Efteling

Cringle

• 4 weeks later...

Part eight of The Making Of Max & Moritz has been released by the park. This one is rather gassy.

Really liking the look of some of these show elements. Efteling know how to master unique charm. 

The park will also be reopening on the 20th May with social distancing measures and capacity limited to 1/3 of it’s usual amount. Tickets will also need to be booked online.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this could/should go in the corona thread, but sticking it here so I don't forever clog it up.

Efteling is back open, and Looopings has a handy look at many of the changes in place. Here's some highlights:

image.png

The park is covered in these red and white tape markings. Red is 'do not stand here', white is 'stand here in your groups'. These are literally everywhere where people will queue.

The park originally went with yellow/black hazard tape everywhere. During their many rehearsal days, this was decided to not be a good idea, hence the change. 

image.png

Attractions with indoor areas / preshow, such as Symbolica and Villa Volta, have numbers on the floor. Groups are told which number to stand on.

image.png

The numbering system also applies to the park's carousels.

image.png

Where railings are used in queues, the red/white tape is one the railings. Where possible, cattlepen queues have been demolished and redesigned or shut off.

image.png

Where cattlepen queues had to remain, screens have been introduced.

image.png

image.png

Their water coaster, Flying Dutchman, has screens in the station to protect staff. Social distancing is in place.

image.png

There's lots of these 'disinfection stations' around, as well as themed hand sanitiser dispensers across the park.

image.png

A look at the seating arrangement for Python. Cleaning takes place between rides.

Interestingly, Efteling have taken a Disney approach and are no longer checking restraints. They ask you pull them down yourselves, make sure you feel safe and comfortable, and dispatch. Of course, you don't staff to physically check any restraints (the ride's system will confirm if all restraints are locked); staff checking is for peace of mind and to ensure rider comfort in most cases.

image.png

In the pre-show to their 4D film (yes, that's a thing), boxes have been marked out to show where groups should watch.

As for food, there's a greater emphasis on 'grab and go' food, with tables marked off, etc. The park have installed some fun food shoots too:

People are encouraged to pay contactlessly / via an app as much as possible too.

Other bits:

-The music in Joris en de Draak's station is turned off so people can hear staff instructions clearly.

-The bag area for Baron 1898 (outside the preshow) is no longer in use. Lockers are still available for €1. I'm not sure if that means you can't have bags in the queue now, but I imagine you can leave them in the station (which was how the ride originally opened).

-Most shows are not taking place, except for a couple of acts that take place in the Fairytale Forest. This includes the park's roaming mascots.

An interesting scenario which I hadn't thought about yet was what happens during a shutdown. Many people like to leave a queue if a ride suffers a shutdown, but it's physically impossible to maintain social distancing in that case. Be interesting to see what the messaging will be in these scenarios.

The Looopings article ends with a quote from Efteling Director Fons Jurgens, who says that whilst he believes all measures in place are necessary,  the temporary barriers and red/white tape "hurts" and also said "If you just look at this very honestly, you cannot say that we now offer a top product here." 

4 minutes ago, Glitch said:

Very interesting, the checking of restraints is interesting. I wonder what would happen if something went wrong.

Honestly? Probably not a lot, if anything. I'd imagine they'd have cleared it with the TUV / Dutch Theme Park Association before. There's also the alternative of their 2m pole they can use to check bars, which is hardly much better.

As said, the actual physical checking of restraints is almost placebo-like for guests. Once a bar is locked in, it won't unlock unless something is mechanically wrong with the ride. A staff member giving a gentle tug usually won't change that. 

I'm not sure if Efteling are getting people to pull on their restraints after they've locked to show they're locked, but that's just as good as getting a staff member to do it.

56 minutes ago, Mark9 said:

I have massive respect for his honesty here. Theme parks are to escape reality but as all those pictures show, everything around you just reminds you of what is happening. 

Yep, that honesty can't be understated. Every park that opens will do so knowing the experience they're offering is one of damaged limitations. People will want to go for the rides and the escapism, and I'm sure you can get those moments are the rides themselves. But in the greater context, no, it is those constant reminders.

