Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Dan_Rush

In the past they have managed much better, which leads me to think that maybe they've reduced the maintenance budget?

Bruh. This is like literally scratching the hairs off of skin on the matter. There are literally 1000's of reason why rides don't open on time, and pretty much all of them have unexpected consequences. I find it funny you jump to this conclusion when there could be missing parts, a staff walk out, non-ideal weather conditions to check rides (gets pretty windy over there), unexpected ride malfunctions (like stalling and shredded bolts). Reduced maintenance budget may be one of the more common ones but you got to look at the bigger picture. Most of the rides at blackpool are ancient, and are a hell of a pain to fix because of how old they are. I wouldn't put it down to just money.

Bruh. This is like literally scratching the hairs off of skin on the matter. There are literally 1000's of reason why rides don't open on time, and pretty much all of them have unexpected consequences. I find it funny you jump to this conclusion when there could be missing parts, a staff walk out, non-ideal weather conditions to check rides (gets pretty windy over there), unexpected ride malfunctions (like stalling and shredded bolts). Reduced maintenance budget may be one of the more common ones but you got to look at the bigger picture. Most of the rides at blackpool are ancient, and are a hell of a pain to fix because of how old they are. I wouldn't put it down to just money.

Believe me I know about the many issues BPB faces regarding weather, age of their rides and the fact that they have to manufacture many of the parts in-house. I know that they were unable to test PMBO in the week leading up to park opening due to the wind, but as said it couldn't run today because of the wind anyway.

But (to my knowledge) their opening day has never been as bad as this, hence why it is possible that something has changed to cause this.

You'll still visit 500 more times this year so does it matter? One day does not a park's season make...

It is for people like me, just I'm glad I didn't visit today... although making the 8 hour round trip in a couple of weeks, so I'd like to think by then the other rides should be ready.

I completely get things occur beyond their control, but the same with merlin which seems to happen year upon year, why advertise a full opening of the season when there's more than one ride unavailable; surely there should be plans in place to expect the unexpected with some sort of extra time frame to allow everything ready by, so if something does pop up there's more time available... but it just seems so stupid of parks to advertise a full park and then to find so many rides closed because they're not ready yet, it is a terrible excuse if you ask me, one that shouldn't be repeated year on year.

I have to say however good Valhalla is, on the 7th of February that and Spongebob are the last rides I'd want to go on this time of year and I'd imagine when they looked at it they probably felt the same. Wild Mouse was closed towards the end of last season obviously needed a little more attention. I don't imagine in February they are attracting new visitors, so anyone who looked outside and thought Big One would be open may have needed there heads checked.

Yes its disappointing I have to do a 300 mile trip to get there but seriously some of the comments about half the rides being shut and them being dishonest is disgusting when its not the case. There wasn't a single theme park I visited last year where everything is advertised as "open" where rides haven't been shut, in some more local places more than 4.

I'd rather go to Blackpool in February still get on 7 coasters, several thrill rides, some amazing classic family rides for £15 quid than rock up outside any other theme park and stare at a gate.

I'm sure they don't close things for fun.

I'm equally sure they didn't just realise that all these rides were not going to be ready on the day, but would have known a goid few in advance. Would be nice to tell people so they can make an informed decision if they still want to visit, rather than just letting them turn up and pissing them off.

Opening day on the beach this year was absolutely no different from any other year!

Sorry to correct you Jamie...

but I do actually go at the start of each season.

They always have a large number of problems getting the rides open and running every season.

I had a great day there yesterday,

always love the opening cock ups and chaos,

my biggest worry was no draught beer,

got a dozen coaster rides in during a 3 hour visit,

which works out at just over a quid a ride.

I love early season opening to get my fix after a long sad winter.

Too windy for the Big One,

Mouse has issues with new brakes.

Valhalla and spongebob are cold wet rides,

so very few would have wanted to ride anyway on a wet, cold February day.

And dishonest park Zach???

I'm sure there was no intent to deceive,

have you been to Thorpe in the last couple of seasons,

in my humble opinion,

no park has done worse than Thorpe in the last couple of seasons to get their rides fully open.

Opening day on the beach this year was absolutely no different from any other year!

Sorry to correct you Jamie...

but I do actually go at the start of each season.

I seem to remember there being far less issues last year, there were several breakdowns but not such a huge number of rides closed all day alongside the many other issues that were seemingly present yesterday.

Huge now means 4 rides? One of which was beyond the park's control, and I wouldn't be surprised if the wind was also affecting Revolution (I DREAD to think how much that would wobble in the winds we've been getting recently) and Ice Blast... Dunno about Steeplechase but who knows, when things close halfway through the day you can probably guess it's something unexpected...

Sounds like nothing compared to that great Thorpe Feb Half Term disaster...

Loads of problems last year Jamie,

Rev winched into the station at least 3 times,

Mousey stuck on the first u turn... (oh how I wish it was me),

printer problems on wristbands,

Big One estopping behind the station all day,

Wallace and Gromit having a lengthy funny turn,

massive queues at the entrance and information desks,

plastic printer packing up for season tickets,

can't recall much else but I'm sure there would have been more,

all usual for opening day.

And Benin, the wait to get on the Revolution yesterday was scarier than the ride itself,

what with the station rocking and being blown into the low handrail in the wind.

