Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Dan_Rush

Still kinda sloppy running one train on rides that could run two..

Especially in comparison to parks like Europa.. Which run run three trains on Silver Star..  often..

But all parks do have there problems, and sometimes it can be unavoidable..

Though on my visits to BPB  I wouldn't call there operations anything to shout about..

3 hours ago, Marc said:

I equally find it amusing you'll go out your way to defend BPB for something which if it was at Thorpe (or any Merlin park for that matter) you would be spitting nails at..and to add to that - No ones moaning about it - as Josh said my post was very much  tongue-in-cheek! 

If Thorpe was open in February with a (more-or-less) full ride lineup, I wouldn't be moaning about some of the coasters being one train.

2 hours ago, Benin said:

Of course, one could say that Blackpool's older rides actually help in terms of maintenance turn around, less confusing parts and all that stuff...

Just wonder why you tell me Thorpe are irrelevant to this discussion when you yourself brought the Merlin parks into it...

I see your point but no, the older rides require much more hefty maintenance (wood replacement on the woodies etc.), plus there's the sea salt which causes all manner of issues with the rides creating more extensive maintenance.  Then there's also the fact that for some of their rides, there's no manufacturer to easily source parts for; it can't be easy to get parts for, say, a wooden Wild Mouse or an Arrow Dynamics Steeplechase.

Your post;

You got called out because you decided to bring Merlin into something they had nothing to do with; as you needed to one up them and defend Blackpool over something that you will no doubt moan over when you visit Thorpe this year...

I've said Thorpe isn't relevant (in the context of your post above) because It's a completely different circumstance to Blackpool.

Thorpe opens over a month later, when the main theme park season starts, so having one train operations is different - if they opened on a (near) full ride lineup in February I'd be cutting them some slack as far as capacity is concerned.

6 hours ago, Marc said:

Out of interest was fastrack or the BPB version of it available?

Unfortunately it was :angry2:

I was less than impressed to see it being used on PMBO and Avalanche, I don't think it should have been available for those coasters bearing in mind the (understandable) lower capacity.

2 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

On a different note - is the ride now just The Big One? When did Pepsi Max sponsorship end if so?

According to Roller Coaster Database, after 2011.

It does make it confusing though given they've not changed or repainted the mini can tunnel at the beginning though. Least Iran Bru was given a facelift in 2012 when it reopened.

• 1 month later...

This probably sounds like a really odd questions but does anyone know if the rides are suitable for slightly larger women, me and my friend went to florida last year and after heading straight to mako where they struggle to close the lap bar they took her of the ride and said that she would probably find the same case with most of the rides and has since put her of.

3 hours ago, Benin said:

Most of Blackpool's are certainly nowhere near as unforgiving as B&M clamshells (the worst for larger persons), although I'm not sure how you'd fare with seatbelts and the tighter trains...

Thank you for the heads up, before visiting sea world I'd got my friend keen on rides and theme parks and ever since she's been quite withdrawn and not wanted to go on any rides for fear of being embarrassed.

This topic is hysterical.

All else aside, if I'd paid anything to go into a park; I wouldn't be happy queuing (or should I say being advised to queue, just because I wouldn't) 2+ hours for a roller coaster that, actually, could be running two trains. If it's not ready to run two, then perhaps they're not as prepared for the opening as they thought. And yes, the same goes for Thorpe, etc. if we're going to drag it into it. Just because you have a season pass or whatever, and you can visit again; doesn't make it justifiable. If you queued 2hrs for PMBO, and then an hour for Avalanche, an hour for Infusion, and thirty minutes for Grand National; all on one train, thats already 4.5 hours of your day spent queuing when the park is open 10am till 5pm, oh but then you have to allow for the later opening rides etc. which isn't advertised before you enter (sometimes Nash is open at 10, or 11, or 12... depends on the mood really). I wonder how those people felt queuing for 2+ hours in the cold in Blackpool, especially if you went up to them and went "Oh, it would be running another train, but, it's not ready yet".

Moving on.

Yawn.

Sorry but people slag off rides like Rita for being 'slow' etc. The only Mack Launch that gets a consistent positive review is Blue Fire. This is not much like Blue Fire. I've seen people running through that Water Fountain outside Trauma Towers quicker than this thing is going to launch, which makes me wonder, what is the true point of it? Congratulations Blackpool, you're installing the UK's slowest launched roller coaster. Oh but its okay, because it has a loop, yeah?

