Efteling

Cringle

The part before the lift shows the workshop and the room in front catch fire right as the train starts moving into the lift, doesn't it?

Not exactly. Personally, I'd suggest not looking at the POV again to try and figure it out, otherwise you're just going to spoil the it when you experience the attraction as a whole. :P

The article also mentions the riders hearing the 'Witte Wieven' screaming from the pit...and all I hear from POVs and offrides are the sound of (I assume) the wheels on the tower.

I never heard the White Women on ride. However, when you're near the drop, you can hear them singing from the hole.

This POV shows the wheels before the lift hill turning!

Does anyone know what the song translates to in English? I know the line at the end says something like "Pride comes before the fall" but I'd love to know what the actual song means!

Also Josh (or others who have ridden it) is there a fire effect behind the train on the preshow? I don't trust Wikipedia so I'll believe it when I hear it from here!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron_1898

Was I the only one who noticed the room go a shade of dark orange before going up the lift hill after the white women go into one of the port holes

Ok, so as (most) of you guys know I'm going to Efteling for two days early November this year (whether I hype it up like my first Disney trip is another story)

Ill be flying to Eindhoven via Stanstead & staying in the NH Wasijik hotel (it's impossible to remember the complete name) for the trip, but just have a few questions I'd be extremely extremely appreciative if answered.

1/ which rides are best done at the start/end of the day?

2/ is there much else around the park to do in the evenings (park closes at 6 both days)

3/ which places would you recommend to eat?

4/ what's the cheapest way of getting tickets?

Also I'm considering doing Toverland on the Friday (which is open 10-6 (according to the website)). How easy can this park be reached from Efteling or Eindhoven by train or bus?

Toverland is apparently AWFUL to reach via public transport... Might be best to find the nearest train station and try and get a taxi...

Not a lot around Efteling post park times... Might be worth eating at the hotel...

I recommend the Pancake House (Polle's Kuchen), because it's fab...

Obviously as with any park, big rides first (Baron, etc), luckily they're all next to each other meaning you don't have to faff between them...

Book online for tickets?

Ok, so as (most) of you guys know I'm going to Efteling for two days early November this year (whether I hype it up like my first Disney trip is another story)

Ill be flying to Eindhoven via Stanstead & staying in the NH Wasijik hotel (it's impossible to remember the complete name) for the trip, but just have a few questions I'd be extremely extremely appreciative if answered.

1/ which rides are best done at the start/end of the day?

2/ is there much else around the park to do in the evenings (park closes at 6 both days)

3/ which places would you recommend to eat?

4/ what's the cheapest way of getting tickets?

5/ Also I'm considering doing Toverland on the Friday (which is open 10-6 (according to the website)). How easy can this park be reached from Efteling or Eindhoven by train or bus?

1)  Baron was getting very big queues at the start of the day whilst we were day (peaked at 150 minutes).  Could be down to the fact it opened that week, but I reckon most people will still end up going there straight away in November.  I'd personally recommend going at around 2-3ish to Baron.

5)  It took us about an hour to travel from Toverland to Efteling by car, and there were very few obvious public transport systems near either park.  Google maps is suggesting it's about 3 hours by public transport to get there from your hotel.  If you were prepared to go through the hassle of travelling, you could do it, since you wouldn't need 8 hours on park to get everything done in my opinion.  To be honest though, the effort and cost of that travel probably wouldn't be worth it!

1)  

5)  It took us about an hour to travel from Toverland to Efteling by car, and there were very few obvious public transport systems near either park.  Google maps is suggesting it's about 3 hours by public transport to get there from your hotel.  If you were prepared to go through the hassle of travelling, you could do it, since you wouldn't need 8 hours on park to get everything done in my opinion.  To be honest though, the effort and cost of that travel probably wouldn't be worth it!

Yeah, I've heard and done some research and Tover does seem pretty difficult to get to without a car (and taxi no doubt would cost me an arm and leg each way) so this will likely be got another trip (or when they get another big thing), besides I don't think I'll have time to do it anyway as the earliest flight I. Can do arrives 10:30 and by the time I'd get to the park (Google) it would be around 2:15pm and even with 6pm closing, just over three and a half hours for a park that's already hard to get to and from doesn't seem worth it.

