me practically dumbfounded as I cannot pronounce any words with 'S's. Due to this, I have been micky taken so many times with people impersonating me by just slobbering. I wouldn't call this bullying as it isn't intend to be malicious, just a joke. However, I am extremely sensitive and I cannot stand being the subject of people's jokes. I am powerless over my brace and I am beginning to get extremely self conscious...:(

Osbornes budget is a right laugh. The whole academy thing is one of the most preposterous proposals I've ever heard.

Currently I have braces - they're not train tracks that don't seems to affect you, but retainers which make me practically dumbfounded as I cannot pronounce any words with 'S's. Due to this, I have been micky taken so many times with people impersonating me by just slobbering. I wouldn't call this bullying as it isn't intend to be malicious, just a joke. However, I am extremely sensitive and I cannot stand being the subject of people's jokes. I am powerless over my brace and I am beginning to get extremely self conscious...:(

I had this when I first had my retainer. horrible for the first week or so as you can't pronounce s's without drooling everywhere. I remember I tried to say 'sauce' once with them in and I exploded with saliva everywhere [emoji23]

I'm 100% with you as well. I do get extremely self conscious too (and I was with them in), but trust me, in a few days you'll be able to speak normally again.

I know it's horrible being the subject of jokes (just on Tuesday in fact there was an incident which caused me to get very annoyed) but just laugh it off the best you can

The education system in the UK right now is not at the fault of David Cameron.

Spoken like a true Tory.

Academies may not have been bought in by the Tories true, but the way they are now being used to push privatisation through by the back door stops solely at Dave's door, he had plenty of opportunities to change the legislation and stop OFSTED labelling school inadequate (which in turn activated the legislation which allowed the school to be taken over), but what did he and his is coke snorting sidekick do? They adapted the legislation and made it MANDATORY that all schools are privatised.

The whole idea of state education is that it is is to the same standard throughout the country and follows the same curriculum regardless of race, ability or location, that's not what we're going to end up with when the schools are privatised....

I know it's horrible being the subject of jokes (just on Tuesday in fact there was an incident which caused me to get very annoyed) but just laugh it off the best you can

Or punch their lights out, I found that worked petty well too, find a quiet area where there are no witnesses or cctv and do the deed, then when they whine like a mamma, just say they touched you first and you were just defending yourself which is your right to do and stick to that story, it's your word against theirs and nobody can prove anything different.

You may get suspended for a day or two (probably both of you will), but that kid won't come near you again, worked fine for me, intact the kid was removed from the school and the family moved once the truth of what he'd done had come out, my breaking his nose was just the tip of the iceberg and the final straw.

Having said that I really don't like violence and will avoid it wherever I can, but sometimes people are ****s and deserve to be taken down a peg or two.

Spoken like a true Tory.

Academies may not have been bought in by the Tories true, but the way they are now being used to push privatisation through by the back door stops solely at Dave's door, he had plenty of opportunities to change the legislation and stop OFSTED labelling school inadequate (which in turn activated the legislation which allowed the school to be taken over), but what did he and his is coke snorting sidekick do? They adapted the legislation and made it MANDATORY that all schools are privatised.

The whole idea of state education is that it is is to the same standard throughout the country and follows the same curriculum regardless of race, ability or location, that's not what we're going to end up with when the schools are privatised....

Excuse me? I am far from a Tory. 

What I meant was that the education system has been iffy for a while, before Cameron even got into power.

Or punch their lights out, I found that worked petty well too, find a quiet area where there are no witnesses or cctv and do the deed, then when they whine like a mamma, just say they touched you first and you were just defending yourself which is your right to do and stick to that story, it's your word against theirs and nobody can prove anything different.

You may get suspended for a day or two (probably both of you will), but that kid won't come near you again, worked fine for me, intact the kid was removed from the school and the family moved once the truth of what he'd done had come out, my breaking his nose was just the tip of the iceberg and the final straw.

Having said that I really don't like violence and will avoid it wherever I can, but sometimes people are ****s and deserve to be taken down a peg or two.

Yes because encouraging younger people to beat up others is a fantastic idea Ian.

That's the same excuse they come up with, it's always the last governments fault every time someone points out to Dave he's failed.

The schools are not bad (certainly better than the facilities I had), it's just the way things are being taught is crap, and that's only been going on for a few years, not decades.

Yes because encouraging younger people to beat up others is a fantastic idea Ian.

