Saturday 14th Feb - Thorpe Park Open day trip

Marc

Today was an aboslutely amazing day. It was brilliant to see everyone for the first time from the forums. Thank you all for being kind to me on my first meet. I would recommend going to the next meet if you have never been before. It is a hilarious experience, X failed :( and on vortex mega :(

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Failday...Yeah well the day itself was great, but most of the rides were failing all day. Not even Saw could escape all the failing as it got stuck at the very top of the lift hill towards the end of the day. So at 10am the gates opened, and the rides available were errm...Detonator, Carousel and Mr.Monkeys Banana Ride. Throughout the day the main rides open were Nemesis Inferno, Detonator, Vortex, X:\NWO, Zodiac and Quantum, but all of these either opened late or suffered breakdowns. Colossus had started testing and was due to open at around 2ish, but then as the queue opens, 5 minutes later...'Colossus is experiencing a technical delay and has ciesed operation'. And that was Colossus closed for the day. Rush also failed to open, and at the beginning of the day it has seats missing, but they were put back in mid-dayish, but it still didn't open. And yes Samurai is still there for those who are still wondering.Zodiac was the biggest fail of the day, when it stopped half way through a testing cycle in a vertical position. And as far as I could see the only reason Stealth wasn't open was due to Tidal Wave's scaffolding going to near to the brake run track. There seemed to be nothing going on it, no work or maintenence being done, so it was difficult to see apart from this why it was shut. Slammer had scaffolding up and its tops were missing too. Fungle Safari is still there, and there doesn't seem to have been much done to it either. X:\NWO decided to break down as soon as we had stupidly run through the whole queue line. Though this didn't stop us running back out again :(. Quantum was also on one of the strangest settings ever in the morning. For about 5 minutes all it did was go up to half way and then back down again, pretty much like the Banana Boat. Eventually it did go over the top, but it took its time. Was pretty fun to be yelling Fail and Win throughout it though! Posted ImageTidal Wave scaffoldingPosted ImageFailiacPosted ImageSome more failPosted ImageTom taking a failpic with the iFail...WIN :(.Saw pics are in the Saw topic but the full set of photos are here.Anyway thanks to everyone who went, was a fun day!

Woooo I'm special! I shall thank Chris, Rich, Mikey and James a.k.a skunky for making my day just that little bit better. Everyone else gets a thanks toooo cause it was actually awesome! xxxEdit: Btw I will never be able to go on Vortex again unless I know thats its super safe.

Rides close as and when there is a problem. They will never close a ride just for the sake of it!Really really good day, thanks to everyone especially Holly and Chris for making it fun.

True, it's something my dad has always said, sometimes if it's extra busy and they can't handle the queues :? still...It's annoying that most of the rides were down on the first day of opening, especially as testing over the past few days was meant to have been successful :/

Hey guys, it's just Mark9 posting under Marc's name. Rides will only be closed if there is a legitimate reason. Surely you may have noticed how cold it was today. Zodiac was not failac, that is its testing procedures. The thing with open day is that the rides haven't operated under normal operation for a long time so you have to expect downtime. All those going today expecting all rides open were thinking way to positively.

Look at it from a general public point of view - Rides that are advertised as opening should be open. They go on the trip expecting everything listed to be open, that's not thinking positively, it's just thinking normally. The weather is a non-argument, if Phantasialand can get everything open in -15 degrees, and everything at Alton ran fine as advertised yesterday, so should Thorpe be able to handle it. Very poor show from TP.

When the hell did you post this! LOLYeah today was good. I've already had a rant bout the ride reliability in another topic so cba to do it again.

LOL! When we were actually sat in the bbq place while you were munching xDYesterday was sooo much fun!! Thanks Marc and Mark9 (:() for the lifts!And thanks everyone for your amazingness!!Definitely gonna try and go again!!xx:(

Glad to see everybody had fun , I am very unwell still today and felt awful yesterday and there was not a chance I would make it, sounds like the park didn't cope too well which is a shame to hear though. Will hopefully see some of you soon as I haven't met up with alot of you for a long time.

Failday...Zodiac was the biggest fail of the day, when it stopped half way through a testing cycle in a vertical position. And as far as I could see the only reason Stealth wasn't open was due to Tidal Wave's scaffolding going to near to the brake run track. There seemed to be nothing going on it, no work or maintenence being done, so it was difficult to see apart from this why it was shut. Slammer had scaffolding up and its tops were missing too. Fungle Safari is still there, and there doesn't seem to have been much done to it either. X:\NWO decided to break down as soon as we had stupidly run through the whole queue line. Though this didn't stop us running back out again :(. Quantum was also on one of the strangest settings ever in the morning. For about 5 minutes all it did was go up to half way and then back down again, pretty much like the Banana Boat. Eventually it did go over the top, but it took its time. Was pretty fun to be yelling Fail and Win throughout it though! Anyway thanks to everyone who went, was a fun day!

Zodiac stopping at a vertical position while testing - was it a "normal" test cycle aka the ride doing it's normal thing, or was it the engineers raising the arm up and down? If it was the latter then it's normal for them to leave it hanging around at the top before lowering it. If it was a "normal" test cycle then the guests in the area would know about it *big bang as the ride e-stops, and the gondolas swinging down with a crash due to no centrifugal force* The only testing I saw was the arm going up and down, and I heard that it was testing but didn't hear of it e-stopping at the top.As for Stealth, it has serious issues that have followed on from last season, I'm not even gonna go into detail! So it wasn't anything to do with Tidal scaffolding. And remember, just because you can't see any work going on, it doesn't mean nothing is being done.Quantum was testing when it wasn't going over the top, because...well, they were waiting for it to go over the top! The staff member at the front said it had been going on for about 20 minutes. Or where you on the ride when it happened? 5 minutes is pretty long for the operator to sit there and let it not do what it's supposed to.I actually thought it was quite funny when Colossus didn't even manage one ride, after everyone stampeeded across the bridge with all the excitement...I bet it was thinking "WHAT?! ALL those fan people?! In this weather?! Oh no way, nooo way, I am going on strike!" Anyway here is my experience of yesterday...It was fun.The end. :(XNWO - our first ride of 09 was X...eek. It looks funny inside as well, as they repainted it white at the start, they've recovered the bag room at the front, which has a wider exit window so it's nicer for the staff (but still pure hell to work in, especially as it currently smells of paint) and sorted the walls out so they harder for chavs to kick and do god knows what else to them. Apparently, two days into the season, it is now covered in graffiti :(Nemesis InfernoDetty :( QuantumNemmie again, after losing our minds and running over the Colossus bridge, then it had a technical problem so we got a priority pass. Which are different now, they don't have a date on them and they gave us one for three of us. I currently have it, Marc is jealous :(VortexZodiacDetty Nandos after a bit of a kerfuffle where we wondered around and no one could decide where to go, because there were no tables for a group of our size...Speaking of which, I have a group pic, apparently there was one before that we missed so I dunno how many were in that compared to my one (which wasn't a great deal of people).