Samurai

Phill

Definitely got on programme 6 when I last went on samurai a week or so ago.

You can't have done, it physically cannot handle the cycle anymore and the Operator would get a disciplinary if they ran it (apparently) on cycle 6. You must have had cycle 5, although it has been pretty intense as of late...

You can't have done, it physically cannot handle the cycle anymore and the Operator would get a disciplinary if they ran it (apparently) on cycle 6. You must have had cycle 5, although it has been pretty intense as of late...

I think you are wrong.Was told explicitly last week that we had a cycle 6, it was long and better than normal to support this and I have no reason to disbelieve them.It may be that they have reprogrammed the cycles to be a bit less intense if the old girl ain't up to it? But I don't think they have.

Well I just went on a topscan at the traveling fair circuit called Funderworld here in Bristol, and all I can say is, wow.I don't know what to think really. It was insane, and faster than any Topscan I've ever seen or been on. It was violent and aggressive and contorted me in all different directions, I've never greyed out on a ride before but it happened today. In fact I'm still hurting.It kind of made me appreciate how floaty and comfortable Samurai is, but at the same time made me realise what the same ride is actually capable of. I understand entirely why they don't run it on max settings though, as its just way to violent, it makes Saw look like a B&M.

Well I just went on a topscan at the traveling fair circuit called Funderworld here in Bristol

;) FUNDERWORLD'S BACK?!Are they travelling again or is it a one-off in Bristol? Used to love going a few years back when they called to Colchester, Essex. Used to be open until the early hours and was an epic night every year :wub:

As far as I know, these days they only ever come together in Bristol, once a year. As they have been for I'd say a good 10 years now.The Mellors group just put up an observation wheel in the City Center too, so they're probably quite friendly with Bristol city council right now, so I'd suspect they probably pump some sort of cash into it to keep them coming back.It's a shame because the set price format is well worth the money, they had the refurbed runaway minetrain from AA, A topscan, A KMG Speed, and a KMG freakout, which just these 4 alone at a normal fair would cost more than entry, never mind the supporting rides. But I guess its only really financially viable after a certain threshold of visitors.(Sorry to go off topic)

Samurai and it's cycles;

1 & 2 are the 'normal' ones, nothing bad, just the short, standard ones.

3 - cannot comment.

4 - Intense and moderate length

5 - Reverse of 4, just, not quite as good (in my opinion)

6 - Longest, begins by the ride moving to the left (as you look at it), doing a windmill, and then doing 3 'sections', ie, goes in one direction for a while, changes direction, and then changes direction once more, before ending. (ie: 3 sections to the cycle). This is a good and long cycle, although 4 is arguably better.

Cycle 6 is fine, the ride can handle it, it just struggles to park. I had cycle 6 very recently, yeah, it's perfectly capable of handling it, but struggles to park from it.

And before anyone tries to tear me apart, when a group of your best mates are all in this R&A area, they tend to give you the cycle you ask for.

Oh, and the cycle at the top - actually, it's pretty good, just very very short; observe how many inversions each row gets - more than you often get on Samurai!

I thought 6 did the same cycle as last year when I rode a couple of weeks back, although it didn't feel as forceful by quite some way. Forcefulness can obviously vary wildly and pretty much randomly depending on where you sit and I assumed I'd been a bit unlucky.

If the sequence is not the same it is near on identical to before, but could it be it is going through the same motions but the whole thing has been slowed down a touch?

• 2 months later...

Was waiting in the pod lines for the next ride on Tuesday and before I knew it midride, a lady's shoe flew off her foot and straight into the foliage behind the control cabin. It really astounded me just how fast it went and had it come towards the queue line it could have easily hurt someone. Luckily must of the queue saw it happen and learnt from the woman's experience after the operator promptly reminded everyone to secure loose articles and if they cannot be secured, especially shoes, they must be left in the boxes.

I swear to god the time before last I went to Thorpe in March it was very quiet and getting dark (March time) it was about 4pm and the cycle was the most intense and longest cycle I have ever endured on it. Now I don't know whether the cycle was on 6 but we were on for a VERY long time and flying all over the place.

Completely agree with you Jamie, was also there and the ride was terrible! Literally the worst ride I have *ever* had on it. 2 turns backwards and then forwards and then it faffed around rotating twice at about 1mph trying to zero.

Really disappointing to have it open late, have a big queue, give a rubbish ride, break down for rest of day...