Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Dan_Rush

That airtime hill sure looks amazing especially if Helix is anything to go by. 

Its great to see the UK finally gaining a Mack mega especially considering it’s Blackpool’s first coaster in almost 25 years. 

I too feel saddened by the loss of the Mouse. It was an original and classic attraction in it’s own right and crazy in the best of ways. Unfortunately it was a matter of time before it went though, especially with tightening safety standards and other complications. I feel like the park had their hands tied with the closure.

It’s difficult to say what will replace the area and when.

The issue with rebuilding Wild Mouse as a steel coaster is that it would never be as good as the original.  The unrestricted airtime, out-of-control corners and general raucousness of Blackpool's are not even comparable on a steel mouse.  In addition, there are hundreds of steel mouse coasters across the world whereas BPB's was one-of-a-kind.

If it were possible to rebuild the ride to the same design as a wooden coaster, but to satisfy modern H&S standards, I'd be much more welcoming of that.  I still stand by the opinion that Blackpool are losing what sets them apart from other parks by demolishing the older rides.

I don’t think a Steel Mouse would be a good idea as many such fans would react negatively to the idea and descard it as an insulting replacement to the original.

Unless an updated wooden mouse is possible, whatever replaces the area should be fresh and new. Whether that be a family coaster, a couple of flats or even a dark ride. 

Blackpool still have a great selection of classic attractions (interweaved with their newer hardware), but unfortunately nothing is sacred forever and they don’t have swathes of financial fat like other park operators.

While I too am absolutely heartbroken by the loss of Wild Mouse (a coaster I could ride all day and reason enough to drive to Blackpool yearly), I for one completely understand the logic behind it and the way it which the park carried it out.

It should be no shock that the coaster has been on thin ice for a while, for this reason every time I visited I never took it for granted. With modern H&S requirements, the Smiler accident and increasing costs and demands for insurance for the parks, it's days were always numbered in my eyes. Clearly the addition of the magnetic braking, which I assume was a demand of the insurers, failed and the park were stuck with the choice of spending large amounts of money they don't have and possibly ruining the experience in the process, or just calling it a day. Personally I feel the park made the right choice and I'm happy to say I never had to experience a tamed down or spoiled Wild Mouse.

As for the way the park handled it's removal, here's where I'll upset you. I feel the park handled it the right way. The park don't owe anyone an announcement ahead of time. They don't owe anyone a last ride event, I'm not even sure the park were in the position to open it regardless.

Too many people are getting over emotional about this decision and hearing people say stupid stuff like, "it would have been a good year with Icon opening, but it's ruined now" really pisses me off. With things like this, it really pays off to step back, grow up and then cast judgement.

RIP Wild Mouse

Wild Mouse had indeed been on thin ice for a while, however I think the shock has come from the fact that the ride's future looked secure for the first time in years after the significant investment of the new braking system had been made and the system bedded in properly.  I do know that the heavier cars (due to the new magnetic slab on the side of them) were causing problems with the ride structure, which could be seen by huge amount of wood replacement in had during the 2017 season, and in addition the chain snaps.  I do not believe this alone would have seen the demise of the Mouse, however.

I disagree that the park handled it the right way.  It has to be remembered that Wild Mouse opened in 1958, making it both historic and something that so many people hold memories of.  I fully understand why they didn't announce it prior to demolishing the ride, however I feel that they have made a mistake in towing the corporate "it's progress, deal with it" line.  In addition, the fact that people found out for themselves (rather than the park announcing it after the demolition) is pretty shocking and in my opinion BPB are being rightfully derided for it.

I think it's unfair to dismiss these comments as stupid.  It is true that 2018 looked to be a truly outstanding year for the park, with Icon opening and no ride removals.  Now it's certainly bittersweet with us losing one of the UK's best coasters, and for some (myself included) a new coaster will not make up for this.

If the Wild Mouse was indeed closed due to H&S which is highly likely, what difference would it have made to announce it first? Whilst we can only speculate that it may not have been safe, you can nearly 100% say that they well not have been physically been able to re-open it for final rides anyway. Its really sad but I apart from images leaking of the removal it probably wasn't a easy one for the park to handle.

The fact it was SBNO since September (?) probably shows it just wasn't safe to operate anymore. It's not like EuroSat where they knew months in advance and could organise last rides, publicity and merchandise. It's a real shame it's gone and, really, Pleasure Beach should have handled the announcement much better. A properly worded statement, a nice farewell video (ala Eurosat) etc would have gone a long way for many people.

As I said in another thread: British Parks just don't seem to 'get' PR. See this as well as Alton Towers opening times debacle. It's a shambles really.

1 hour ago, Adam P said:

If the Wild Mouse was indeed closed due to H&S which is highly likely, what difference would it have made to announce it first? Whilst we can only speculate that it may not have been safe, you can nearly 100% say that they well not have been physically been able to re-open it for final rides anyway. Its really sad but I apart from images leaking of the removal it probably wasn't a easy one for the park to handle.

It would have been possible for the park to release a statement acknowledging the ride's history, maybe encouraging people to share their memories of the ride - just something that shows care rather than the soulless corporate statement they (hurriedly) released.

Of course the situation was difficult to handle, but they made the decision to demolish it and therefore should have been better prepared to make the information public.

1 hour ago, streetmagix said:

The fact it was SBNO since September (?) probably shows it just wasn't safe to operate anymore. It's not like EuroSat where they knew months in advance and could organise last rides, publicity and merchandise. It's a real shame it's gone and, really, Pleasure Beach should have handled the announcement much better. A properly worded statement, a nice farewell video (ala Eurosat) etc would have gone a long way for many people.

As I said in another thread: British Parks just don't seem to 'get' PR. See this as well as Alton Towers opening times debacle. It's a shambles really.

Agree completely with this.  It was one of the best coasters around, not to mention a piece of theme park history, and they couldn't even be bothered.  No better than Merlin.