One thing I forgot to mention: masks are in no way required at any point in the park. By maintaining social distancing, masks don't add any extra layer of protection. And when you're on rides, masks are unlikely to help protect if someone does have coronavirus. That goes against many parks which have happened / have announced their opening plans.

I guess one of the benefiting factors with Efteling is that it’s large footprint and scale likely make it noticeably easier for social distancing and operations, especially given it is just as much a nature park as it is a theme park.

The new restrictions may slightly deter the escapism but are completely understandable given the position of things currently. The restraint system is an interesting one, but given how the park have handled things I have full reassurance this is perfectly viable.

Whilst some parks won’t get around these like this, it must be remembered each country has different different safety regulations so what might be ok in a Dutch theme park probably won’t be in a U.K. one for example. Also a few exceptions most of Efteling’s attractions are generally “family Based”.

• 2 weeks later...

With the recent Black Lives Matter protests, Efteling's somewhat questionable representations of race have come into question.

Monsieur Cannibale is the park's teacups-like ride, and the centrepiece is of a black character, with the ride being that you're riding in various cooking pots whilst he cooks you. A look for those unacquainted: 

4ae6f8fe-250d-11e9-9177-bd3ae24bba4f_ima

Looopings reported that a couple took signs and posted on social media that "Monsier Cannibale is Racism":

070620eftelingracisme.jpg

The park's original response was that only when major maintenance is needed would a change to the ride's look be considered, with it being emphasised that the character is a caricature. However, the ride is now "closed for maintenance" until June 20th.

This isn't the first time Efteling has come under fire for racist attractions in recent years. Carnival Festival, which takes you round the world with different figures in an omnimover system, came under fire for its depictions of  Chinese and African characters. These have slowly been changed though.

The Netherlands itself has quite a few issues with racism, such as a blackface sidekick to Santa Claus for many years (I don't know how prevalent that is in today's society, but I know it's still been a recent issue).

It'll be interesting to see what the response is from Efteling now. Having these sorts of character and depictions be allowed is something that comes from a different time, and now more than ever is the time to move forward arguably. Other parks have slowly moved away from these 'possibly-racist' ideas too (for example, Phantasialand haven't exclusively had black workers in their Africa land since 2017). It's a sensitive issue that needs to be responded to correctly.

It is no secret that Monseur Cannibal is essentially a racist themed attraction and the issue is only becoming more and more prevalent with recent events over the years.

I adore many of Efteling’s charming and whimsical attractions but not so much this one. A cannibal theme set in Africa is quite shocking to say the least and I always avoid this ride when I visit.

The sooner they partly or fully re-theme the attraction, the better it will be for anyone really.

• 2 weeks later...

Max and Moritz is now officially open:

And POVs for those who are that way inclined:

The rides looks cute and fun enough for what they are. I'm sure once the greenery grows a bit more it'll be even better too. Station looks fantastic too, in true Efteling fashion.

Still sad that Bob is no more, and that a family-thrill ride has been replaced by effectively a kids ride, but it is what it is. I guess in theory the expansion area with the new coaster there is meant to act as the true replacement for Bob, if it ever happens...

It's weird though because Efteling never had a real entry coaster for a family park (the closest being Vogel Rok), so the logic behind this addition is sound.

Think too many people are hung up over Bob being demolished for it. At least Efteling were open about it closing.

Honestly, I think this ride looks good for its target audience. Its just a shame that Bob had to go. The music is quite nice and quirky sounding too. 

I do maintain I feel Efteling is crying out for a thrill machine coaster in the vein of Taron that accomodates to the thrill market whilst also being accessible to the family market. 

Can't wait to HOPEFULLY get out there in October!!

48 minutes ago, Benin said:

It's weird though because Efteling never had a real entry coaster for a family park (the closest being Vogel Rok), so the logic behind this addition is sound.

Think too many people are hung up over Bob being demolished for it. At least Efteling were open about it closing.

