Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Dan_Rush

That's gonna make things burdenous if closed for the cred construction...

I think the new coaster will occupy that space so they'll have to build a new bridge somewhere else - navigating the park next year is going to be interesting to say the least!

I have heard a lot of suggestions of this being a Mack coaster, but then Premier Rides have been mentioned a lot as well so I haven't got a clue what this is going to be.

• 4 weeks later...

BPB is celebrating its 120th season this year, and the park opens in February for "WOW Weekends" up until the last weekend in March, from then on it's open every day until the end of the season.

£15 wristbands when booked online during "WOW Weekends" is a steal really considering that it's a full ride lineup (well, it has been every other year and I don't see why it'll be any different this year).

In other news, Amanda has said that nothing major is happening in 2017, so I think it's looking more likely that this new project will open in 2018 or possibly even later.

• 1 month later...

It appears that The Big One, Valhalla, Wild Mouse and Splash Bash are all closed today (granted, PMBO is due to wind so unavoidable), as well as Revolution, Steeplechase and Ice Blast having closed part-way through the day.

I'm not sure they should be opening in February claiming that "all rides will be open" when they are clearly not ready to open, maybe they should stay closed until March?

It's completely unacceptable to have rides closed, even due to safety reasons, I certainly won't ever visit this dishonest park.

I think that's a bit extreme, if they had run PMBO in the wind today they would have ended up with a train full of stranded passengers as it would not make it round the course!

However the other closures show that they clearly aren't ready in February and therefore the park shouldn't open, and the fact that they told people that everything would be open is what annoys me.

Going simply off what I've read here, these closures can't have been planned? These things happen, like with Thorpe and Chessington at the beginning of last season. I really do appreciate that having a number of rides closed can mar your visit somewhat, it doesn't make the place in question horrible or unreliable necessarily.

I find it confusing when people seem to think parks close or don't open rides with little to no notice just for the lols, and that there can't possibly be a legitimate reason for it.

Again I don't know much but maybe they simply fell behind schedule unexpectedly if it's a case of the rides not being ready, surely having the park open as promised but with four rides down is better than not opening at all because 'only' four rides are down? I feel like no parks could really win with you, Jamie

Going simply off what I've read here, these closures can't have been planned? These things happen, like with Thorpe and Chessington at the beginning of last season. I really do appreciate that having a number of rides closed can mar your visit somewhat, it doesn't make the place in question horrible or unreliable necessarily.

I find it confusing when people seem to think parks close or don't open rides with little to no notice just for the lols, and that there can't possibly be a legitimate reason for it.

Again I don't know much but maybe they simply fell behind schedule unexpectedly if it's a case of the rides not being ready, surely having the park open as promised but with four rides down is better than not opening at all because 'only' four rides are down? I feel like no parks could really win with you, Jamie

I have no doubt that they fell behind schedule, so why tell people that all rides will be open?  Despite the fact that some of them (Splash Bash) are still half-assembled and undergoing maintenance!

I'm not saying that they should have closed the park today due to the closures, that would be ridiculous.  I'm suggesting that maybe 13 weeks isn't long enough for them to complete their maintenance schedule, therefore they should open later in the year, or open in February but with "selected rides available."  I think that in some cases the rides hadn't been tested enough, which combined with the high winds means that there is risk of them stalling (as PMBO did yesterday during a test run).  Not sure why Valhalla was closed though.

Has the park not managed fine in the past? If so, does that imply this is some kind of anomaly as the 13 weeks are usually sufficient? I honestly know slim to know about Blackpool and its operations, so I'm merely being hypothetical

In recent years the park has struggled to have everything ready in February, but not as bad as this year.  In the past they have managed much better, which leads me to think that maybe they've reduced the maintenance budget?

^In fairness, there could be several possible reasons for not all rides being open; it doesn't necessarily mean a reduced maintenance budget.

Since they're only open on selected dates for the time being (weekends, half term), maybe they should advertise it as "selected rides" being open, or some words to that effect, to cover themselves for things like this.  

Maybe they spent too much money on a new bridge for their 120th season. Progress from fountains at least. 

Stuff comes up in maintenance that may take longer than planned, look at Vampire last year. Totally get that, it's like having an MoT, if there's lots wrong it could take and cost more than planned. That's fine, they shouldn't have been trying to ride a high horse thinking they could open everything up today and just said that some things would be closed. What, wristbands are £15 atm, still a bargain.

Maybe they spent too much money on a new bridge for their 120th season. Progress from fountains at least.

Stuff comes up in maintenance that may take longer than planned, look at Vampire last year. Totally get that, it's like having an MoT, if there's lots wrong it could take and cost more than planned. That's fine, they shouldn't have been trying to ride a high horse thinking they could open everything up today and just said that some things would be closed. What, wristbands are £15 atm, still a bargain.

The bridge was built because the park needed one, not to celebrate their 120th.

£15 is a bargain but that is the online price, it's still £30 (normal admission price) on the gate which is costly for a half-open park IMO. If they were advertising it as selected rides open then it would be fine, in fact I think some rides would benefit from a few extra months' TLC and longer to test them before they try opening the whole park.

Did Blackpool last year with a closed Big One and didn't affect my day at all.

I've had days where I've been to parks with several rides closed and still enjoyed them.

I think the important thing to remember is Blackpool doesn't always have the best weather conditions and most of its rides are much older than 20 years of age.