Jobs..

Marc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm stuck working part-time at sainsbury's, been applying to loads of places but not getting anywhere with any of them. Really frustrating now :(

Currently got the same problem although in no work at all at the mo. :( Quite frustrating being as nearly all of my friends at Sixth Form now have jobs but a few had advantages where I didn't from having family in certain jobs where they can get somewhere easier or by having qualifications such as lifeguarding at the pool after training for it over the summer holidays for 1 whole week... I had 1 interview at WHSmith but wasn't successful. I think it's my hours, having Sixth Form 5 days a week and not being able to do evenings unless it's in my town (which is small and has very few shops etc, they're all really fussy as to who they employ because they get flooded with applications whenever anything comes up). So I can do weekends and maybe 1 or 2 evenings but would have to rely on parents getting me there because there is only 1 major bus service and the railway station is 9 miles away where I live which isn't too good either.

Just that annoying feeling of applying and never hearing back from the majority. :angry: Currently waiting on 2 more I applied for at the end of last week though so hopefully I might hear something back. :wacko:

Don't give up Luke :) It's a tough out there at the moment in this ****ty country. Getting through to an interview is a big thing these days considering how many applications they have! :)

I had an interview at WHSmith a few years ago and was unsuccessful too, and I have the customer service experience, so don't worry about them ;)

I got a no from Asda the other week; no offence but considering the people I've seen working in there I'd have thought I'd have got an interview! :ninja:

I also got a no from Waitrose last year. But offered an interview from Sainsburys but was unavailable on the interview day but they were lovely and said it won't affect any future applications :)

This might sound daft but when I was applying for jobs at 16 and mainly looking at shops, I'm sure they used to focus more on customer service and being tidy and polite, whereas it seems to be more sales-orientated these days and more demand for sales experience. Grr. I guess with it being so hard they have to do this (or I'm imagining it :P )!

I just really regret leaving the cattery last year for that stupid pier! By leaving, they gave my weekend hours to the other girls there so now, instead of working every Saturday and school holidays etc, it's no weekends and just holidays :(

But I am grateful I do have a job :)

Volunteer work people! Yeah you don't get paid BUT you do gain experience, therefore that vicious circle is broken.

Even if I can get paid work this summer (considering I live right next to the Hop Farm I'm hoping I will be able to, if not then mehhh. Student loans have given me enough money for the summer), I'm still going to volunteer at Maidstone Prison. Although this is more for my degree... still, it gives me experience!

A few years ago I jacked in an easy, local and well paid job (running a Sainsburys, as seems to be the Saturday job of choice round here funnily enough) to do something I found to be worthwhile and enjoyable for a lot less money.

Best thing I ever did. If you can, enjoy your work.

Interesting. I'm going to see out the rest of my contract and should save a good chunk of money then see where I fancy going from there. Weird how I've suddenly changed my mind, was always convinced that money would bring happiness, certainly not the case.

For those who need 'Previous experience' when applying for jobs, try putting the likes of Woolworths / HMV / Blockbuster on your CV?

I've had a few jobs but I'm going into volunteering at the moment as the hours will work for me and my current problems. Needless to say Dad's not happy but at the end of the day if it helps me get better and is healthier for me in the long run then yeah I'm doing that. Don't worry too much Han, do some volunteering and just do as much as you think you can do =)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been very fortunate with my jobs and never had much problems getting one - which is extremely lucky especially the last few years. I remember at one stage whenever I turned up at a meet people were like saying what you working as now as due to circumstances I had a lot of jobs in a small period.

However now I'm very lucky I've landed a very secure and well paid job as a Finance Manager and the owner of the business has taken me under his wing and is training me up to director level and beyond for the future. #LIG

I do contract work, earning a fair bit of money. It is boring, I can be without work for a fair bit at a time, I recieve no holiday pay, I often have to move around the country. But as I said, the money is pretty ridiculous. Am I happy in what I do? No. The money doesn't seem to make me happy at work as I spend it on pretty much nothing, I've saved 10k over the last year so that should help a bit towards the future.

The question is, would it be worth taking a Full Time job which you feel you would enjoy. I'm tempted to. I'm out of work again in a few weeks and am looking for something more enjoyable. After all, you spend 5/7 days each week of your life at work, if you don't enjoy it at all, then maybe you should look for a change?

Really not too sure what to do.

• 1 month later...

I've been at Waitrose for three years now. It's amazing to think back in 2010 when I was unemployed, I was on Job Seekers Allowance and so depressed. Trips to theme parks were a luxury I just couldn't afford, the idea of going to Europa Park or even Chessington was literally a pipe dream, not a chance. Not even being able to go to hotels, train travel, alcohol even being able to afford food was a real struggle.

I'm in some ways an example that if you really do belief and fight with determination that you can get yourself into what is effectively a career, earn a living, can move in with your partner and still afford the odd luxury without living off the benefit system. When I was on JSA I really felt like the lowest form of life. It is what will always encourage me to work hard and appreciate my employment because when it comes to it, being at the very lowest ebb, inspires you to become self sufficient and reliant. Something I am all the better for.

I can really relate to the last part of Mark's post. In 2009 I was unemployed and not myself. Looking back ,I may have actually been suffering mild depression but not realised it. After some extremely bad news in Feb 2010, it somehow spurred me on to better myself and gave me a bit of a confidence boost. I pushed myself to look for work and it was that year I got my job at the cattery. And my attitude has been as strong since :)

It's a shame that there are those on benefits who take the P and give the ones of us that are honest and hard-working a bad image. I end up feeling awful that I only work part-time - which isn't a choice, the cattery don't have any full-time positions going - but it shouldn't have to be like that; I've worked my arse off since I was 16 and when I do have hours at work, I put my time and effort in and I've been told I'm one of the best there. I enjoy working and having something to do. I still have to claim benefits and I really hate it, I spend ages every day looking for either a second job, or a new, full-time one, but as I'm sure you will all appreciate, it's really tough out there. I'm lucky if I find something I can actually apply for (by that I mean there's loads of manager jobs, van drivers, etc etc). And even when I do, because it's so tough they make it harder and you have to have experience. And yes I know about voluntary work, I already do that :) I appreciate the reality of it all, whereas my brother for example, is relying on this proof-reading course and his English degree to get work to come to him. He's living in a dream world and it drives me mad! He has no excuse to at least not try to look and apply for something. If me and my mum (who suffer with depression and bipolar respectively) can do it and battle through our difficulties, then he should be able to shift his butt! Infact that also makes me and mum a bit of an inspiration for those with depression etc and has made me realise how strong we both are ^_^