Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Dan_Rush

To be honest, I think that the name "Icon" is actually quite catchy and I personally think that the name works quite well with the nature of the coaster. 

What I don't understand though is the theme, it's just weird and it's actually hard to tell what they're going for considering the fact they've put a Japanese symbol in the middle of the logo. Apparently the Japenese symbol in the letter O means "speed" but that just raises more questions than it answers...

78km/h!? That's literally 48mph... I honestly don't think I've ever seen a launch coaster slower than it. And seeing as the whole coaster is being marketed for its "speed" and "raw power"(as it says in the article), I would have though that the launches might be at least a bit pacier?

Anyway to summarise, I like the layout, I prefer the colour scheme(now that it's not bright green anymore), I quite like the name(but I think the theme is a bit random to say the least) and I just hope that video is incorrect as if this coaster gets a bit speedier, I think that it could really be good fun to ride. Will certainly be one of the top coasters in the UK if they pull it all together nicely(and they are working with Mack so I'm pretty certain that this will turn out well).

1 hour ago, TPJames said:

What I don't understand though is the theme, it's just weird and it's actually hard to tell what they're going for considering the fact they've put a Japanese symbol in the middle of the logo. Apparently the Japenese symbol in the letter O means "speed" but that just raises more questions than it answers...

Yeah. After some prodding I discovered that the symbol (called 'Haya' in Japanese) translates to fast.

I hate to say this but I'm not a fan of the name, it sounds like it's for a new corporate building not a roller coaster, and doesn't really make sense as things become "icons" over time rather than when they're new IMO.  In a park which already has so many iconic rides this feels a bit forced, and it doesn't really do the low-to-ground layout of the ride justice.

With that said, maybe the name will grow on me over time.  However, "dare to ride" is frankly the laziest slogan I have ever seen.

I like the logo however in my opinion it looks too busy, with "dare to ride" encroaching on the "ICON" letters and spoiling the effect.

All that said, I'm very thankful it's not an IP, and as said above hopefully the name will grow on me.  I'm still extremely excited for this! :D

Whilst I'm highly excited for this coaster, I must admit the name is something of a let down really.

There are lots of good quick and snappy roller coaster names, including  Taron, Helix, Raptor to name a few. Icon isn't one of these. 

The styling is fine but the name for me lacks correlation and feels like something you'd whack together for a name of projectvminutes before the deadline. Hopefully it'll still be a great ride, it'll just have a disappointing name.

28 minutes ago, Timber Creek said:

There are lots of good quick and snappy roller coaster names, including  Taron, Helix, Raptor and Shsmbhala to name a few. Icon isn't one of these. 

To be fair, Icon is a quick and snappy coaster name - Shambhalalalala is not ;)

Coaster has hit the nail on the head though - the name feels very forced.  Blackpool do have iconic rides (not necessarily in the sense that they're good, but they are well known / have stood the test of time), so it feels like they're just trying to cash in on that with "we have loads of iconic rides, but this is the ICON"

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got to go to this park the weekend just gone and I've got to say I really enjoyed it. Valhalla was incredible and really shows what a water ride should be like it definitely competes with if not bests some American water rides I've been on. I was impressed by the queue times as we were only there 3 hours and crammed in a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got up to Blackpool yesterday and I will do a blog thingy when I've recovered from getting my brain rattled around on Infusion but I have to say.....Valhalla - bloody brilliant.  Ok I've not been to a massive amount of parks and only one abroad (DLP) so I don't know what other big water rides are like but I was massively impressed - so much so that I went on it 5 times.  I'm not a fan of walking around with squishy wet feet but it is so worth it (thankfully it was lovely weather) 

• 3 weeks later...

Blackpool Pleasure Beach has once again been named as the second best amusement park in the UK by social review website TripAdvisor.

The park is also in the top 20 amusement parks in Europe, as voted for by TripAdvisor users, alongside some of the most popular amusement parks on the continent.

TripAdvisor’s Travellers’ Choice Awards saw the 42-acre park come second, for the second year running, in the list which takes into account value for money, customer experience and overall comments on its website from its millions of users. Managing director of Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Amanda Thompson, said: “We are thrilled to once again be named amongst Europe’s best amusement parks by TripAdvisor, a trusted travel site where the views of our guests count for so much.

"At Blackpool Pleasure Beach we are constantly investing to make sure that guests have a fun-filled visit and return year after year.

“Next year will see the opening of our newest ride, ICON, which will be the UK’s first ever double launch rollercoaster and represents an investment of £16.25m. 

“Blackpool Pleasure Beach prides itself on offering the best experience for a great day out and we want guests to leave here with memories that will last a lifetime.”

Travellers’ Choice awards are the highest honour TripAdvisor gives out, meaning a business is considered ‘truly exceptional’. Based on reviews and opinions from millions of travellers, Blackpool Pleasure Beach is ranked in the top one per cent of attractions.

Read more at: http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/our-region/blackpool/blackpool-pleasure-beach-makes-top-list-again-1-8625729

Well done to Pleasure Beach! :D