Samurai

Phill

This was the video I shot of it yesterday on Saturday, it was on a great setting but the first initial parking attempts were atrocious like in this video, it got much better though :P

If your wondering why it sounds bassy it was picking up X in the background lol

Good to hear that it's open! Is it running any faster/better than it was last year after getting new parts?

Whilst I chose not to ride it having seen the speed of loading / offloading (will wait until later in the year), I did think that from a spectator point of view it looked like a huge improvement on the previous seasons offering for quite some time now.

This was the video I shot of it yesterday on Saturday, it was on a great setting but the first initial parking attempts were atrocious like in this video, it got much better though :P

If your wondering why it sounds bassy it was picking up X in the background lol

Firstly, how loud is X now that you can hear it near Samurai!? Surely in the Colossus queue line it must be quite annoying...

That definitely looks like an improvement but that random long pause at the end looked odd and certainly won't help throughput.

Just out of interest, physics AS Level and all, how does Samurai spin? Is it to do with alternating currents creating a magnetic force that causes it (Don't know if that explanation is right) as I see on the top of the arm it rotates around a thick set of orangey brown, what look like wires with a black contact

Had a pretty decent ride on it on Sunday morning, then went back on for what I hoped would be an even better cycle in the last hour as the ride was walk-on. Unfortunately the op had decided to put the ride on the lamest setting, probably to get home faster... We didn't even spin a second direction and it lasted about 30s.

• 3 weeks later...

The main arm and cross arm have an encoder or sensor to detect its postions. The loweing sensor is done on the main arms, if you sit at the back by the tower you will see the switches on the hydraulic arms to tell the ride it's lowered.

Just for refrence as well, Top scans don't use normal electric motors, they use hydraulic motors which are obviously powered by electricity. The bars are controlled by pneumatics (air pressure).

• 2 weeks later...

Samurai was on a nice settting yesterday and I had three good rides. However, the loading/unloading of the ride was just too slow. The ride was only moving about every 5-6mins as the ride team were walking around slowly doing the restraints. I reckon it could have gone about every 3 minutes if this was done efficiently.

However my main problem is the platform numbers. Two times we ended up at different rows because everyone was just sitting anywhere they wanted. I hope they can find somehow a better system for this

However my main problem is the platform numbers. Two times we ended up at different rows because everyone was just sitting anywhere they wanted. I hope they can find somehow a better system for this

The system has been in use for 15 years and works fine. The batcher just has to bother to tell people, that's all. Arrowed lines to follow wouldn't hurt I suppose.

The system has been in use for 15 years and works fine. The batcher just has to bother to tell people, that's all. Arrowed lines to follow wouldn't hurt I suppose.

Platform numbers have only been in use for 10 years, since at Chessie the numbers were only on the pods themselves, so naturally trying to find the right allocated seating row was a lot more nightmarish than it is now...

They don't tend to do the whole "Rows 1 and 6, 2 and 5, 3 and 4" thing anymore do they? That probably doesn't help...

I had a great ride on Samurai, It was on a good cycle and runs a lot faster than it did last year. Never used to bother with the ride before because it was crap but will certainly ride it more now. Only got round to doing it once today as they needed 15 people in the morning and there wasn't anyone around. One of the speakers on the left was very annoying, making a very annoying noise.

I agree, people on our row had to move because 2 random people just decided to sit there. The host does tell you what row you are on, but I don't think people take any notice of it really haha.