Samurai

Phill

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this online, is this Samurai (as in, our Samurai, when at Chessie?) amazes me how non-fairgroundy it looks compared to Samurai now with the standard Mondial Top Scan fences :PPosted Image

Samuai just seems to have become a common name for Mondial Top-scans. Our one looked nothing like that, it looked like this:-Posted ImageChessington's was also a brand new model, not second hand purchased.

In fairness, very similar :PCheers for clearing that up.I do question though, how much longer the current Samurai will last; its popularity is as strong as ever, but as a ride, it's starting to show its age in my opinion. If it did go, I'd be emotional if it wasn't replaced with a new Mondial Top Scan.What are other people's opinions on Samurai's life left / future?

As I found on a crazy cycle at the end of last season, Samurai is still more than capable of being amazing and run properly. I've since been told they don't run it properly purely to keep the stresses and therefore maintenance costs down.If that's the case I think the ride is perfectly fine and does not need replacing, as if they did replace it they'd run it just as his one anyway for the same cost reasons. Unless Mondial make a super strong version for park use? In which case buy! Because as it is on one of the 'normal' cycles it's not really worth bothering with.

As I found on a crazy cycle at the end of last season, Samurai is still more than capable of being amazing and run properly. I've since been told they don't run it properly purely to keep the stresses and therefore maintenance costs down.If that's the case I think the ride is perfectly fine and does not need replacing, as if they did replace it they'd run it just as his one anyway for the same cost reasons. Unless Mondial make a super strong version for park use? In which case buy! Because as it is on one of the 'normal' cycles it's not really worth bothering with.

A member of staff told me the other day it cannot run on cycles five or six (the highest Thorpe ever used) anymore due to causing the ride to E-Stop; not sure how reliable that is, but I'd say pretty reliable since she works on the ride. Shame though :o

Very Impressive first image, Just goes to show how you can theme such rides...It's a great shame the ride is struggling this season so far, But like I've said to people before rides of these types aren't suppose to last over 10 years of service with the amount of days the park is open during the season...I think it may get to a point where they might have to replace it either with a new model or have the current one sent to Mondial for a complete overhaul :o

I want them to do this, the ride has so much downtime but it's too good to get rid of completely!

...again.

Agreed it's a great ride such a shame about the downtime... & Pluk I wasn't aware it had been sent before...if that's the case then it very well might be coming towards the end of it's life? Saying that if they can run it on lower settings then am sure the park would prefer that option over removing it etc

That is what they've been doing since it moved to Thorpe from Chessington. It's been refurbished 3 times since its move I believe. It's got to be bared in mind that a funfair version is taken apart at the end of every stint. They aren't supposed to be active for 7 months of the year, constantly.

I assume the cycle order of 1-6 goes in order from least intense to most intense?Just out of interest, does anyone know what cycle Samurai operates on, generally, when it is open to the public? After experiencing it on "it's most intense and longest cycle", I'm just slightly curious as to what I'm generally experiencing..

Fright Nights 2011 saw some Cycle 6's I believe. Genuinely came off it thinking "Holy crap! Where'd THAT come from?!". This was at about 9:50pm though, and there were only about fifteen riders altogether. The guy operating was awesome; really friendly, absolutely hilarious and really got what little crowd there was going for the last ride of the night - I came off the ride and it was dead on 10pm - so we'd had an extended ride too! :o