Detonator

Lewie900

3 minutes ago, JoshC. said:

In that sense, they're 'signed in and out'. But it's more in the sense that they're a paper trail that shows where any copies would have been at any given time, rather than a central document.

Just to add clarification to that, the signing is only to prove that the staff member has done the necessary training to work on the ride, rather than keep track of where the documents are. If there's not enough copies or they go missing, they just print more.

Just now, EpicSmatty said:

Just to add clarification to that, the signing is only to prove that the staff member has done the necessary training to work on the ride, rather than keep track of where the documents are. If there's not enough copies or they go missing, they just print more.

Indeed, that is true. But in can be used for as a paper trail too if needs be.

Ideally, there shouldn't be many copies printed and a missing copy shouldn't be shrugged off as nothing, but what happens in an ideal world isn't always reality!

50 minutes ago, JoshC. said:

When printed, they live in a sort of uncontrolled state

And just to build on that.. in a perfect world, they are meant to be counted out and back in too; no paper copies should ever be left unaccounted for. Granted, this doesn't always happen, but every effort to keep them accounted for should be practiced at every opportunity (as Josh clarifies in the later post than this quoted one).

Digitalisation of these documents is possible and causes an obvious issue; but a watermark such as "not for publication, internal use only" opens the "leaker" to prosecution instead.

While they do not contain anything secret or damaging, it is not something that you want to have in the hands of a media outlet looking to create a story where they can - so due diligence is always the practice when it comes to these documents - hence my original point of the "leaker" being held accountable, making them relatively hard to come by and "more than their job is worth" than to leak.

On 1/5/2020 at 12:04 AM, Ivsetti said:

Following on from the subject of appalling rule-enforcement we go on to one a bit more serious: 

image.png.64c730ac907d3d13d4a5744bac24b726.png

This (luckily empty) seat clearly has an unbuckled seat belt as the ride goes up. This again (like the Stealth video I posted earlier) is an extremely shocking breach of basic Health and Safety regulations from the park. Sourced from a video of the ride. Whilst one can argue the seat belt does nothing the implications of this are clear - the park's H&S standards are slipping even though The Smiler accident was a short few years ago.

One wonders what other H&S rules are being breached - Nemesis Inferno's supports for example show clear signs of rust as well as areas of peeled paint which haven't been repainted which is a major major major potential structural hazard. 

715c7d9625d2b99356b3435bb10d4a7aa1f18399

Stop being so extra 

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, jom222 said:

Saw on twitter today that the pneumatics have currently been removed from Detonator. Hope either this isn’t a permanent change or that there is no noticeable difference as the forcefulness of Detonator is what makes it really.

Could they not just be replacing them?

It was like this the whole of last season, maybe even 2020 too but I'm not certain on that. So seems like a permanent change to me.

I've heard people say they don't notice the difference but I personally don't think its anywhere near as forceful as it once was which is a shame, as you say the forcefulness is what made Detonator so great.

9 hours ago, A.T.I said:

Could they not just be replacing them?

An unlikely thing to happen outside of closed season to be frank. 

As others have said, it seems like they haven't been actively used in a while. I must admit the difference in ride expedition isn't as much as I expected, but is noticeable enough. Very curious why it's happened...

• Mattgwise changed the title to Detonator

It's a weird name change to happen, especially since the logo still features "Bomb", the black bird from Angry Birds. So it would suggest that it's still part of Angry Birds Land, and possibly part of any new contracts that Thorpe and Rovio have.

Part of me wonders if the park made a late call to remove the 'Bombs Away' suffix as a result of the current situation in Ukraine. Probably reading into things too much tbh, but it's something which crossed my mind. Aside from that, I can't really think of a reason why they'd do it randomly now.

I did wonder why Detonator felt less forceful than Venom at WMSP, in spite of it being the same ride type… didn’t stop me from riding it twice on my last visit, though, and it also doesn’t stop it being my favourite Thorpe flat and quite possibly one of my favourite overall Thorpe rides!

I love a good drop tower, and I’ll admit that I have a definite soft spot for those Fabbri towers…

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The queue for Detonator has changed so you no longer queue on the platform, which is a shame. Was always good watching peoples reactions while queuing, it was also a good way of seeing it had a short queue when walking past.

I imagine this could've been a H&S decision though maybe? 

147_2024-03-151710499171.1322392367509.j

Do like the sound of the new audio though, although do think the voiceover will get annoying quickly

Very...curious.

H&S is the only logical reason why they would do it, but...why? It's been fine for 20+ years. I know there had never been an incident of someone jumping into the ride area from the queue a few years ago, so unless there's been one recently, it seems like a change for the sake of change almost.

I do hope they manage to jetwash that floor before proper opening too!

On 3/17/2024 at 2:47 PM, JoshC. said:

Very...curious.

H&S is the only logical reason why they would do it, but...why? It's been fine for 20+ years. I know there had never been an incident of someone jumping into the ride area from the queue a few years ago, so unless there's been one recently, it seems like a change for the sake of change almost.

I do hope they manage to jetwash that floor before proper opening too!

Agreed. If it was H&S I'd rather they just made the queue slightly taller. I know its a different park but it amazes me the Nemesis airgates were aloud to stay but this isn't aloud.

I was thinking that re the floor. Hope that does get sorted as they've put a lot of work in to make the area look great, but that looks terrible...

21 hours ago, Cal said:

Agreed. If it was H&S I'd rather they just made the queue slightly taller. I know its a different park but it amazes me the Nemesis airgates were aloud to stay but this isn't aloud.

I was thinking that re the floor. Hope that does get sorted as they've put a lot of work in to make the area look great, but that looks terrible...

I'd imagine with Nemesis there would be some sort of grandfather ruling where because it's the same ride, they can keep the same station / airgates set-up.

Which begs the question further why Detonator had tweaks.