17 hours ago, Flipper said:

All else aside, if I'd paid anything to go into a park; I wouldn't be happy queuing (or should I say being advised to queue, just because I wouldn't) 2+ hours for a roller coaster that, actually, could be running two trains. If it's not ready to run two, then perhaps they're not as prepared for the opening as they thought. And yes, the same goes for Thorpe, etc. if we're going to drag it into it. Just because you have a season pass or whatever, and you can visit again; doesn't make it justifiable. If you queued 2hrs for PMBO, and then an hour for Avalanche, an hour for Infusion, and thirty minutes for Grand National; all on one train, thats already 4.5 hours of your day spent queuing when the park is open 10am till 5pm, oh but then you have to allow for the later opening rides etc. which isn't advertised before you enter (sometimes Nash is open at 10, or 11, or 12... depends on the mood really). I wonder how those people felt queuing for 2+ hours in the cold in Blackpool, especially if you went up to them and went "Oh, it would be running another train, but, it's not ready yet".

The Big One has been on one train due to bedding in the new lift chain, that doesn't make it any less awful for those queueing up but just thought I would explain the reasoning.

17 hours ago, Flipper said:

Sorry but people slag off rides like Rita for being 'slow' etc. The only Mack Launch that gets a consistent positive review is Blue Fire. This is not much like Blue Fire. I've seen people running through that Water Fountain outside Trauma Towers quicker than this thing is going to launch, which makes me wonder, what is the true point of it? Congratulations Blackpool, you're installing the UK's slowest launched roller coaster. Oh but its okay, because it has a loop, yeah?

The point of Construction 2018 is simply to be a good coaster; it doesn't need to be "the fastest", nor does it need a gimmick, it's a very long layout and the focus is on quick low-to-ground transitions, airtime and near misses with the park's other coasters.

18 hours ago, Flipper said:

Rita isn't disliked because its "slow", its mainly disliked for being uncomfortable and not really much fun at all..

Blue Fire isn't really liked for its launch though tbh, actually I'd say its launch is probably one of the weaker parts of the ride.

The best part of Blue Fire is  actually IMO the inversions and pops of airtime due to its marvelous restraints.

The layout on Construction 2018 actually looks very strong, and I believe it'll be one of the best coasters in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing operations at Pleasure Beach today and yesterday - all rides open on time, on capacity with fast dispatches and a 7pm close :D

Wild Mouse is back open with its new magnetic braking system, only running 3 cars at the moment which I really hope is temporary (it has been testing on 4).

Big announcement coming on Tuesday, I believe it may be a name reveal for C2018.

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/business/video-name-revealed-for-blackpool-pleasure-beach-s-new-16-25m-rollercoaster-1-8485493

Their naming department is incredible. First Big One cos you know, it's big and now Icon. 

Amanda said; "Icon is going to be one of the most talked about, iconic rollercoasters of the future. The name speaks for itself as it will be one of the most iconic rides on the planet."

I mean, there's only like a fair few of these Mack rides already out there and Helix looks better in my eyes as a layout and positioning (haven't ridden it yet so allowed to judge them the same way) but I'm sure it'll be a good ride and something different for the UK.

The logo is very Asian, kinda like Ninja samurai, don't get why as I doubt it'll have any theming but hey ho.

Icon, a name that I think would work better with a The in front. 

I don't mind the name or the logo - but the thing is, neither are compatible with each other.

Before seeing the logo, I quite liked the name - and assumed it would just be an equivalent to 'The big one'. Just a genetically themed coaster celebrating all things fast and cool with an odd neon sign here and there... and that's what I was expecting: A neon sign with bold lettering that would reveal no theme.

But, upon seeing the logo, I'm terribly confused. A completely Japanese logo with a completely American name. Honestly if the name matched the logo (or vice-versa) then I wouldn't care, it just seems like the ride already has a confused brand image - which doesn't bode well for its future. People know the Smiler's branding - it's iconic. Icon's, ironically, isn't...

Edit: I love that Nick Thompson is at Europa Park ?