Chessington Howl'o'ween

27 minutes ago, Benin said:

Like balls is Chessington getting something akin to that, it's such an obvious fake (purely because the image isn't over-imposed to buggery like anything Merlin)... Like, LOOK AT THE CAUTION SIGN!

It's been posted on the Official MAP Facebook page by them.  I was half-expecting it to be taken down this morning and some sort of 'sorry we were hacked' post, but alas not. 

So yeah, it's not fake, which is even more concerning. 

Chessie have had fairly dark mazes in the past, but mostly, this will be Merlin realising that Halloween is super busy, and people like scares, and with no care but for money, throwing in an attraction that makes no sense in terms of the park's target audience...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

that poster does look very at odds with chessington's vibe as a whole (family friendly). Maybe they are trying to get teenagers more interested in the park...? Bit of a peculiar offering when placed with the gruffalo haha especially if scare mazes like the ones at Thorpe have an age limit. Something like the daytime mazes at tulleys would be good for Chessington (creepy cottage).

Could work out well.  One major criticism of Chessington which I have (and no doubt many others have too) is that for a family park, there is very little offering for older guests.  Upcharge is a pain, but does give the scope to improve the experience, especially since the Creepy Caves location is very small for a scare attraction.  The fact that it is adding to the line up as well is good in my eyes.

So yeah, colour me intrigued.  There's definitely potential here, and it can fit in nicely with what they have if done well and marketed correctly.

From someone that despises fastrack to their very core... I'm all for Halloween extras to be paid. They are extras after all, and it should be done with timed tickets to manage the queues.

What we have at the mo, at Thorpe especially but Chessie to an extent, is a mess that makes no one happy once it's even moderately busy. Towers seems to have it about right, one decent high throughput freebie with the supports being able to be better with a lower throughput and ticketing to make it manageable. Would be pleased to see them all go this way.

11 minutes ago, pluk said:

Towers seems to have it about right, one decent high throughput freebie with the supports being able to be better with a lower throughput and ticketing to make it manageable. Would be pleased to see them all go this way.

*had - all their mazes have been paid for since 2015. ;)  Though they have their scare zones. 

Towers' mazes aren't without their operational issues though.  Hour long queues for their mazes, despite the timed ticket slots, aren't uncommon, especially when it is busy.  

From someone that despises fastrack to their very core... I'm all for Halloween extras to be paid. They are extras after all, and it should be done with timed tickets to manage the queues.

What we have at the mo, at Thorpe especially but Chessie to an extent, is a mess that makes no one happy once it's even moderately busy. Towers seems to have it about right, one decent high throughput freebie with the supports being able to be better with a lower throughput and ticketing to make it manageable. Would be pleased to see them all go this way.
I would personally be fuming if I had to pay a penny more for any of the mazes at Thorpe, I don't mind paying for quality, but Thorpe's mazes are anything but quality. I doubt, especially considering where this attraction is going to be, that it will have the length, theming or scares that would make me part with money, unlike Towers

I actually prefer the extra charge and time slots, as it generally keeps the queues down to minimum and it generally means they don't have to shove groups through as fast and as care-free as Thorpe do..

Also from my experiences from Fright Nights- the mazes always seem to be pressured in terms of throughput.

So mazes like Cabin, Blair, and even Big Top had massive groups of 10 stacking with other groups, oh god was it messy..

4 minutes ago, BaronC. said:

Towers' mazes aren't without their operational issues though.  Hour long queues for their mazes, despite the timed ticket slots, aren't uncommon, especially when it is busy.  

There was a issue or two at the start of the season from my memory, though quite honestly, a hour queue in peak season in nothing compared to the 3 hour+ queues that Fright Nights bring.

Plus the Towers mazes are very quality too, don't get me wrong some of the operations have been bad there, and its very expensive, but the mazes are so long and well done, that its actually worth it IMO.

The park has had some attractions on the more scary side.

Just look at Haunting In The Hollows, the finale of that maze was akin to a mini Thorpe Maze, with some jump scares and some very intense strobes.

Story Driven can be scary though, and I actually thought Haunting In The Hollows's finale was brilliant and in ways, it was actually quite intense due to the build up..

Yes Chessington is a family event, but there is older kids in families, and I think this could appeal to the older people at the event and the park.

And plus we're still getting 3 other family directed attractions, and this is a up-charge, so this is probably just to test the waters.

6 hours ago, BaronC. said:

*had - all their mazes have been paid for since 2015. ;)  Though they have their scare zones. 

Ah, didn't know TOTT was paid now. 

If they have hour long queues for mazes with tickets then that's just incompetent!

6 hours ago, TarinMaria said:
6 hours ago, pluk said:
ming if I had to pay a penny more for any of the mazes at Thorpe, I don't mind paying for quality, but Thorpe's mazes are anything but quality. I doubt, especially considering where this attraction is going to be, that it will have the length, theming or scares that would make me part with money, unlike Towers

That's the cycle of poor we are currently stuck in though, the mazes can't be that good as 16000 people are trying to do them in a few hours each evening, high throughput, poor quality, long queues. Ticketing is a way out of that. But yeah, if they tried to upcharge for their current efforts that wouldn't really be good enough, I'm not suggesting that!