Vortex

Lewie900

The weird thing is we were running it 2 weeks before preview day and like my comment a whole back it was all working and swinging along nicely because I know every one on the park walk over to see how good it was it really look amazing but on the Wednesday this week it kind of started falling back into what some of you rode today so I'm baffled as to how it's change so quickly

It is worth giving the credit again that work clearly has been carried out, like I said; it's definitely rotating faster. Usually it's like 'ooh look it spins' whereas today it gave a slight centrifugal force, which I've never noticed Vortex do before. Equally, whilst it wasn't overly high, when I was dragged down from the top of a swing, it gave a little force; something which normally I don't feel (I just hate Vortex because it swings, and I look down and urgh it makes me feel ill).

Went on it around 2 today, and was probably the worst ride on vortex I've ever had. The video doesn't show it, but when it first starts it shakes and vibrates loads, it's like it's struggling to get up. Not too good for the 3rd day of it being open.

Thats incredibly poor - however, it is like when a car has a clutch which keeps slipping. Presuming its not been reprogrammed to be less intense (Samuari and its cracks), its not a disaster, presuming its fairly shortly fixed.

Its struggling so much to even reach that height though, be very surprised if its been done intentionally.

• 2 weeks later...

No word of a lie here, but Vortex is performing perfectly today!

All pre-recorded announcements were being used, music sounds better than ever and most importantly, it's reaching its full swing beyond the 90 degree point!

(A recorded video of this will follow shortly.)

But what I find interesting is 2 days ago, it performed at barely 90 degrees with the slight "stutter" still present as it began to swing.

However, none of this was found today. Speedy swings, beyond 90 degrees and no stutter at the beginning.

I think the reason as to why there is stutter and low swing angles sometimes is because of the default setting the operator chooses to use. Maybe when Vortex was last calibrated for the "short" setting a while ago, they slowed the ride down and this caused the issues present all of last year.

Today for instance, there was around 8 full swings all beyond 90 degrees, but on Friday morning, only 3 full swings barely reaching 90 degrees.

I'm beginning to think there's nothing wrong with Vortex's operation. Instead, the problems are being caused by the default setting used on busier days...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

No word of a lie here, but Vortex is performing perfectly today!

All pre-recorded announcements were being used, music sounds better than ever and most importantly, it's reaching its full swing beyond the 90 degree point!

(A recorded video of this will follow shortly.)

But what I find interesting is 2 days ago, it performed at barely 90 degrees with the slight "stutter" still present as it began to swing.

However, none of this was found today. Speedy swings, beyond 90 degrees and no stutter at the beginning.

I think the reason as to why there is stutter and low swing angles sometimes is because of the default setting the operator chooses to use. Maybe when Vortex was last calibrated for the "short" setting a while ago, they slowed the ride down and this caused the issues present all of last year.

Today for instance, there was around 8 full swings all beyond 90 degrees, but on Friday morning, only 3 full swings barely reaching 90 degrees.

I'm beginning to think there's nothing wrong with Vortex's operation. Instead, the problems are being caused by the default setting used on busier days...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I'm glad to hear this since it was running awfully on AP day. Looking forward to seeing the video uploaded :)

Wow! Not only was it reaching more than the normal height, but it was lasting for a long time, giving loads of max height swings, which is great to see!

It's a shame that Vortex doesn't manage to pull this off all the time, because it''s a great ride when it runs like this but is a disappointing and a waste of time when it's running bad. I can't remember the last time I've had a good ride on Vortex like this, must of been 2012.

I hope that Vortex carries on running as well as it was in this video and that I'll get a chance to ride it like this, but knowing how appaling it was running last year, I can't imagine it lasting very long ;(

There are no settings ie short or long for the opp it's runs on a set timer we just push a button computer does the rest

Then how come the cycle sometimes lasts different lengths? Or is it just dependent on the height of the swings?

Then how come the cycle sometimes lasts different lengths? Or is it just dependent on the height of the swings?

It doesn't actually run different lengths, I think people just start to think that it does because it sometimes takes ages to get itself to height and by the time it does; it's finishing again.

What's confusing is that if Vortex has timer cycles, why did almost all of the used cycles this month (annual pass day) and last year have the "stutter" as it began to swing and why did it take so long to get to the 90 degree angle? Compared to today where it went beyond 90 degrees quicker with no stutter.

Maybe Thorpe have decided the lower it's swing height and speed, so it can stop quicker to load/unload riders on a busier day?

What's confusing is that if Vortex has timer cycles, why did almost all of the used cycles this month (annual pass day) and last year have the "stutter" as it began to swing and why did it take so long to get to the 90 degree angle? Compared to today where it went beyond 90 degrees quicker with no stutter.

Maybe Thorpe have decided the lower it's swing height and speed, so it can stop quicker to load/unload riders on a busier day?

It is meant to be a thrill ride though and if it swings low you don't really get a thrill at all? :L

It doesn't actually run different lengths, I think people just start to think that it does because it sometimes takes ages to get itself to height and by the time it does; it's finishing again.

That's correct it's on a pre set timer if it takes 6 small swings to start to swing then that's like half the time gone already at the moment last 2 days it's been swinging really good at the start meaning the cycle time will last into the hight it's meant to go as soon as we push start the timer starts we do not control how long it swings for

Correct me if I'm wrong Vortex workers, but the cycles are longer in the morning due to the cold motor. Once it warms up its far more efficient at slowing the ride and reducing the amount of swings you get.

• 2 weeks later...