Read my whole post and you may understand, if you think the school is going to do anything about a gobby chav then you're going to have a very long wait, I hate violence but sometimes you have to take extreme steps to safeguard your own sanity, otherwise they'll never stop.

Hit a bully where it hurts, usually his gob, and they'll back off.

Or maybe you could try talking to them and explaining how their words are hurting *your feelings, and see what reaction you get (I know it's not you personally *).

Read my whole post and you may understand, if you think the school is going to do anything about a gobby chav then you're going to have a very long wait, I hate violence but sometimes you have to take extreme steps to safeguard your own sanity, otherwise they'll never stop.

Hit a bully where it hurts, usually his gob, and they'll back off.

Or maybe you could try talking to them and explaining how their words are hurting your feelings, and see what reaction you get.

I read your post, which is why I'm left confused as to why you've encouraged someone to act violently, yet say you really don't like violence. There is no way beating someone up helps in any situation, fighting violence with violence solves nothing. 

There's fighting violence with violence, then there's sending a message, they're two different things.

Hey I agree, I'd rather the human race was far more evolved then it is, but all the time people are born, there are always going to be people who only understand one language, adapt or don't, it's your choice, but don't expect the school to do anything about it, they can't, it's not like back in my day where if you gave the teacher lip they pulled out a cane, bent you over the desk, ripped your trousers down and give you 10 lashes, they can't even touch you now.

Or they could laugh it off like you said, and hope that in 15 years that gobby chav will probably be ending their sentence to them with the words 'yes boss' rather than the other way round, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Whilst a conservative I am certainly not a Dave fan. He is a spineless prime minister giving into large companies. However the same can be said about corbyn and Osborne.

The conservatives have never been good with education and hopefully when Boris is PM something will change for the better in education. Assuming David quits after the eu referendum.

education is so so awful in this country right now, and it's probably only going to get worse. it rewards the smartest/most able kids the most and completely neglects the less able/disabled students. schools only give a s**t about the kids who can get the grades, and in general really give no help to those students who are struggling. it's terrible. not to mention the changes Gove has made to a levels, he's completely ruined them and made them even more academic and reliant on one exam that you now can't even retake. it infuriates me. none of us even have half a chance anymore, and I'm saying that as apparently quite an able student. education is an absolute mess only focused on getting profits for the gov/unis. and don't even get me started on grants being taken away and uni prices raising. f**k.

I left school back in 1996 and my secondary school pretty much only cared about the students who were going to do well.  There was a huge difference between how myself and my younger sister were treated (I am not academical at all - she is the complete opposite) - if I was off school they couldn't have given 2 hoots, yet if my younger sister had one day off they were all concerned about her.

One of my teachers was a blatant bully - unfortunately it was my favourite subject aswell (French) - I was the only student in the class who wasn't a prefect so I stood out like a sore thumb as the uniforms were different.  I was also the class thicko - despite being really interested in French when I was younger and getting books out from the local library - in lesson I had no confidence at all.  Said teacher in not so many words called me an imbecile and there were other incidents where she would single me out for not being a great student.  She told my in the run up to our GCSEs that I should just do the basic exams and not even try with the higher ones and that I would "probably scrape a D grade. 

Because of her teaching methods, I spent most of my French lessons in the sick bay doing a great act of pretending that I was ill so that I didn't have to see the horrible teacher.  But because of what she said about me scraping a D it made me determined to do better - it was the only exam I revised for because I was so intent on proving her wrong and because I love the subject.  In the exam after the basic exams were done and I "should" have left she said there staring at me, presumably wondering why I hadn't left the exam - it got worse as we got on to the last exam but I didn't let it bother me - the exam was quite difficult and most of my class had left after the intermediate exam so I think she was puzzled.  I ended up getting a B grade which I was really pleased with.

On the flip side, when I went to college I took a few GCSEs in one of the years I was there - I was told I could easily get an A or A* and I felt so pressured that I dropped 2 of the subjects but I did end up getting 2 B grades.

My niece started secondary school last September (my old school ugh) - and at the age of 12 has been told what grades she is on track to get for GCSE - I think that is flippin' ridiculous - she is in year 7!  We never even thought about our GCSEs until the end of year 9 when we had to pick which subjects we wanted to take.  So much pressure these days

Interesting hearing others' views about school favouring the best performing students, as that was far from the case at my school.

