Efteling

Cringle

Looks an improvement over what was there before, but it does sadden me a little that they still seem to want to go ahead with this reservation queue thing. Despite it’s hiccups, they have considered it so far successful, which is hard to believe. 

I think they may be tricking it on more attractions.

• 3 weeks later...

Went a couple of days ago and it just slowed the queue down. Doesn’t really work on quiet days.

Python was stupidly smooth. I sat back row with my friend expecting head trauma and was pleasantly surprised.

Baron’s preshow was everything and the ride is really fun. I wouldn’t say it was my fave. Joris and Draak were better IMO.

On 4/18/2018 at 5:08 PM, alexander said:

Went a couple of days ago and it just slowed the queue down. Doesn’t really work on quiet days.

Python was stupidly smooth. I sat back row with my friend expecting head trauma and was pleasantly surprised.

Baron’s preshow was everything and the ride is really fun. I wouldn’t say it was my fave. Joris and Draak were better IMO.

What did you think of Symbolica?

That ride is a genuine masterpiece in how it looks and flows, but feels criminally overlooked at the moment with so much other exciting stuff going on in the industry..

I do think Symbolica is perhaps one of the most underrated dark rides out there. 

Never before have I seen an attraction packed out with so much intricate details. The set pieces, animatronics and effects are top notch. It’s packed with both magic and mystery yet remains re-rideable. 

It is definitely up there as one of (if not) the best european dark ride to date.

4 hours ago, BaronC. said:

What did you think of Symbolica?

That ride is a genuine masterpiece in how it looks and flows, but feels criminally overlooked at the moment with so much other exciting stuff going on in the industry..

Symbolica was super clever! The scenes were really nice and I loved the interactive aspect to it. One point, we were at a musical section and we could control the instruments playing. The pre-show and entrance was spectacular and the queue line is stupidly well themed. I was completely immersed.

I would have liked the dancing scene at the end to have gone on a bit longer though. Maybe a bit more spinning, but I understand it’s a ride for everyone, incl. young children.

Is it under-rated though? I'd probably say not, just not so many people visited Efteling goon wise so perhaps not had a wider hit of people waxing lyrical over it...

Plus it's not perfect, given that the touch screens are kinda pointless and the distinct lack of progressing storyline kinda makes a little bit fall flat (same could be said of Dreamflight though really, but as that doesn't present itself to have a storyline, it does get away with it)...

23 hours ago, alexander said:

One point, we were at a musical section and we could control the instruments playing.

I love that touch of interactivity - each tour has its own thing: Music tour has the instruments, Hero tour has fighting knight armour and Treasure tour has some magic diamond.

23 hours ago, Benin said:

Is it under-rated though? I'd probably say not, just not so many people visited Efteling goon wise so perhaps not had a wider hit of people waxing lyrical over it...

Plus it's not perfect, given that the touch screens are kinda pointless and the distinct lack of progressing storyline kinda makes a little bit fall flat (same could be said of Dreamflight though really, but as that doesn't present itself to have a storyline, it does get away with it)...

Certainly not underrated by those who have ridden it, but I'd say it's being overlooked. I think it's a fantastic dark ride that really showcases modern technology and super well-themed. Yet it just seems to have slipped under the radar for so many across a large part of the enthusiast community, for...who knows why..

I agree that the touch screens are a bit pointless and confusing though. Story is fine though - you're going to meet the King, Pardoes comes along and takes you on a secret tour, things go a bit wrong, but it ends up okay and you meet the King (and he's probably too drunk to even notice if anything went wrong...)

• 3 weeks later...

I've ridden Symbolica a few times now and seeing it gain a 40 minute queue on a Monday in February, So it seems clear it's very popular with guests.

I absolutely loved the ride and I hope it gains a following and recognition internationally in time.

Edited by Hethetheth
Hit post too early

• 4 months later...
42 minutes ago, Deejay said:

Hi anyone know how busy Efteling would be and the end of October ( uk half term) and what the weather may be like?? Thanks

The Park are predicting that the majority of October will be ‘lively’.

Also worth noting that both Bob and Vogel Rok are scheduled for maintenance during this time. 

A1198E46-D0BD-4E09-9CB1-86F005765E8F.jpeg

The first half is definitely the scariest half. I would compare it’s level similar to Wickerman’s pre-show and parts of Valhalla if that helps. It might be quite scary for anyone under 7.

Also Efteling is a pretty big places so there’s more than just the ride. Ravelijin (live show) and the Fairy Tale Forest are just some places, you can spend hours in the latter. 

• 3 weeks later...

After almost 34 years, the Bob ride will be getting removed and replaced by Max and Moritz, a double family roller coaster. Source- Loopings

The ride will be based on a German story where two people make their village unsafe. Amongst a higher capacity, the original station building of Bob is expected to be reused.

The Bob Ride has experienced countless problems recently which resulted in the ride being closed for months. However the attraction is expected to reopen one last time before it is shuttered for good next September. This is likely subject to how comprehensible the ride is in it’s current state.