Would definitely recommend checking out how busy they expect the park to be when you're there on their calendar. They have "quiet" "lively" and "busy". We went on lively days so there were lots of people around but other than Baron the rides were all under 30 minutes. However, every ride seemed to have a long queue line but they were all empty when we went so the park can obviously get heaving (apparently their omnimover the carnival thing can reach 2 hours).

You've got 2 full days which is ample time to do the whole Park and rerides! All depends how long you spend in fairytale woods.

Don't bother going into Kaatshuvel (town next to Efteling) there is literally nothing open at night.

• 1 month later...

Ok, flights & hotel now booked for Efteling,

I'm going out lunchtime on friday the 6th and returning night time on Sunday the 8th November which will give me two days at the park.

with park closings at 6pm and a 'lively' predicted busyness, what's the best thing to do in the evening?

is there anywhere worth seeing in Eindhoven or Tilburg on the friday and would eating at the hotel [NH Waalwijk] be suggested for day one.

Ticket wise thinking of going for the $44 euro one which offers free souvenir, paninni and 30 mins extra entry over the 34 euro one, is that a good idea?

What's the best way to get prepared to see the Aquanora show?

Also, is this true unlike most other major theme parks, the time the park closes is the actual time they stop running the rides [instead pf just closing the queue?] what's the best things to do at the start and end of days?

Not staying onsite? That's a fail...

ERT option is probably ideal then, since you could just walk straight to Baron/Joris/etc.

Aquanura try and stand with Fata Morgana on your left, main entrance to your right for the best view...

In the evening, no idea what's in Tilburg, Eindhoven probably has a few more things cos of being a bigger city... There's pretty much nothing near the park though...

When we were there, the ERT only included a few of the smaller attractions / a couple of dark rides I think.  Might change throughout the year though of course.  Could of course use it to queue for the big rides beforehand, but with 2 days, that should be enough to do everything of note.

The advertised ride close is for the queue line, not when the ride stops operating.

Today is a sad day for Efteling as former attraction designer Tony Van De Ven has died aged just 71, following complications of a stroke.

Source Loopings & Efteling Facebook

http://www.looopings.nl/weblog/4396/Efteling-grootheid-Ton-van-de-Ven-plotseling-overleden.html

Van De Ven was the primary designer for attractions at Efteling for many years starting when he designed Spooksplot in the mid/late 1970's until retiring in 2003, however it is still believed he may have still put a hand in many additions after including Baron.

Some of his most greatest/notable work at Efteling include Fate Morgana, Droomvlucht, Villa Volta & Vogel Rock.

• 1 month later...

Well Efteling today was absolutely fantastic. In summary (follow report coming soon).

Baron- is good but would it not be for the pre-shows and theming it would be rather dull (need another ride or two I think).

Joris- is now my favourite woodie (by a fingernail). It's so smooth yet forceful and the racing elrment only helps.

Raveljan- is the best action show I've ever seen. It's faultless!

Fate Morgana- is my favourite rude there currently. The theming , smells, sound and music are so immense it's near if not at Disney standard.

Polle's Kitchen- absolute bliss one of the best places I've eaten at a theme park really. Anyone know how to get mix back to uk?

Aquanora- is pretty much Efteling's answer to Dreams. It's amazing but dreams is still my favourite night show.

Efteling is currently my 2nd favourite park. It feels so magical and full of atmosphere and the staff are very helpful, even in tricky situations.

DLP is still first he to it not just bring Disney but due to the merchandise being rather dull, rides closing at closing time (instead of the queue) plus the illusion being ruined a bit at times DLP still wins.

Btw thinking of doing polles again tommorow unless anyone knows of another good place to eat.

Hey Matt ever considered comparing something against a park not disney?

Yes, it's better than Alton Towers in most ways (except Hex beats Villa Volta) & they close the queues at closing).

There's more atmosphere than Thorpe I must confess and parts of it remind me a little of Chessington (in its prime).

DLP will likely be knocked off the top slot st some point, but not yet. After all, day 2 could well swing it.

