Vortex

Lewie900

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Vortex has been closed in pre-caution after a similar ride by KMG in California broke apart mid-cycle killing 1 and injuring 7.

At first, I thought that perhaps the cause was the floor rising during the ride and the arm striking the floor but apparently it had just come apart by itself.

This would be more shocking if it was indeed not a malfunction but a lack maintenance and poor state inspection standards. Either way, Thorpe are not taking any chances with these disasters lately which is reassuring to see.

58 minutes ago, Stuntman707 said:

Vortex has been closed in pre-caution after a similar ride by KMG in California broke apart mid-cycle killing 1 and injuring 7.

At first, I thought that perhaps the cause was the floor rising during the ride and the arm striking the floor but apparently it had just come apart by itself.

This would be more shocking if it was indeed not a malfunction but a lack maintenance and poor state inspection standards. Either way, Thorpe are not taking any chances with these disasters lately which is reassuring to see.

Vortex has been open the last 4 days 

• 3 months later...

If memory serves me correctly, Vortex hasn't received this extensive maintenance checks in quite a while (if at all!)...

At the very least, I can't remember ever noticing Vortex standing lower down before whenever I've passed the park.

Presumably an extra check following the incident in America this year.  Still always nice to see behind the scenes in any case..

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know what’s been up with vortex? Been shut at least a month now, can’t remember if it’s even opened this year? And I’ve been the last 3 weekends in a row and haven’t seen any work done, doesn’t even look like any obvious parts are missing... just looks like another slammer/loggers now ?

hey.

I've been watching this topic as a guest.

I really hope that what ever's wrong with vortex isn't longterm.

A. I want to get a ride on it this season (and if it stays closed, I won't be able to)

B. I never got to ride bubbleworks on it's final day of operation, and if this is closed forever, I've missed my chance with Vortex as well.

and C. how can I call myself EmilyLovesVortex, if vortex is going to be removed?. I'll have to change it to... EmilyLovedVortex, or something referring to vortex anyway. lol.

I'll continue to watch this thread as a guest, I doubt I'll log in much to post- just interested in what happens with this ride

so has anyone heard anything?

it's been a week since I posted to this thread. yeah, okay, perhaps I'm obsessive, but I'm after news of it. not even the wikipedia page has any info on it- I think it's safe to say it's going, which, given the fact it's lasted what.. I want to say 17 years (I'm using the asumption Vortex was installed in the lost city in 2001), though saying that, am I thinking of quantum?

Vortex did indeed open in 2001.

There's been no news either way about Vortex. It's currently just listed as unavailable / closed, but there's no indication that it's leaving either. Usually in these situations (where a ride is closed for a long period of time with no obvious work happening to it), the park are waiting on behind the scenes stuff (like a new part, for example) to come in.

I'd be very surprised if it doesn't return at some point.

Apparently Vortex has The Swarms wind sensor as The Swarms old wind sensor broke and to keep a major ride running they swapped sensors which meant vortex was running without one which explains why at the start of the 2018 season during windy days the gondula was getting carried very high and shutting down regulary, this may not be true but this is what ive heard from staff and other enthusiasts and they could be waiting on a new wind sensor for Vortex!.