Jobs..

Marc

• 8 months later...

I'm sure everyone will be fascinated by my amazingly interesting job... I work the nightshift at Sainsbury's Thanet on a Wednesday, Thursday & Saturday 2000-0000, only 12 hours a week but I've got to juggle sixthform and a girlfriend on top of it, there's always plenty of overtime going and I get £6.91 an hour which is pretty good, once the store closes at 10 there's a lot of banter and the shift goes relatively quickly, so there you have it... I can tell everyone is wanting to know more... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Just had the most depressing conversation with a careers advisor at university about getting into clinical psychology and how only 10% of applicants are getting in at the moment and the percentage is dropping every year

On the plus side I'm averaging a first and have an idea of my few years after my undergraduate, so with a pinch of positivity I can be the 10%

Edited by Tommy
Double post - Naughty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm getting my first ever job at Adventure Island next year. Actually I was wondering has anyone on the forum worked at Adventure Island? Could you give me a Idea of what the interview process is like and give me some tips! Would really help me out thanks :D

anywhere up to 1000 applicants you have to be enthusiastic. You more likely getting a job at somewhere like legoland.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

has anyone ever worked at Disneyland Paris or know someone who has worked there? could you tell me what it's like to work there? is the pay good? do you get to choose what ride you work on or do they assign you a ride to work on? do you have to be fluent in french??. if anyone could help me out it would be very much appreciated !! :) 

I think it's safe to assume you would need to be fluent in French, and probably be able to talk a bit of another language or two (German or Spanish I reckon they'd like)...

No idea on anything else, most people from the UK who end up working there tend to go into the character side of it...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

As far as I know 'Stockvale' encompasses the whole of the businesses operations at Southend Seafront and is ultimately run as one entity, so the roles between sites can, to an extent, be interchangeable. 

I would advise that it would be best to have an idea what you would like to do for them and to be able to tell them why you want to do that particularly, but from the viewpoint of why it would be beneficial to have you do that for them rather than it just being what you fancy doing. Think about your skills, your availability, your maturity for responsibility, your customer interactivity, that sort of thing, but tailor it to what they would probably want to see in a ride host rather than a waitress of chip fryer. But if you come across as 'I want to work rides and am interested in nothing else' then they would almost certainly turn you away any for showing inflexibility and a bit of attitude.

If I were in your position I'd go for the job with an open mind, take whatever they offer you, and once you have a foot in the door impress them to the extent that they will give you a try on something you'd rather do after a while.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been working at a cinema in my town for just over a month now, and despite me being really anxious at first as it is very much a customer service role and no matter what area you're on you'll be dealing with customers to some extent, I'm actually enjoying it! I had a catch up of sorts with one of my supervisors who is in charge of recruitment and the like the other day and she has said that she's pleased with me and I just need to stop holding myself back, which really reassured me!

It's only a summer job however you may get kept on if you're deemed good enough, so I can only hope as I'm genuinely happy here, everyone is made to feel welcome and your supervisors and colleague always seem to have your back.