Pancake mix is available to buy in the restaurant and the main shop at the entrance...

Efteling isn't about the rides, though the lack of comments over Dreamflight is concerning, or the Fairytale Forest of Forever... Or Flying Dutchman...

I still need to do my Baron review...

Pancake mix is available to buy in the restaurant and the main shop at the entrance...

Efteling isn't about the rides, though the lack of comments over Dreamflight is concerning, or the Fairytale Forest of Forever... Or Flying Dutchman...

I still need to do my Baron review...

Droomvklucht I actually liked, I've never seen so much charm in a ride before like this.

I'm planning to do a good look through the forest tommorow, today was mostly getting the big rides done.

Flying Dutchman was also very good, amazing even and is fighting between Joris for my favourite coaster at the park.

Yeah seen the mix and hoping to get some, however my main concern is, would it be legible to put in hand luggage with the 100 ML rule (gutted they've eliminated their online shop).

It's a powder and should come under foodstuffs, but we're not the best people to ask on that matter...

One thing that makes Efteling tonnes better than any Disney park is the complete lack of screaming children, it's so blissful <3

That's always the problem in parks like these though and doing the whole "ride all the big rides in a day" thing, it does make things extremely difficult to have an enjoyable day... You don't get a chance to really get into the park properly, especially if it's busy (DLP in a day is something I would never suggest, even if the only major ride I missed was BTM, Efteling in a day is just as bad, especially for a newbie)...

Hey Matt ever considered comparing something against a park not disney?

[/basic]

Am I the only one who thinks DLP is severly overated?

Probably not, but until people start going to places like Efteling/Phannyland/etc then it'll remain highly rated... That said, it's still better than anything the UK parks have to offer in terms of theming quality and general atmosphere...

The only REAL bad thing about DLP is the people within... But that could also be said of WDW and DL...

I'd actually say it's severely under-rated. Which says more about the human condition then we could ever dream of.

Underated? Everybody always raves about DLP being the best in Europe.

Where IMO I found it be awful. I would say the customer service was of Thorpe-Standard.

The rides were ok. Space Mountain was medicore, Indiana Jones is probably one of my least favorite of all time due to it being rough. The rest are all good but with parks like Efelting,Phantasia,or Europa it falls flat.

My review of efteling.

Baron - really enjoyed it good addition to efteling and I feel it beats oblivion even thought may need another go on it on day 2.

Djoris - best woodie I have been on fast and lots of airtime if you sit at the back of the train.

Python - even though one of the smaller coasters in the park it surely packs a punch.

Bobslee - such a good classic bobsleigh much better than avalanche at BPB glad I have gone on it.

Vogel Roc - good dark ride coaster wouldn't be in my top 2 but still a great ride.

Carnival festival - this ride really made me happy the theming is great also the atmosphere is fantastic on the ride with most people singing the soundtrack.

Dreemflight - good ride with good theming I can see why it gets long queues.

Pirana - best rapids ride I have been on theming and the fact they just despatched more and we even got stuck a tiny bit also found safety announcements very funny and amusingly.

Aquanura - what a way to end the day such a great show best I have ever seen beats any merlin show out the water.

Overall been a great 1st day and operations went really fast good throughputs and no fastracks in operation which is how a park should run.

Underated? Everybody always raves about DLP being the best in Europe.

Where IMO I found it be awful. I would say the customer service was of Thorpe-Standard.

The rides were ok. Space Mountain was medicore, Indiana Jones is probably one of my least favorite of all time due to it being rough. The rest are all good but with parks like Efelting,Phantasia,or Europa it falls flat.

I'm probably in that over hype camp you've decided DLP fans are in. The only reason I like DLP is because before I had my first visit it had such a poor reputation and I was pleasantly surprised how chilled out, relaxed and enjoyable the parks there are. It's all perspective.

I'm probably in that over hype camp you've decided DLP fans are in. The only reason I like DLP is because before I had my first visit it had such a poor reputation and I was pleasantly surprised how chilled out, relaxed and enjoyable the parks there are. It's all perspective.

I guess I had high expectations of it. It seems the GP rave about it, so I was kinda critical of it.

Anyway back on topic!