Detonator

Lewie900

Are all the speakers at the top of Detonator working properly now? Becuase when I went on AP day, they were still fairly quiet, but that might've been where I was sitting on the ride as it can be louder in some places than others. Can they be heard on every seat or just certain sides of the ride? (I was sitting facing towards Detonator's entrance last time earlier this month.)

Back in Summer 2011, I remember the staff members having some fun with the riders that went up by playing a little game. One person was given a cup filled with water and they were to hold it still until they got to the top. Once they got up there, the staff would tell them to pass it around either clockwise or anti-clockwise to the person sitting next to them, 100ft in the air. The time up there before being dropped was diffrent every time, as sometimes it was passed 3 times and others about 20 times before the release. But, if a rider held the cup for more than 5 seconds or hesitated giving the cup to the next person, they would drop the riders and the person holding the cup of water would have the water splash all over them once they landed at the bottom. It was essentially "Hot Potato" but Detonator style!

Once we went on it and the staff left us up there and started talking to us, saying things like "Hows the weather up there?" and "Are you having a good time?". They then played a recording that said "We are aware that your gondola has stopped moving" shortly followed by "your gondola will now be released". Then they dropped us. Best ride I have ever had on detonator. :)

I love when they do stuff like that, sometimes when I've been on stealth they play the breakdown announcement that tells you the train is about to start moving and then they launch it :wub:

• 2 months later...

I'd just like to point out about the operations on detonator today...

The lady who was doing the restraints way pretty poor and took about 5 mins to load up and check restraints and she spent ages letting people on(people who were not tall enough) to tell them they had to get off. Ride operations were really slow and the man in the booth only dropped the carriage about 30 secs after the countdown had ended... He didn't seem to be paying attention... Really poor!

I'd just like to point out about the operations on detonator today...

The lady who was doing the restraints way pretty poor and took about 5 mins to load up and check restraints and she spent ages letting people on(people who were not tall enough) to tell them they had to get off. Ride operations were really slow and the man in the booth only dropped the carriage about 30 secs after the countdown had ended... He didn't seem to be paying attention... Really poor!

Perhaps instead of belittling the members of staff on here, you should send your feedback to Thorpe Park directly?

Ride operations were really slow and the man in the booth only dropped the carriage about 30 secs after the countdown had ended... He didn't seem to be paying attention... Really poor!

That's part of the fun! They hold it at the top occasionally to add in an extra element of fear.

(Not that I am disputing the fact that ride operation at the park is poor this year, because it is).

That's part of the fun! They hold it at the top occasionally to add in an extra element of fear.

(Not that I am disputing the fact that ride operation at the park is poor this year, because it is).

Of course, I can only talk about my trips and you can only talk about yours. Suffice to say, on my trips the staff have been exemplary and a credit to the company.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Well in my opinion it's still pretty intense, and it took me years to actually get the courage to ride it!

The worst part is going up. Just listen closely for the countdown so you know when it's going to drop! I love Detonator a lot, but I hate/love the feeling you get on it when you're falling. It seems to last for ever and it feels like you're just falling faster and faster. Great ride though, but if you're like me and you get a bit nervous about drop towers, it's an unexpected rush! You should definitely give it a go :)

Well in my opinion it's still pretty intense, and it took me years to actually get the courage to ride it!

The worst part is going up. Just listen closely for the countdown so you know when it's going to drop! I love Detonator a lot, but I hate/love the feeling you get on it when you're falling. It seems to last for ever and it feels like you're just falling faster and faster. Great ride though, but if you're like me and you get a bit nervous about drop towers, it's an unexpected rush! You should definitely give it a go :)

thanks for that :D I'm good with height I've been on Power Tower 2 at Winter Wonderland so I'm kinda used to towers but not done a drop tower :)

I love detonator because it is the only ride that I get a sort of intense feeling. It feels a lot higher when you are up there haha. After it broke down in the after noon today, there was no theme tune for the rest of the day? Then it closed at half 4 for some reason, was on the last ride of the day just saying ;)

It was closed at about 3 minutes passed four when I tried to get on it yesterday! Which was a shame as it would likely been my last ride in its current guise and had been down when I tried to get a go earlier in the day. Oh well, bring on the birds.

• Mattgwise changed the title to Detonator