Given Efteling’s motives for keeping older attractions, this was probably a last resort from them. Especially given the likely technical defects and the ride was apparently becoming higher maintenance for them. Intamin apparently don’t supply for this ride type anymore.Bob marks the second major attraction to be removed from the park after Pegasus.

Bob closing may be sad in some respects, but I personally found it the weakest coaster at the park. Hopefully it’s replacement will be a worthwhile addition, especially to it’s target audience. Add up next year’s Fairy Tale expansions and (the slightly delayed) 2021 launch coaster and the park has an exciting few years ahead (fingers crossed).

I was in The Netherlands Wednesday, and this was headlining news on radio stations. Efteling is a national treasure out there, and the park does its utmost to stick by its traditional values, keep old attractions, etc (hence why they've done so much to restore Python - work which really has give nit a new lease of life might I add!). For them to remove a ride, especially such a large, older, ride, it is a big deal.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's rumoured that the rides aren't actually duelling in the sense of, say, Joris, where the trains will be dispatched at the same time, and instead they're simply two coasters which happen to share a queue until the last minute (more like Winjas at Phantasialand, for example). There's also rumours that one of the coasters might be backwards. 

More importantly, the coasters aren't very inspiring. Efetling concept art is very close to the real thing, and the layouts look boring, they don't have much interaction with anything, and it just seems like a missed opportunity for a set of coasters which should be appealing to the younger market. It's a shame, as they could something a lot more with it, even if it is quite Efteling.

As Creek said, the expansion featuring the rumoured launch coaster has just been delayed to 2021, so fingers crossed that investment is as substantial as planned.

• 1 month later...

Couple more details... https://www.looopings.nl/weblog/11199/Dit-wordt-de-nieuwe-achtbaan-van-de-Efteling.html

Basically, "duelling" Mack powered coasters that run in opposite directions.

Still think these coasters are bit lackluster and won't reach the same high standards Efteling attractions usually have. But for a quick fix attraction targeted towards the younger side of the market, it's not awful I guess 

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from the Efteling/Netherlands and definitely struggled to leave (quite literally because our flights back got cancelled and had to be rescheduled). 

Key points from the park:

• Park was decorated with lots of little Christmas decorations, from a Vogel Rock Santa hat to several trees and ornaments in the main path
  • Warm fires and numerous entertainers were scattered throughout the park, including a choir and Live musicians 
  • A large tent (with bar and ice rink) and a small Ferris wheel comprised of additional attractions, 
  • Park was lively on the weekends but literally dead in the week, with queues rarely excieeding 20 minutes (even on Symbolica)
  • Bob Saw some of the longer queues in the park (probably because it’s getting demolished and has a low throughput)
  • Villa Volta featured an ‘impressive’ projection mapping show on it’s facade at night (although riders had to use an alternative exit)
  • Vogel Rock’s audio was ‘experiencing’ some major difficulties, on one train the music didn’t ‘synchronise’ properly whilst on another the music wasn’t working at all
  • Dutchman and Pirana remained closed during the trip due to maintenance 
  • Apart from Baron, you have to take your bags on all the rides now
  • Python is now incredibly smooth since it’s retracking 
  • It also snowed on our third (and what should’ve been our final) day, making it the ‘true’ Winter Efteling 

Park looked beautiful as always at night. The park’s dark rides as always were simply beautiful (Carnaval maybe less-so). From the magnificent set pieces of Droomvlucht, atmosphere of Fata, Villa’s effects and the ‘sheer perfection’ of Symbolica. A similar ride system  at Phantasialand would make a perfect replacement for Geister Riksha (assuming it’s getting ripped out next year).

The Coasters in general are fun and highly enjoyable all around. Baron compensates it’s small drop and layout which immense details and story telling (which makes it one of the better coaster out there), Joris is great and throws a trick or two. Bob for me is probably the weakest coaster, but is still fun and will be missed.

8A75C08C-D67E-4761-A057-5DF25686F141.thumb.jpeg.977d762e8f8892819f839835db0ef170.jpeg1F70C41E-B1F4-4229-8566-D38475EEF60C.thumb.jpeg.01e4aaa8fc26ee5c0212ebd53ae5b6ea.jpeg28905ACD-8FBB-48E7-8A55-6A490B4915AB.thumb.jpeg.f5f1b324380f82db9e55b5c9db12c63f.jpegB7FC484C-1A7F-4BC4-AE15-88A8FFD84C4F.thumb.jpeg.94beff181df3ff23fd5caada664a856f.jpegA2DF70BF-A307-4BDB-8885-8A6488B16544.thumb.jpeg.b9170ecc471efd834ab32c0e17de6cb4.jpegB3CF6329-ECCF-49F2-85AB-D574FEF7EFD9.thumb.jpeg.f5ad6b7d68f42ac69790ff84dc0405ff.jpeg

92976114-B5F5-4698-A23D-2A79FB497AB7.jpeg