Forum Posts

Mark9

Ok, many thanks for all your hard work. I know it's not your fault and I'm sorry that my last post in this topic was a bit harsh coming to think of it seeing as it is not any of your faults but the posters themselves. Once again, thank you very much for keeping up with it and sorting things out.

There's a simple solution to this, install a spell correcting feature. If you type in Colossus it comes up as Colossus etc.

Easier said than done. :P I tried it on my forum. It failed.

Not easier said that done at all, easier done than said in fact. Remember back when I banned 'Love' from the forum. I have asked Marc about this feature being added to include basic adjustments to simple grammatical errors I'm sure we will hear more about it soon.

We are able to do this for some of the regular mistakes such as "I'm" to I'm" "I" to "I" etc but with spelling mistakes such as ride names, with so many different ways of it being spelt wrong it’s hard to fix things like that with a spell check!

Yeah, this is exactly what I meant when I said it was easier said than done. I mean, who would want to spend hours setting it up to change every single spelling mistake possible. JackD, have you ever actually tried to do this?

sPHPell (Click)Come on admins, lateral thinking! Nothing a good bit of Googling can't solve.While I'm at it, it still really bloody bugs me in Opera 9.63 when you're using the FastReply box, the central area of the text entry field is a bloomin hotspot for the Google Ads. Very annoying when you click to edit a part of your post and get sent to a website about bad breath or some such! (Offensive too :P)Oh, and it would be good if you could change the formatting for links so that they are underlined, it's a bit of a pain and spoils the flow of a decent post having to write CLICK ME to make it apparent that there's a link.Ta. :P

Yeah, this is exactly what I meant when I said it was easier said than done. I mean, who would want to spend hours setting it up to change every single spelling mistake possible. JackD, have you ever actually tried to do this?

Yes, I was an Admin on this forum for the past 2-3 years. Also, I didn't say to change every spelling mistake possible did I ? No, I said that basic small grammatical errors could be added to the word filter, as Marc said this is possible, and also I have done it before so I do know it is possible , it's not difficult and would take no more than 2 minutes.

All modern browsers have/can have spell checkers included, however the majority of them don't come with a spell checker installed as standard. It relys very much on the user installing and using it.I totally understand what you mean Ian, I just thought I'd have a quick look around and see if such a thing actually did exist.Marc, I'll look into that and let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

Google Chrome has a built in spell checker.<RANT>The worse thing I see on Forums, is people mixing up Where and Were.Like,Incorrect: Were you going tonight?Correct: Where you going tonight?Or,Incorrect: Where you supposed to do that?Correct: Were you supposed to do that?The only thing is, both of those sentences could make sense either way, which makes it even more confusing, but still.Simple adjustments make Forum post reading so much easier to understand.</RANT>

I realise its not my place to say this but it's annoying me after seeing this in near enough every topic.It's not aimed at any single person in particular.Come on guys, HOW HARD IS IT FOR YOU TO CHECK YOUR POSTS?!The guidelines repeatly get posted by admins and there is constantly warnings from admins to use correct spelling and grammar. It makes your posts harder to read, and nobody is honestly going to want to read a post where you have to decode it into readable english.I appreciate people may have spelling difficulties - nobody is perfect, but as it has been previously said, most internet browsers have a built in spellchecker nowadays.The people who just type without any grammar because they can't be bothered, I would like to introduce these people to something called Microsoft Word! If you have difficulty with written english, please type your post in Microsoft Word and run the spell checker, and it will make everybodies life easier!Seriously, using a capital letter at the start of your sentences and a full stop at the end, is something you get taught to do when you're 5 years old. Over and out.

I have to agree mark, win and fail are annoying. I understand it was a good thing to say but once something has been overused it becomes annoying. Perhaps if someone was to post something fail or win say 5 times then a temporary ban or warn should be put into place. I know that posts are edited due to overused words so keep up the good work guys.

To be fair it's not hard for people to write their post in Microsoft Word or something first so that any spelling errors/gramatical errors can be corrected before posting on the forum. :)

I don't mind the occasional spelling or gramatical error, but when you find posts with a spelling or grammar mistake in every other word is can get quite irritating. There is a spellchecker now built to use just before you post :P.