Huge now means 4 rides? One of which was beyond the park's control, and I wouldn't be surprised if the wind was also affecting Revolution (I DREAD to think how much that would wobble in the winds we've been getting recently) and Ice Blast... Dunno about Steeplechase but who knows, when things close halfway through the day you can probably guess it's something unexpected...

Sounds like nothing compared to that great Thorpe Feb Half Term disaster...

The Big One, Revolution and Steeplechase all struggle in the wind (due to stalling issues on all of them), but I think that Rev and Steeple would have coped if they had been run-in correctly, rather than leaving it until one/two weeks before park opening to start testing.  Not that long ago the park used to test rides up to a month in advance to make sure they were ready for opening.

Then you have Valhalla, Wild Mouse, Avatar Airbender and Spongebob's Splash Bash all closed, as well as Big Dipper, Grand National and Avalanche all on low capacity (one train, or one on each side in the case of National) with Speedy Pass causing havoc on Nash.  Combined with multiple breakdowns on the other rides and reports of it taking over an hour to process people's season passes, it sounds farcical.

Dipper couldn't test because of new brake bits being fitted,

and work being done on the station,

so only one train could be run in.

Mouses new brakes played up,

and always struggles running in.

It was extremely windy so Steeplechase was down...

and as you weren't there Jamie,

there was no need to open Valhalla!

Looks like they need you to set up a competent maintenance programme Jamie!

If I ruled the world etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I asked Blackpool on Facebook what rides will be closed this weekend (yes I know rides break down on the day or can't open due to bad ride design because of the wind etc. Bla bla)...

The only rides that we have scheduled to be closed are the Carousel, Avatar Airbender and SpongeBob's SplashBash

I'm gutted about airbender but it seems all the other rides are planned to be open now, so glad I didn't pick the first weekends to go... Just gotta hope the wind stays down, and on a personal preference the rain forecasted to disappear aha :P

Just a heads up, I'd recommend getting to the park early as they had issues with the new system in the ticket office last weekend which caused it to take people up to 60 - 90 minutes to get into the park!

Hopefully it'll be ironed out by this weekend but just thought it was worth mentioning.

Airbender has been closed since October, quite poor really.

Just a heads up, I'd recommend getting to the park early as they had issues with the new system in the ticket office last weekend which caused it to take people up to 60 - 90 minutes to get into the park!

Hopefully it'll be ironed out by this weekend but just thought it was worth mentioning.

Airbender has been closed since October, quite poor really.

Hasn't the whole park been closed since October?

Yeah, the point I'm getting at is that it was closed in October with a blue cover over part of the disc and it's seemingly in the same state now as it was then, which is a long time considering they have had the winter closure to sort it out.

Of course non-visible work may have been going on, but it just seems a bit strange.

had a great day today, was surprised how busy it was though!

got to ticket collection about 10.20, and got wristbands about half hour later after queuing.

Ride reliability wasn't the best, wild mouse not opening on time, then seeing it testing loads in the day and also watching it stall which was funny aha, but it reopened later in the day and managed to ride it, avalanche was closed for most the day but was open the last few hours, big one opened about 2 and then I got to it just before queue close at 5 and got a go on the back row and was better than I remember, then to top it off they let us reride as we were the last train of the day :-)

Was so nice to try sky force, couldn't get it very well on the first go, but managed to get spinning right at the end of the cycle which was a shame but returned later in the day and surprised myself by managing to get 47 aha, probably one of the most intense rides I've done without feeling sick!

It shocks me to say this, but unlike thorpe and chessington.. pleasure beach I'd actually consider as a multi day park, as the most I queued was half hour for a ride and had quite a few walk ons at the beginning of the day and being pretty non stop and only having 2 rerides (sky force and big one),never managed to get all the rides done like wallace and gromit, ghost train, impossible, avalanche and the other smaller rides; I do hope I go back again sometime this year, or at least next year when they may hopefully have a shiny new coaster which is exactly what the park with ancient rides needs!

Shame to hear about the closures, they're a few weeks into the season now so aside from wind problems, there shouldn't really be many issues with ride availability.

I agree about BPB being a multi-day park, I don't get bored of it after visiting several days in a row.

Did you do Valhalla out of interest?

as mentioned in the message they replied to me they were true to their word that airbender, carousel and spongebob splash battle thing (whatever it's called) was closed.

Valhalla had a lengthy closed period, I seen revolution stuck just at the end of the launch, big dipper stopped on the lift hill... and operations on most rides seemed really slow, although most of the staff were really friendly which was nice. But everything else was open at some point if not majority or even all of the day.

Yes I did do Valhalla of course.. I couldn't make the near 4 hour drive each way for the day and not to valhalla. as far as I'm aware most of the effects were working and looked like new lighting in the first lift tunnel (but I had last been may 2014 so..?).. and regardless of effects guaranteed to get wet no matter how wrapped up with ponchos you are aha!

I think the biggest issue capacity-wise in the entire park is now Valhalla.  Nash is awful but at least the actual queue line is tiny so it's only about a 4 train wait from the stairs which isn't too bad really. 

Valhalla on the other hand could easily be an hour wait with a full queue, depending on the number of boats in service.  It's not too bad on 12 but if they've only got 8 on the system a full queue could easily be a hour's wait.  It's got even worse recently as they've reduced the capacity of some of the boats to just 6 seats rather than 8 and speedy pass has taken a chunk of capacity away from the main queue.