At the time I was there, the main target was getting everybody to get at least 5 A*-C grades. If you were on track for that, you'd be left to your own devices. If not, you'd be getting all the support thrown at you left, right and centre. There were many times my whole year group were given workshops from external companies, whose aim was to ensure "you would reach that C grade". In turn, this made the workshops pointless for those of us aiming for A/A* grades, for obvious reasons. There were some teachers who were great at supporting everyone reaching their personal goal, but they were few amd far between until I got to college...

I ended up being quite disappointed by my GCSE results. Of course, the blame for that has to fall down to me for at least some of that, but part of me still feels that if there had been more appropriate support avaliable to me, I'd have done better, or have had more realistic predictions.

I do wonder whether this discussion is a classic 'the grass is always greener' conversation, whether the education system was/is failing the large majority of students, or if it's because my school was just awful. Probably a combination of all three mind...

I've just decided my GCSEs. My subjects are Spanish, Geography, Resistant Materials, all of the core subjects and ECS (which is also compulsory).

I find that I, whilst in year 9, already feel severe pressure to achieve the grades. My sister was the star performer of her year getting 12 A to A*s and as a result all the teachers know my name and expect so much from me.

We've always been told to consider out GCSEs early (even in year 6 where we hadn't even had classes for certain subjects). I believe this is ridiculous, pressurising and I believe it hinders more than it helps.

I was going to say the biggest difference I see between now and when I was last in a school as a student is pressure, just as Charlie says, in my son's school they've had students attempting suicide because the pressure is so high, there is also far too much homework given out, way way too much, back when I was at school we were lucky if we got homework, now my niece (who is 16) has so much homework she barely has time to sleep and eat at weekends, let along do anything fun.

Josh, I'm not sure when you were in school but several years ago the way pupils are funded was changed, and to put it frankly, if you are a premium pupil (someone with disabilities) the LA get's much more funding from central government for that pupil than they do non-disabled kids so that may be why the high achievers were getting ignored (also it didn't help that the schools were basically graded from year to year, and those that had a higher improvement rate got more funding).

I was a complete cop-out at school, hardly turned up in my last year, missed half my exams, and failed most of the others, was told I'd never achieve anything in life blah blah blah, went straight from school into business and ran a very successful one for quiet a few years, and never used that oh so important algebra once.

I agree with every comment made, and also relate to it in some form or another. One thing I also had to follow up with, much like Charlie is the fact my brother was the highest scoring student in my school for GCSEs. This was a challenge for me however I made my teachers (who'd listen) well aware of the fact I am not academic and have not the capabilities of my brother, however I still passed all my exams, which in turn is putting pressure on my even less academic little brother, who (in the nicest of ways) is pretty thick when it comes to education stuff. He crumbles like me and it's pretty bad to watch, even from my point of view.

As well as this, I have experienced what JoshC had. In my year 10 maths class (set 2 of 10) we were told to take our maths exams a year early, so we could potentially do an extra GCSE come year 11, however not being the very top left us with some mediocre teachers, a mediocre class and a rushed syllabus. If you didn't get an A then you'd have to resist The exam next year, as I did, and I got worse the second year because it just felt like a waste. Having said that, the best teachers went to those in the very top set, and the D grade set, ensuring as many people got garunteed A's/passes as possible, and practically forgetting the trailers. Education these days highlights corruption at its finest and unfairness to almost every group of student, and as seen here, it can leave everyone very upset.

Idiot drone pilots doing their best to ruin the hobby for the 99.95% of us that follow the rules.

Plus the idiotic fear mongering press who put two and two together, come up with five and present it as fact....

Back to schools, my son's is having great difficulty with all the students who came from his previous primary, mainly because they were taught in such a way (in order to gain good sat results for the school) that the secondary is having to reteach everything they should have been taught originally last year.

Sometimes in life, I feel I am the Meg Griffin. The Blackpool, the punch, the slack machine, the one who always gets the blame.

Social communication always becomes a difficulty time after time. I may have tackled many things to get where I am in life, but there's still way to go amongst the ocassional flash back of the past.

Sometimes in life, I feel I am the Meg Griffin. The Blackpool, the punch, the slack machine, the one who always gets the blame.

Social communication always becomes a difficulty time after time. I may have tackled many things to get where I am in life, but there's still way to go amongst the ocassional flash back of the past.

You okay Matt?  Don't be hard on yourself - everyone has a past or things they have done which they regret (heck I feel I'm the expert on that some times with some of the situations I've got myself into) but you have to remember what is done is done - you can't rewrite your past, but move on and learn from it.  We all make mistakes, do things we later regret, say things we shouldn't etc - it's what makes us human.  Chin up Creek!