Samurai

Phill

39 minutes ago, Stuntman707 said:

Samurai must be on it's last legs by now. They're still keeping it going despite how tame I've found it compared to the one I did at Hyde Park a few years ago.

To be fair it has run relatively well the last few seasons. I've had some of my best rides on it (whilst at Thorpe at least) the last two or three seasons. Also going back 8 or so years it would regularly die for a good 2 months out of the season (usually around May and Fright nights) from what I remember. 

I do remember that ride on the WW one though. It was insane wasnt it! 

10 hours ago, Stuntman707 said:

Samurai must be on it's last legs by now. They're still keeping it going despite how tame I've found it compared to the one I did at Hyde Park a few years ago.

I said this about three or four years ago when it and Slammer would take turns in being down for half a season. Then Samurai rose from the ashes and it has been pretty well behaved for a few years now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The difference this year compared to previous years when it has awful reliability is it seems to be happening in shorter bursts.

In the past Samurai would run pretty reliably then be down for a month or two. 

This year it's had 3 extended periods of closure already, for at least 3 weeks or so.

I'm no engineer, and I'm sure there's plenty of possible explanations behind it. But it doesn't feel like a good sign, does it

1 hour ago, JoshC. said:

The difference this year compared to previous years when it has awful reliability is it seems to be happening in shorter bursts.

In the past Samurai would run pretty reliably then be down for a month or two. 

This year it's had 3 extended periods of closure already, for at least 3 weeks or so.

I'm no engineer, and I'm sure there's plenty of possible explanations behind it. But it doesn't feel like a good sign, does it

If its like Thorpe of old…3rd party parts or old reconditioned parts caused samurai no end of issues

I hear it’s a big job with the ride needing to be folded down. They are waiting for a part from the manufacturer. The ride is old and overworked. As for its future I can’t see it staying but Merlin have it on the 2024 drawings so let’s wait and see.

18 hours ago, ZeroG said:

I hear it’s a big job with the ride needing to be folded down. They are waiting for a part from the manufacturer. The ride is old and overworked. As for its future I can’t see it staying but Merlin have it on the 2024 drawings so let’s wait and see

2024 drawings? 

It has been up and down a lot this season, and I have heard that after its most recent closure it needed a lot of work. 

If they were getting rid of it, I'd be surprised they removed it so quickly. It's easier, and likely more cost effective, to just leave it in situ until end of the season, when the manpower is more available and engineers aren't focusing on running the park. So I do expect it's being removed with the view to do work to repair it.

Equally, one has to wonder at one point they cut their losses with Samurai. And if they do, what they do in turn? Surely at some point it's more sensible to buy a new top scan? And even if they decide not to, the park ideally can't lose a flat ride, especially in that section of the park.