Paultons Park

Rich

I went to Paultons today for the first time since 2010 - it was.....busy! But still a good day - not one that I would do with people my age as it is more aimed towards kids/families etc. I really like the park as they have a nice selection of rides, some animals, the staff are really friendly and the grounds are well maintained.

Peppa Pig World was insanely busy - but I can see why, because the themeing around it is amazing.

I went with my sister and my niece (9 years old) and her friend (5 years old) - managed to do the Jumping Jack ride x 4, Log Flume x 1, Cobra x 2, Magma x1, Swinging chair ride thing x 1 (hate them things but had to sit with the 5 year old!), Kontiki (same as griffins galleon at CWOA) x 3, Dragon Coaster x 1, erm - and others which I have completely forgotten (it's been a long day).

Was pretty impressed with Magma - had I not previously ridden Detty I think I may have pooped myself but the drop is not intense at all and it is a fun ride. I think the park is underrated tbh - it has a lot to offer and really lovely grounds. I wanted to go on the train ride thingy but we had to leave at around 4.30pm booo. But all in all a good day

• 1 month later...

I have stolen a child and am heading to Paultons tomorrow! Never been before, quiteexcited even though it's not really aimed at me.

Stolen a child eh?! Paultons is a lovely park - try to get on Wave Runner (basically a yellow version of Depth Charge), The Edge (if you can tolerate Kobra at CWOA), Magma and Cobra. Can't imagine the park would be very busy with kids back at school. Forgot what else I was going to type as there is someone tapping at my window......which is a tad worrying as I live upstairs :o

Edit: It was a bird at the window - was getting a bit freaked out. Shutting up now :lol:

Edited by Han30

I went yesterday and had a great time, the whole place is clearly very well cared for and has a nice balance of stuff to do to keep everyone happy.

- Thought Cobra was brilliant, a really fun reridable coaster. As with all the larger rides it was walk on all day, we were the first riders of the day and could probably have just sat on it until closing going round and round until close. The little transition between helix's and bunny hops are a dream. The other two little coasters were credits.

- Magma is pleasant, more like an out sized jumping bean than a drop ride. Simple but effective theming and nice to see that even on dead days they spend the money to pump out a volcano full of dry ice every single cycle. I don't really like Disk'0s, but it's there, doing what it does, so I went on it and lost the feeling in my legs thanks to the over enthusiastic pointless lapbelt.

- Wave runner, their neat and clean Depth Charge-a-like manages a much higher throughput than Thorpe with a grand total of one enthusiastic member of staff ruining it. The log flume is a pretty crap travelling variety.

- Peppa Pig world is at the same time a really well themed land with fun and slightly unusual rides and also hell on earth with the looping theme and screaming toddlers. I can see why it is such a huge success, nice to see their effort rewarded with crowds of families throwing money at them. They could have just stuck peppas face on the front of some existing rides instead, credit to them.

-Loads of other little kids rides and play areas, very much enjoyed by my nephew. Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to go the 4D cinema, the pull of Peppa being too strong for my company.

The grounds are immaculate with a lot of little animal exhibits to discover, walk through things like the Dinosaur area and Wind in the Willows tucked away and free play versions of those little coin op rides. For what it is Paultons is close to perfect really, would be nice to see a good family coaster and water ride combo to make things a little more worth while for the older end of the family. It is not cheap either, but when things are so well presented and you can see where that money goes you can't begrudge them that really.

The only actual complaint I could make about the place is the ever present wasps. I know they'll always be there but they should at least make an effort. They need swing lid bins and wasp traps pretty urgently. Both me and my nephew got stung, and even worse the commotion caused me to drop about a third of an otherwise delicious hot dog. Tragedy.

Hmm, maybe. I think the open topped bins are the biggest problem then, every one of them had it's own little swarm. Swing tops would surely help.

I also didn't mention that that the old entrance is no more, was told that it is in the last few days it has happened now the peak seasons is over but the whole entrance is like a building site and much of the wooden structure is down already. They have pictures up of what it is being replaced with, to be honest I'm a bit sceptical - it looks like the entrance to a shopping centre to me, not really in keeping with a countryside family theme park. I never saw the old space so don't know how needed it is, but the new builds ultra modern style looks a bit jarring against the rest of the park and the setting if it turns out like the artists impression.

• 4 months later...

YES the old entrance really was'nt all that good IMO,It looked like they plonked down some Portacabins randomly in front of the entrance gates, I think the new entrance will be much needed, nice and modern with a nice new main shop and new restaurant.
All the new 2014 changes have been confirmed now. They are building a new Carousel,The New Entrance with New Shop and Restaurant will be ready for Easter, and there will be a new film in the 4D cinema. While not terribly exciting changes all round(although I am looking forward to seeing what the new entrance plaza will look like) 2015 should see another big ride if Paultons keeps up their tradidion of a "Big Ride every 3 years"

2000 - Stinger

2003 - Wave Runner

2006 - Cobra

2009 - The Edge

2012 - Magna

2015 - ??????

Rumours keep pointing to a Mini Rapids Ride(like what they have at West Midlands Safari Park) That was a while ago though so haven't heard anything else on the subject for ages,Hopefully a new coaster is on the cards :D

I've never been to Paultons park, but hear its a pretty good family park and includes lots of great additions such as Cobra, Edge and Pepper Pig Land.

In terms of the 2015 investment, I would love to see either an immersive dark ride with a track system, a new family coaster or a small well themed rapids ride.

Entrance concept art, definately looks an improvement from the old one though.

Always thought that a rapid ride could place the go karts, such a waste of space and could easily place a extended version of the Zamperla rapid rides. They actually look quite decent and fun! Also a dark ride like Laser Raiders at Legoland is what the park needs, could easily extend out the wind in the willows and put one in there.

• 1 month later...

I like the look of the entrance a lot. Very sleek, modern and even a few characteristic elements such as the tree outside and undercover area.

Suits the park well and better than those old log cabin booths they used to have. I think parks like Oakwood and Thorpe should follow this, in terms of renovating their entrances.

I like the look of the entrance a lot. Very sleek, modern and even a few characteristic elements such as the tree outside and undercover area.

Suits the park well and better than those old log cabin booths they used to have. I think parks like Oakwood and Thorpe should follow this, in terms of renovating their entrances.

And Thorpe. Possibly even Towers, although it might not fit in with the surroundings there.

Very nice piece of modern architecture, though I must agree, it hardly invokes the thrill/adventure vibe that should be associated with a theme park entrance. Having said that, do any UK parks carry that style anymore

In short, I like it but I believe it to be more suited to a retail/business unit than a theme park. ^_^

I'm sure it is very functional compared with what went before (I only ever saw it as a building site) which I'm sure is the main thing they were trying to achieve, but I plain don't like it as a theme park entrance. Unsurprisingly it has turned out a lot like the plans, which I thought looked like a shopping center and not really in keeping with the rest of the park or its surroundings.

Hardly a gateway to a magical world, is it?