MTDP

MikeC

Gotta love Macks.

Yes. Mark loves Mack. -_-It will be interesting to see what actually happens. Thorpe themselves say they want the next 'big thing' as this is what keeps them in the market. Personally, I don't think that's how the theme park industry should work, but hey ho. So, Thorpe will want the newest attraction on the market. And, they will get it. Unreliable B&M is looking more likely the more I think about it. But hey, in 4 months or under, we'll have plenty to more to go on..

It "could" be a variation of Intamin's Wing Rider Coaster.Definitely think it's a B&M though, it all fits.And guys, why is nobody considering a Pinfari?World's biggest Wacky Worm is on it's way -_-

LOL at the Pinfari joke. I actually did laugh, so that's good. ;PYeah, I agree, it's going to be B&M all the way, Vekoma aren't popular with Merlin, and as you said James, B&M will probably want a slice of the Wing Rider market as Intamin is the only manufacturer of them at the moment. I see this being to protoype going to Gardaland next year and an 'all-flaws-fixed' version arriving at Thorpe once B&M sort out the (most likely) very small flaws of the prototype.

Just had another thought - while I still think it will be B&M, it could be S&S' newer take on the 4D, the concept art which they showcased at Knotts Berry Farm during West Coast Bash this year. It was essentially a cross between their free fly and 4D designs - I'll try and find the pictures again.Edit: Free Fly X-Treme, that was it.Posted ImagePosted ImageThanks to Westcoaster for the pics.

I would'nt go that far, but I did enjoy Europa Park in 2006, with all coasters, bar 1 being Mack.

After Blue Fire, I truely believe Mack are the second best coaster manufacturer in the world. If Thorpe go for anything less then a B&M or Mack then even if their gate figures fly up, I will be dissapointed.

I'll be disappointed of they pick Vekoma, I actually hate Vekoma and they're fast becoming muscled out of the 'big' coaster industry. B&M for me, but they're not cheap, so Intamin will suffice. And seeing as they ivented the Wing Rider market with Furius Baco, it does seem likely because they'll have experience in the design. B&M need to do market research, prototypes, modelling, re-touching, computer-generated concepts etc, etc. to ensure they're own design is flawless, which no doubt will add to the cost... that Gardaland will have to pay.Hopefully Thorpe go sensible and choose B&M, they should get the second 4-D coaster cheaper as it won't be the prototype. -_-:(

Well.... -_- They're beyond uncomfortable (don't usually care about comfort but Vekoma take the muffin) and I'd rather see a beasty box-track than a curly, skeletal snake spine sort of track. Mind you, there are some Vekoma coasters that are passable, I.e. Stealth (California's Great America).

Well I've only been on one white knuckle rollercoaster from Vekoma (Infusion, Pleasure Beach) and thought that it was fantastic, but my word it was rough, thankfully it has padding on the restraints. Vekomas can however be smooth, but only rarely. would not like to see a Vekoma at thorpe though.Getting back on topic, just looked at those plans for the 2012 coaster. Looks like it will be a B&M judging by the track style shown in the plans.

From what I know (feel free to correct me, I've only just come back), the reasons Thorpe have deemed a Wooden Coaster inappropriate stand thus:A) The support structures are too dense. This means if you tried to look through the supports your view is noticeably impaired, whereas the slender, steel supports of Nemesis Inferno, Stealth, Colossus, and SAW - The Ride allow maximum visibilty when looking through the coaster and it's supports because they are 'minimal' compared to the complex structure of a Wooden Coaster.B ) Thorpe Park is built on reclaimed land, meaning it was not a naturally occuring isolated land mass surrounded by lakes - the lakes are artificial because back in 1976-1978, RMC re-claimed the land for infilling, but decided it would be cheaper to just flood the surroundings. Because of RMC's laziness, the land is particularly unstable as the water table is very high, and if a heavy, complex structure like a Wooden Coaster's extensive support system was to be placed on the new infills, the land would not be able to support the weight. Thorpe's best bet to overcome this is to build a Wooden Coaster where an existing ride is, so to ensure the land it's built on is settled, and has been there for 10+ years. But this still doesn't solve the issue of support density.C) A pretty petty excuse, but I believe Runnymede deemed a Wooden Coaster too noisy if it were placed on an exposed extremity of Thorpe (á la Treasure Island). I think they requested new trees to be planted to diminish the sound for SAW - The Ride as the noise would travel too easily into the neighbouring villages.Funny thing is, Thorpe claim that re-planting trees is their way of giving back to the environment what they took, but odd's are they re-plant the trees because Runnymede told them to.Hope that clears things up, much as I'd like a Wooden Coaster, the negative impacts combined are enough for Runnymede to just snort at the idea.

I totally missed this until Fever pointed me in the right direction.I'm excited by the expansion plans. I think that Thorpe will be adding the more marketable of the 2 coasters in 2012 for quite simply one reason, The Olympics. 2012 should see a big increase in visitors to the attraction anyway but with a new ride it'll give them a chance to show off.Also, what's the state of play with the hotel? Once the 2 coasters and 5 flats are built, there will be a very good line up of rides and I'd imagine Thorpe would want to attract people from further away, even into Europe. Afterall, they are perfectly placed to run cheap transfers from Heathrow to the park.Chessington is now called Chessington Resort...How long until Thorpe follow suit?

Chessington is now called Chessington Resort...How long until Thorpe follow suit?

I would assume that Thorpe Park "Resort" will open in 2013 or 2014.Gardaland seem to be hiding their 2011 rollercoaster a little too much...Maybe its going to Heide Park as they seem to be removing alot of rides and making a lot of space. There is supposed to be a new rollercoaster at all 3 parks. ;)Edit:Here shows Gardaland clearing and preparing land for a "new 2011 ride" http://themepark.nl/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/1370078/Re_Gardaland_krijgt_Prototype_.html#Post1370078

The ongoing in filling are the areas that Thorpe are focussing on for future developments. We may see a return to B&M and there 4d efforts as it will be both innovative and make for good marketing gimmicks. I agree with a lot of members that Mack is the way foward for enthusiasts. Mack keep us purists happier than going for the obvious although I would settle for B&M 2012 and Mack power launch for 2016. A Woodie is the one I would love to see more than any other though. Thorpe is crying out for Airtime Hills its desperate for them. A woddie like El Toro is stuff dreams are made of. S&S F1 coaster is another design wetting my appetite these days. This is exciting times for Thorpe coming up I feel. By 2016 upto 8 coasters in the park would be something special in the short space of time. Some renders of what Thorpe Park skyline will look like by 2016 can only make things more intriguing. A new coaster for 2012 would see a lot of activity on the site by next May, August 2011 track arrive. Jan 2012 testing. Feb 2011 press launch. Mar 2012 ride open.All this is not far away.

Welcome magic mill! To Thorpe Park Mania... we're quite nice people to be honest.And I think I speak on behalf of the majority of the forum that we agree with you said about Thorpe needing Air-Time. A piddly little hill on Colossus and SAW's 'Air-Time' hill are all we have. I won't even include Stealth, you get more Air-Time on a see-saw.

Welcome magic mill! To Thorpe Park Mania... we're quite nice people to be honest.And I think I speak on behalf of the majority of the forum that we agree with you said about Thorpe needing Air-Time. A piddly little hill on Colossus and SAW's 'Air-Time' hill are all we have. I won't even include Stealth, you get more Air-Time on a see-saw.

Detonator, Rush and vortex all have a fair bit! Stealth on the tophat too =\