Thorpe Farm

zkk

• 5 months later...

Hey, if you go to Sunken Garden and stand on a bench, you can see the old harbour where the Thorpe Ferry stopped. It is intact with it's pirate flag still flying! Aw... I really miss the farm. It just been abandoned now, everything is still there, Pot Bellie's, the old barns, even the playground is intact. I wonder what will happen to this area in future? You can see it on Streetview, just go to Coldharbour Lane, Thorpe. You can also get to it by Monk's Walk.

• 5 months later...

Yes, I have pictures of the farm and how it's being used now with plants and greenary.All the listed buildings are still there as is the old ferry jetty. Very strange over there now and a great deal of what was once publc areas, are now flooded. You'll also find the Stealth car over there too!

• 5 years later...

So, who here remembers what Thorpe park had to offer while open?!

An incredible little location away from all main attractions,accessible by train or boat only, providing a chilled out atmosphere surrounded by cute animals!

I remember when it closed and it was heartfelt, I still remember billy the goat who used to come and and headbutt my leg every time I would go visit...

Realistically would you want it back if it was an option to be revived?

I remember it being quite small even being viewed through my young child 'everything is massive' eyes, with pretty much one big shed of animals and some horses and other bits outside. The excitement for me was the train ride there really, through the train wash.

I have fond memories of it too, but the farm would be well out of place in today's Thorpe Park.

(Ps, this should be in past, probably merged with an existing thread which probably already exists. I'll do it when I'm not on my mobile!)

I used to love the farm - but the water buses used to freak me out a bit.  Was gutted when it closed but, as Pluk says - the farm wouldn't fit with Thorpe at its current time.

It was a nice place to go and chill - I can't see them getting animals again but to have a little island to go to would be great - there are few place at Thorpe where you can escape - ok there is Sunken Gardens but it's hardly huge and you can hear Stealth.

Realistically I can't see it happening as they would have to sort out CCR - and I imagine that would cost a fair amount

The Farm is used for another purposes now - the buildings are used for storage and the Landscaping team use it develop some plants / trees before planting them around the park

Since there's so little space for that sort of stuff to be done elsewhere, it's unlikely the Farm area would ever be opened to guests ever again

1 hour ago, Odyessy said:

The Farm is used for another purposes now - the buildings are used for storage and the Landscaping team use it develop some plants / trees before planting them around the park

Since there's so little space for that sort of stuff to be done elsewhere, it's unlikely the Farm area would ever be opened to guests ever again

If they are using it for the purpose of developing plants/trees then that's pretty cool, anything to help the environment is a thumbs up from me

I don't think growing flowers is anything to do with helping the environment...

It's a resource for the landscaping department yes. Very eerie to see what's happened to it, it had so many people through it in its time and was much more than a few sheds. It was from another time though, when Thorpe Park was not a thrill ride park and was more of a big leisure park.

The park truly felt like it had been cut in half when it left, as no day was complete without the train ride over to the other half. It wouldnt work today though, I mean obviously it wouldnt. The nature of the park is so different really. Luckily it won't be demolished, but its a little shocking to see the fields where the train used to drive through now underwater, places that exist in my memory like just yesterday!

1 minute ago, Wumbamillio said:

I don't think growing flowers is anything to do with helping the environment...

It's a resource for the landscaping department yes. Very eerie to see what's happened to it, it had so many people through it in its time and was much more than a few sheds. It was from another time though, when Thorpe Park was not a thrill ride park and was more of a big leisure park.

The park truly felt like it had been cut in half when it left, as no day was complete without the train ride over to the other half. It wouldnt work today though, I mean obviously it wouldnt. The nature of the park is so different really. Luckily it won't be demolished, but its a little shocking to see the fields where the train used to drive through now underwater, places that exist in my memory like just yesterday!

Flowers and plants are obviously important... I mean you even admit it in your next sentence :L

Always good to reminisce about past rides & attractions such as this though.

They are the park landscape department and they're using the area for their workshops, growing decorative flowers/shrubs to plant around the park. Not for some kind of environmental resource as you seemed to suggest.

Literally just workshops and areas grow decorative shrubbery and arrange in the park like they do every year. I didn't say landscaping wasnt important!

11 hours ago, Duncanc said:

The environment is helped as the more nature grows.

Until they dig the flowers up and throw them away once summer's over, because they are a landscape department, their job is to prune trees and cut grass most the time. I dont think trenching up and flooding most of the farm helped the environment, it's just being used as a base for storage and landscaping resources honestly.

There were always houses just next to Thorpe Farm, a village just behind the walls, but it surprised me to learn this as it always felt like it was isolated in its own far off world.

14 hours ago, Wumbamillio said:

Until they dig the flowers up and throw them away once summer's over, because they are a landscape department, their job is to prune trees and cut grass most the time. I dont think trenching up and flooding most of the farm helped the environment, it's just being used as a base for storage and landscaping resources honestly.

There were always houses just next to Thorpe Farm, a village just behind the walls, but it surprised me to learn this as it always felt like it was isolated in its own far off world.

Way to dig to deep and go ahead and depress yourself! Chill chill, flowers & plans maturely help as they're natural,