Dragon Falls

Even worse if he was 'quiet young', should have been someone there older to stop him climbing out the boat, I really hate this policy that it seems all the primary school's push to parents of giving their kids their 'independence', sure give them independence, but in moderation and there are times when a kid can't be left to their own devices to do as they wish.

Actually don't get me started on this, please, it's a subject a little too close to home... (story in spoilers for those interested).

A kid at may sons old school, who was a bit shy and unsure of himself, his parent were, against their better judgement, basically railroaded by the school into 'giving him his independence' by letting the kid walk home on his own, at 9 years old, even though he had to cross two main roads, well yup, one day he was run over by a lorry in a rookie mistake, something he could have been taught to avoid, had the school not insisted his parents let him walk home alone, naturally after the accident happened, it was all the parents fault, for not looking out for him in the schools eyes and they reported the parents to the police for negligence.

I've wondered for a while now how long it will be before they implement some sort of restraints on log flumes because of H&S.  When I first went on Dragon River (it was that long ago!) I panicked whilst approaching the main drop but despite being quite young and wanting to get out of the boat I thought better of it (which is pretty good for me as I have not a lot of common sense).

Someone should have been supervising the kid that got out - I've taken my niece on log flumes since she was quite young and always made sure she is sat at the front so we know where she is - not that I think she would jump out of a boat but ya never know with kids. I don't know what's worse - the fact he got out and no one stopped him, or the fact that staff were alerted by a guest and didn't see it on the cameras.

Ian-S - holy crap that story is horrific - so sad :(

Oh I'm glad you said that he survived- when I read it I felt really sad, although being hit by a vehicle isn't nice. That whole situation regarding the kid and his parents has probably been made even worse than it was before that incident.

Back to Dragon Falls - does anyone know if they are even going to get around to that retheme or sorting out the lack of Buddhas next to the main drop? It makes me sad seeing it look so naked!

Which is a strongly saddening fact when parks like Phantasialand, Efteling & Europa Park have plushed up their rides. Rides like River Quest, Pirana Rapids & more adding small but noticeable improvements making the rides even better.

It's a pity Chessington couldn't do anything on that scale due to management as it further proves how the UK is mostly falling behind other parks.

Dragon Falls is a pretty good log flume - I personally prefer Loggers due to the final drop but I think Falls is fun plus you gave the added bonus of not tasting scabby lake water. Didn't they run a competition back in 2013 for a new design for the ride? I know the ride experience is the same but removing them Buddhas makes the final drop so boring to look at. #bringbackbuddhas

• 2 weeks later...

Which is a strongly saddening fact when parks like Phantasialand, Efteling & Europa Park have plushed up their rides. Rides like River Quest, Pirana Rapids & more adding small but noticeable improvements making the rides even better.

It's a pity Chessington couldn't do anything on that scale due to management as it further proves how the UK is mostly falling behind other parks.

And planning permission.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...

Excellent video. It's really interesting to see it before the theming was completed. That elephant is amazing, I don't recall it IRL when was it removed? I'm assuming that the rubbish one which never works any more right outside the station is not the remnants of it, is it?

Did the water used to be coloured at the very start? Unless it's a side effect of the tube cameras from the 80s but all early videos the water seems to have a dark green colour to it. Also there are stains on the trough from this, I'm pretty sure that Dragon Falls has always ran on a closed clean water system.

Dragon Falls remains my favourite ride of all time, even though it's pretty much just a bare log flume now. I've been on Dragon Falls more than any other ride in total anywhere. At least the ride it's self is still good even though the theming elements around it are long removed.

The elephant is (shockingly!) the same. Its been butchered over many years, it was built to smaller scale and was meant to appear bigger from a distance, which is why it now looks tiny when closer to the track. The trunk also seems to have been shortened and the whole thing painted solid grey so doesnt look as nice or lifelike. And its movement probably has never been properly refurbished in 30 years, last it got turned on it moved pretty badly.

Goes to show how standards dropped! You'd never think the exisitng elephant could look so good!

The water used to be dyed a teal colour, and yes its always been a closed water system.

Yeah I was thinking that it used to be dyed but wasn't entirely sure, I guess I never took much notice of it at the time. When I watched the older videos on Youtube I still wasn't convinced if it was dyed or if it was just the quality of the videos, but at least it's confirmed for me now :). I wonder why they stopped doing that.

At least Dragon Falls & Pirate Falls at Legoland use nice clean water rather than awful lake water.