Vortex

Lewie900

4 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

They also mention in the photo descriptions that a "chair" and "seat" is what's fallen off when that isn't the case - but hey - who needs facts...

6 hours ago, ChessingtonSam said:

Only The Sun would label a bit of foam falling off a ride as a "horror high speed incident"

Woah... Any part that's come off mid motion, non-critical or not, can do some serious damage to someone. That foam back is actually quite a large lump and after being flung off can be traveling at some speed, and only needs to hit someones head to give concussion or some serious damage. It's part of the seat thats come off, so the Sun are correct. 

This shouldn't be down played, because its foam. This is still serious. 

7 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

I don't know too much about Vortex, but from that clip - it looks like the ride was e-stopped straight away, am I right? Or is that the sound of Rush.

No that was the sound of Rush :P Vortex doesn’t make any noise when stopped. The operator would’ve done a cycle stop/soft stop, as an e-stop on Vortex would bring the ride to an end, but would prevent the floor rising ?

I couldn’t help but laugh at parts of that article - NOT the incident itself of course, but the overly dramatic way it was written and just the general Sun language ? And a chair?!

I find the part about the staff “standing around laughing” odd and hard to believe though. 

This must have happened very soon after I came off it as I rode it at about 2:50!

Whilst queueing for the ride there were long delays in loading guests and initially upon joining queue there was about 5 minutes of just a few guests loaded (as shown in pic below) which was odd in itself.  Platformers then wrapped a yellow belt around one of the seats before the restraints were lifted again and guests added to all the remaining seats (bar the closed off seat). The ride was simply dispatched and started following that.

About 3 cycles later I was on, so must have happened very soon after if they say 3pm!

Screenshot_20180917-193816.png

13 hours ago, ProudToServe said:

Woah... Any part that's come off mid motion, non-critical or not, can do some serious damage to someone. That foam back is actually quite a large lump and after being flung off can be traveling at some speed, and only needs to hit someones head to give concussion or some serious damage. It's part of the seat thats come off, so the Sun are correct. 

This shouldn't be down played, because its foam. This is still serious. 

Well obviously, but "horror" is the same word they used to describe what happened on The Smiler, and obviously this doesn't come close to that. 

Something I've always wondered about when it comes to "closed off seats" are the seats closed off because of a restraint issue, or other issues? I always thought that when a seat was out of order the restraint wasn't working properly, or is it just down to a number of things? 

13 hours ago, ChessingtonSam said:

Well obviously, but "horror" is the same word they used to describe what happened on The Smiler, and obviously this doesn't come close to that. 

Parts flying of a ride mid cycle, is horror, no matter what it is, as no one knows what it is at the time. We only know it was a foam thanks to merlin comments. 

Seeing as Horror means intense feeling of fear, shock, or disgust, it suits this event perfectly, that's exactly how I'd feel if I was there.

• 6 months later...
On 4/9/2019 at 12:46 PM, Ivsetti said:

Is it just me or is this ride swinging higher this year compared to last year?

It felt to me and my group on Sunday as if the ride was doing far more high swings than it has ever done making the ride last longer. Maybe it's been reprogrammed. Any ideas anyone? 

6 minutes ago, Mark9 said:

Could depend on when you rode. I seem to remember that you get far longer rides in the morning as the ride hasn't 'warmed' up yet. Of course that could be a decade old information as I haven't had a morning ride on Vortex since 2005 ?

In fairness this was probably my first morning ride in about the same timescale so could well be that same reason. I've only ever usually ridden it in the mid to late afternoon. 

• 2 weeks later...