Food Outlets

Cringle

As much as I hate to say it, I do believe that KFC's days are numbered. Same with Burger King. They are (I believe) the only major branded food outlets in the whole Merlin chain the UK. All other existing ones have been replaced by another own-made outlet (The Burger Kitchen is a prime example). 

Better enjoy the colonels chicken while I can :D 

17 minutes ago, MilesK said:

As much as I hate to say it, I do believe that KFC's days are numbered. Same with Burger King. They are (I believe) the only major branded food outlets in the whole Merlin chain the UK. All other existing ones have been replaced by another own-made outlet (The Burger Kitchen is a prime example). 

Better enjoy the colonels chicken while I can :D 

I think they still have a fair few years on the agreed let which is why they still remain to this day. They would have long gone if it wasn't For that as merlin want their own outlets. 

I think they both signed a 10 year deal in 2008 or something. Before Merlin got big about going with in house brands. Still not sure about BK and KFC leaving though, they're seriously popular and Thorpe's demographic just suit them. If or more likely when they go, I hope we get something better than Burger Kitchen to be the replacement. 

The new interior of Amity BK is lovely though! Really feels like an American diner! 

I wonder if they'd consider turning the KFC or Amity Burger King into a Roller Coaster Restaurant?  They're both good sizes (and the KFC one could be expanded into the arcade for more room), and a major, indoor, restaurant is needed in the middle of the park in my opinion.

Not the KFC one, that's just fine. The setting in there probably makes it the best themed eatery at Thorpe. Fins & Inferno pizza have good theming but not on that scale. 

I reckon if Thorpe get a roller coaster restaurant it will be in a location where current  food outlets are not  positioned on. 

Chances are are hopefully if the Towers one is successful they will open one at another park and it would suit Thorpe well IMO.

I'm not 100% sure about this but I think the way in which these fast food chains work is a person or company builds, runs, and owns the store themselves. But they pay a (very big) fee to be able to use the chain's branding and have to buy a very specific set of ingredients/equipment etc... Basically what I'm saying here is it'll be completely up to Thorpe/Merlin if they stay or go when the contract ends. Imo they'd be a bit crazy to get rid of them, there's always hundreds of people in them each weekend!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 08/01/2018 at 4:28 PM, StevenVig said:

Never ever seen a queue for it......

I don’t care if I’m two months late (soz). It never has a queue cos they keep extending it. And yet it’s one of the worst pizza buffets Merlin have... maybe I just miss Pizza Hut too much.

Much agreed about post comments about a rollercoaster restaurant and such, would be a great move for somewhere like Thorpe I think. I’m surprised Smokehouse hasn’t moved into BBQ yet though. Would also question what would occur with BK at Old Town if / when the contract goes as surely they won’t have two Burger Kitchen’s in Thorpe?

20 hours ago, Flipper said:

Would also question what would occur with BK at Old Town if / when the contract goes as surely they won’t have two Burger Kitchen’s in Thorpe?

I seriously hope they renew it.  Burger King and KFC still being at Thorpe easily makes it the best Merlin park food-wise IMO.

Burger Kitchen at Chessie and Alton both times made me wish I ate from a bin bag instead..

9 minutes ago, RobF said:

Could you imagine a rollercoaster restaurant I'm the middle of the dome ???

Honestly the rollercoaster restaurant I think is a nice gimmick- but I really hope they don't make one at every park.

The prices at the Alton one was even worse than FoodLoop at Europa- the food isn't that good either.

On another note, I have to say I think Thorpe may easily be one of my favorite parks to eat at.

I really can't name a bad food-place at the park. Bush BBQ, Bar 360, Pizza and Pasta, the Mexican Place, fast food options that aren't utter crap like Burger Kitchen.

Yes, anything other than Burger Kitchen. Easily the worst place I've eaten at Towers and avoided as a result at Chessington. Pizza pasta is alright, Just wish they gave you plates bigger than a saucer. Not as keen for The Mexican. Food wise, Thorpe is easily the best. I've heard good things about Bush BBQ, will have to try it at some point this year.

2 hours ago, JoshuaA said:

I seriously hope they renew it.  Burger King and KFC still being at Thorpe easily makes it the best Merlin park food-wise IMO.

Personally I don’t eat KFC at Thorpe, and I actually haven’t since around 2008 I don’t think (is it still themed inside?) Burger King I do occasionally but for me I just find the pricing of them too inflated just because they’re in Thorpe especially considering it’s so much cheaper to eat BK in say Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

I’m not a massive fan of any Merlin food. I kind of have my go-to’s and for me I don’t care for Burger Kitchen either. Although I find Fried Chicken Co nice at Towers (less so at CWOA I don’t know why) likewise Pizza Pasta at LEGO or Towers over Thorpe. I even steer clear of Fins now, as I much preferred it as Bar 360.

So for me, if KFC and Burger King disappeared I wouldn’t be too bothered; not like I was at the loss of Pizza Hut (which was always worth the queue, and the agree-bargee for food) but I would want to see something different brought to Thorpe’s lineup, be it in the form of Smokehouse (albeit that would probably replace Bush BBQ) or Chicken Shack. Just please no more Costa’s, I have Costa :’(

On 16/03/2018 at 1:04 AM, OliIzzy said:

After sending a an email to Thorpe asking a few questions one of the answers was that bush bbq is to be used as an event space for the year; assuming this is for TWD stuff. O

Always thought calling it a BBQ was a bit cheeky as most stuff was just baked in an oven - saw some pretty gross, grey looking curled up burgers on trays last year.

It appears the Pulled Meat Co. and Peckish have both disappeared too. Shame to have a reduced selection of food available - I miss Roast & Relish! Would also like to see a Smokehouse (as at Chessington) or a rotisserie type place.