Chessington Howl'o'ween

Krypt didn't return for financial reasons. The poor season resulted in no roaming characters for the year...and cuts to the special events budgets. It was decided that it was better to have something refreshed and new, BFH being poor, rather than everything being 'the same' as before. The Krypt did have poor throughput, and was expensive; 'set up' by external company, hire of technical equipment, staff including about 4 hosts to operate the effects as well as the actual operation and the actors. Plus the moving of the black container (now destroyed and burried thank god!) cost about £10,000 every time.

Why can't I be brought in to think of a storyline/theme/plot? :(

Unfortunately it's not that simple.

When planning and creating a scare attraction, multiple plans and ideas may be analysed and bounced around. I'm not construction or technical but I need to know their abilities etc if I am to pull off something realistic.

It's always best to plan more than you need with the knowledge that, along the way, stuff will get cut. The creative side will need to be aware of and take into account the constructional and technical abilities and restraints.

So off the top of my head, let's say we creatively thought of a maze based on the legend of old Voodoo Queen Marie Laveau. The maze would have multiple scenes with different effects, such as projection mapping, moving floors, smells, light SFX and triggered scenes/set. 

This would need to be revised and planned from script delivery timings for throughput to scene effect lengths for the flow of the attraction. Sending this over to construction and technical, they would need to then come up (if done in-house) with something like a set of choices, let's say for this: A, B and C. So A would be the most amount of money and C being the least. For example, perhaps B would say yes to projection mapping, special effects, smells but no to really immersive sets. So, instead maybe we'd have black floors and black material ceiling (yuck) with minimalist set designs, instead of it looking like tier A, where the immersive set makes us feel we're walking inside an old house near the bayou with wooden floors, jar lanterns hanging down from a wood slat ceiling, rich and detailed sets etc.

Another big factor is guest understanding. How can we, with as little budget and actors as possible, still deliver the storyline clearly and cohesively? So by that I mean, if I ask the staff to run on the least possible actors we can (reflecting a break/lunch pattern) will I still get the same storyline/experience as if the maze was full? Will the theme/script need changes to ensure that the maze storyline is delivered? Or will it all be told in a preshow video and the rest of the maze is just "boo!"s and shrieks? If we rely just on a preshow, will the storyline continue to flow and make sense? Do the sets/effects need to tell the story instead of the actors? How much will all of this cost operationally?

Building on from this, how many staff will we need to run the entire attraction (not just actors) safely and effectively each day? All of these factors: cosmetic, operational, technical, constructional, will have an impact on the overall story, plot and running of the maze. Things can go wrong very late in the game causing last minute changes or even complete cuts of an attraction. 

I've analysed and even helped create some pretty cool concepts but usually, for one reason or another, the final product is either watered down, completely different from the original theme and plot or completely cut and left on the shelf...

• 3 weeks later...

Mystery Of Hocus Pocus Needs to Stay and Haunting in the hollows and maybe a new maze some where 

I'm really looking forward to Hocus Pocus Hall, it was great to see so many amazing reviews last year. All of the swirling projection mapping and effects really made it stand out, not to mention the score for each scene. Best Chessington Halloween maze they've ever done.

I strongly agree with you there about HPH! Not only the soundtrack, but also the themeing in general blew me away! I remember the second I walked into the jungle scene, I just thought "Wow! How the heck was this much detail possible?" (later to be interrupted by the 'Guardian of the Kobra' :P)

A very dedicated couple of guys made it...sadly not at the company any more, so who knows if it'll return?

^ It is returning. Why would people leaving mean the attraction would have to depart?

Simply because the people who installed it obviously know how to install it, where all the props go, how the attraction is re-programmed, installation of technical equipment etc. When those people leave, that information leaves with them.

I expect the attraction to return - but its implementation as pluk said will be difficult.

But for now I suppose all there's left to do is just to not get our hopes up! Whether it returns or not is currently a mystery...   :ph34r:

Still, Mystery isn't the only thing I'm looking forward to! What about the excellent acting in Haunting in the Hollows and also the parkwide lighting? That deserves some credit at least! :D

The events section of the Chessington website confirms two walkthrough attractions, doesn't say new so probably expect the two from last year. It does say 2 new shows though - one to replace Big Bad Boo which would no longer work with the redesigned Market Square, but I'm not sure about the other one?

I'm thinking perhaps on the Madagascar Stage, or Wild Factor? (Does Wild Factor still happen?)