Yeah, this is the perfect investment for the park in fairness. It's crazy they never had an entry coaster before, and it's great they've gone for something that's actually got some enjoyment behind it too.

Bob's time was up, no denying it. From what I've understood, M&M wasn't planned to replace it, but it's just that the Bob had to go, and they needed a replacement, so what better excuse to add that entry coaster. Most of my 'sadness' about the situation is that time finally caught up to Bob.

26 minutes ago, Martin Doyle said:

I do maintain I feel Efteling is crying out for a thrill machine coaster in the vein of Taron that accomodates to the thrill market whilst also being accessible to the family market.

I mean, the coaster rumoured to go into the expansion area is an Intamin launch. But I can't think of anything worse for Efteling than a big thrill machine coaster. Something like that just wouldn't work in the park really; anything too thrilling would just overshadow the rest of the park imo

I liked Bob. Sure it lacked the theming and throughput of a lot of the newer rides but it was a fun and unique attraction. Riding at night on my last time seems fitting.

Max and Moritz looks an appropriate entry level coaster, so is naturally much different than Bob which was more of a thrill coaster in it’s time. Some of the elements of the new attraction look great, although I think more could’ve been done.

The thrill coaster they’ve been trying to build will supposedly be more of a replacement. However that depends if they can eventually get planning permission, which so far has been unsuccessful.

4 minutes ago, Matt Creek said:

Max and Moritz looks an appropriate entry level coaster, so is naturally much different than Bob which was more of a thrill coaster in it’s time. Some of the elements of the new attraction look great, although I think there’s definitely room for more to be added.

Matt! Yes decent enough for any children out there. Not for you! 

What looks great? 

1 minute ago, Mattgwise said:

Matt! Maybe for any children out there. Not for you! 

What looks great? 

Indeed, hence why it is an entry level coaster. 

It’s clearly designed for groups with young families (likely around ages 3-7) and am sure will be enjoyable for those groups before they venture onto bigger rides such as Vogel, Dutchman etc.

Whilst there are certainly elements that maybe could do with more, such as landscaping and theming elements. I do think the trains and station look particularly enticing, which is probably again fitting for that target they are aiming for. 

6 minutes ago, Matt Creek said:

Indeed, hence why it is an entry level coaster. 

It’s clearly designed for groups with young families (likely around ages 3-7) and am sure will be enjoyable for those groups before they venture onto bigger rides such as Vogel, Dutchman etc.

Whilst there are certainly elements that maybe could do with more, such as landscaping and theming elements. I do think the trains and station look particularly enticing, which is probably again fitting for that target they are aiming for. 

But you are looking forward to riding it haha!

The station whilst good doesn't look as great in comparison to some of their other attractions (although still knocks the socks off of a lot of stations of course). I think for Efteling personally all aspects are just a bit disappointing. 

39 minutes ago, Mattgwise said:

But you are looking forward to riding it haha!

Well, I wouldn’t say no to checking it out but that will depend on all factors worth considering such as queue line and priority. Plus as much as I would like to, I'm certainly not overweighting it against such rides as Baron, Symbolica or De Vlieglande Hollander.

I understand what you mean by the disappointment, as aside from the station I think perhaps more theming/interactive elements could have been done.  

29 minutes ago, Matt Creek said:

Well, I wouldn’t say no to checking it out but that will depend on all factors worth considering such as queue line and priority. Plus as much as I would like to, I'm certainly not overweighting it against such rides as Baron, Symbolica or De Vlieglande Hollander.

I understand what you mean by the disappointment, as aside from the station I think perhaps more theming/interactive elements could have been done.  

You can go with Matt then. You'll have a grand day out haha. I'd queue no more than ten minutes personally, although once I have children of course, I'd happily queue for it :)

2 hours ago, Mattgwise said:

Matt! Yes decent enough for any children out there. Not for you! 

What looks great? 

I personally love powered coasters.. This ride looks lovely. Until they put a restriction in that says you must accompany children to ride then I will assume its for everybody to enjoy and will ride it.