Detonator

Lewie900

Detonator is one of my favourite rides! I think that the whole retheme for angry birds land could remove some of the 'fear factor' though, and I always assumed NI and Detenator went together, mainly due to the similarities regarding colour scheme. IMO I think that the angry birds land retheme a la merlin (changing the sign and putting a bird on top) could remove the element of fear it brings into most people as it's not just the fact it's a drop tower which makes it so omnious, the simple theming and the music tie in nicely and contribute a fair amount also. So this should be interesting come may.

I don't really find it intense, but I think it is the most intense ride on the park. It's the only ride on the park that gives me a really weird feeling in my tummy. When I am sitting up there it also feels a lot higher than it actually is, and you don't necessarily know when you are going to drop, because most staff drop it at different times and sometimes when they are not playing the theme music. Detonator is my (Joint) Favorite flat ride on the park and I love the theme music. I think I'll miss the theme music when they re theme it.

they hardly had a choice but to retheme it, as it's next to where angry birds 4d will go... plus it has a lower height restriction of 1.3m which allows kids to go on (having been with a 9 year old who said it was her favourite ride as she wasn't tall enough for the coasters) - so it can only be a good thing, plus looking forward to the announcements and theme music! :)

Can you hear the countdown at the top? I noticed sometimes they don't play the countdown at all !

You can just about hear it at the top, and was that today that they weren't playing it?

Think there must be something wrong with the audio as it is always normally on, and they weren't playing it Sunday afternoon.

You can just about hear it at the top, and was that today that they weren't playing it?

Think there must be something wrong with the audio as it is always normally on, and they weren't playing it Sunday afternoon.

It was playing on Saturday though it was significantly quieter than last year, and was continually being interrupted by the standard Merlin procedure of 'make inaudible live announcements with the microphone in your mouth instead of the perfectly good pre-recorded ones'

• 5 weeks later...

Am I correct in saying that detonator was only meant to be at thorpe park for only a couple of years but it proved to be very popular so they got permanant planning permission for it? :)

You are indeed!

Funnily enough, I'm planning on writing a blog post about Detonator and it's history sometime next week (it's surprisingly richer than you may think!); keep an eye out for it... ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mattgwise changed the title to Detonator