Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Dan_Rush

It's switch on night for the Illuminations in Blackpool today, meaning that there will be thousands of people in the resort with cash to spend in the evening.

Why, yet again, are BPB closing at 6pm on such a big occasion?  I can't understand the logic behind doing a midnight close in November when the weather is vile, yet failing to open late when they already have a huge number of people already in Blackpool!

BPB returns to profit:

Blackpool Pleasure Beach jumped back into profit last year after a warm summer, more competitive prices and the continuing fashion for British ‘staycations’ helped to boost the crowds.

The number of visitors to the seaside theme park rose by 12 per cent in the year to March.
The pleasure beach – which is owned and run by the descendants of founder William George Bean who bought the 42-acre site in 1896 – has nine ten roller coasters including The Big One.

Accounts filed for the year to March 22, 2015, show sales grew from £25.9 million to £28.7 million, while a £1.9 million loss turned into a £364,000 profit.
A spokesman for the park said it had benefited from work done to improve Blackpool as an overall destination. 

The park’s policy of adding new rides every year – including the Wallace & Gromit Thrill-O-Matic and the latest attraction, the Red Arrows Skyforce – had also helped.
The managing director of the park is Amanda Thompson, great-granddaughter of William Bean. Her brother Nick is deputy managing director. 
They are shareholders of Blackpool Pleasure Beach along with their sister Fiona Gilje and mother Barbara Thompson.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-3223488/Blackpool-s-roll-theme-park-returns-profit-thanks-warm-summer-rise-British-staycation.html

Great news!  :)

Excellent! But where was this warm summer they speak of? Seems to have been pissing down daily since about June!

I think these figures are 2014's, so the park has actually been in profit throughout this year but they release their figures a year late - so it probably means that last year was a warm summer.

I was on park on some warm summer days in August this year and it was heaving, haven't seen it so busy in years.

They are more amusement park awards rather than theme park. The theming there may be incredible but to me I'd prefer just a decent ride.

That's my opinion on parks as well.  Just looked on RCDB and Tokyo Disney only has three coasters - not saying that the theming isn't world class, but personally I generally class scenery as secondary to a good ride.

Apart from valhalla, maybe GN and WM, what is great about BPB as a park? The whole reason why Europa is no.1 is because of the experience and the themeing that the park has as well as the operations which are ridiculous in EP. Not just because they have a good amount of coasters.

Depends what you want in a park really.  I enjoy all the coasters at BPB and the fact that they have the biggest collection of wooden coasters in the world is one of the main reasons for me visiting, as well as the fact that I enjoy PMBO (don't care what enthusiasts think about it, it's popular with the GP and I like it) and there isn't one coaster there that bores me.  Also has the best atmosphere in the UK IMO.

It used to have amazing operations, sadly that hasn't been the case for a number of years now.

I do want to visit Europa, it looks amazing.

Well with every other categorie it seems very amusement park based. Europa I imagine is coming down to good operations, good ride offerings and good extras. So comes together for best all round experience. So while I imagine theming played a part in the decision I doubt it was the main reason because like mentioned there are parks with far better theming.

Just wait until 2017 though at PBP, if everything rumoured so far is correct, we will have another fantastic big coaster in the UK (one that could even knock Nemy off the top spot for some).

Tbh Blackpool & Disney Sea are both different parks in many ways. Disney Sea offers highly immersive and experiences and theming (that tower of terror, drools) whilst Blackpool is more of a interesting selection of new and old rides. Most of the coasters there are actually pretty good.