Paultons Park

Rich

Really liking how Paultons is starting to become of the leading theme parks in the Uzk, especially since they now have several definitive areas (Lost Kingdom, Peppa Pig & Critter Creek). They're on track to be the Uk's best family park.

They already are the Uk's best family park, I think you mean best theme park in the UK!

Paultons is fab. 

Anyway, as I'm guessing this will be deemed a big investment for the park and they seem to quite like freshening up areas, I'd love to see them work on the area with Cobra and Edge. Magma is nicely themed. Go Karts just need to go. But Cobra and Edge don't really fit in anywhere now. Cobra is a great little coaster and Edge good for the thrill seekers, but I wish they'd work on the area, retheme it or even give it a theme.

Paultons25.JPG

Cobra's station is horrid. So yeah theming that up would be a great small investment in my eyes, maybe even add a smaller family style flat down there to make it less thrill seeker end dominant. Then a nice dark ride after thanks.

Yeah, looking at the map it does seem those rides mentioned above do sound a little out of place in their current forms, so theming them up would be great to see.

Assuming next year will be a smaller year (seeing the medium-large investments we've seen) theming the Cobra Edge area to something on the lines of recent themes (but different) would be nice.

I'd like to see their next big thing after Lost Kingdom maybe be either a small, but decent dark ride or a family wooden coaster. The Go karts could make for an ideal location, or even the compact Flume ride which I expect is also starting to look out of place in contrast to the recent upgrades.

The latest rumours I heard were that Paulton's were spending anything up to £8-9 million on the Lost Kingdom investment.  I don't know how true that is, but if it is, then they've gotten a pretty good deal for being able to get 2 new coasters, a few new attractions and what looks to be good theming for the most part.

The latest rumours I heard were that Paulton's were spending anything up to £8-9 million on the Lost Kingdom investment.  I don't know how true that is, but if it is, then they've gotten a pretty good deal for being able to get 2 new coasters, a few new attractions and what looks to be good theming for the most part.

I've heard the £8-9 million figure around the place too, it would make sense considering their last major investment was in Peppa Pig World, which was £6 million.

I doubt an SFC and Jr Boomerang would cost more than £3-4m...

Its classic Vekoma though, cheap rides meaning more to spend tarting it up...

Got to remember that Cobra and Edge were built before the park had much money... They will probably continue their form of improving existing areas though assuming Lost Kingdom is a success... Which it should be...

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently, the Raptor thing is because Merlin own the rights to that name on an attraction across the whole of Europe so they had to change it :)

I heard that too, but after having a look, I can't see anything to suggest that is actually the case?  

More sounds like a story of someone trying to needlessly bash Merlin than anything else...

I wouldn't say this is Merlin having it in for Paultons if the Raptor thing is true. Merlin will have decided upon the licensing rights of the Raptor name on merch etc for their attraction back when it opened at Gardaland in 2011. No way can that be seen as Merlin having it in for Paultons if its been in place for 5+ years. 

There must be a reason behind the change though, because Raptor is easy, Velociraptor not so much. 

https://oami.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/013767801

Here it is actually, but it was opposed. Was applied for beginning of last year. So yeah, not sure on this one. Just seems odd to change the name as it was on the trains etc.

Raptor is a trademark of Merlin's for European attractions.

Ordinarily, I'd be happy to take statements like this at face value and accept it, but I just can't when:

1)  https://oami.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/013767801- This link suggests Merlin haven't acquired distinctiveness of 'Raptor'.

2)  There's no evidence to support Raptor is trademarked.

3)  It seems like too big an oversight for Paulton's to make (they'd surely be extra careful about doing things right after not properly applying for permission to build Edge).

If it is trademarked by Merlin, then really there should be no fuss about it.  Merlin would have the rights to the name and Paulton's shouldn't be allowed to use it.  It's not Merlin having it in for the park or anything; unless they got wind that Paulton's were planning to build a coaster called 'Raptor' over 5 years ago...

^ they don't have to own it exclusively, just prove to whoever is listening consumers could become confused by the name. If Merlin 'own' the name it's up to them to enforce it not Paulton's job to go searching copyright databases, so it's quiet likely Paultons were oblivious until someone at Merlin took a double take at the Paultons literature and called down to legal who served a C&D.

Nothing sinister about it, just business, you can bet if Merlin opened a coaster called Peppa Pigs Fartocoaster Paultons would be on them quicker than a fly on crap.