Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Dan_Rush

5 hours ago, Mark9 said:

It's not really, a lot of its really important, significant rides are Grade 1 listed so will never leave. Wild Mouse was obviously a shame, it's never coming back though and I don't see much point holding onto that and saying it time and time again. Considering how much effort they've gone to with Icon to have it weave its way through rides like Steeplechase says to me they intend to keep them for the long term.

The other rides at BPB are Grade 2 listed, but if they want to remove them they'll most likely be able to find a way around it.

The Wild Mouse closing was a massive shame and it will be missed (myself includied), but one unfortunately has to remember the challenging industry now where liability of incidents is unfortunately much worse now.

gone are the days of guests going to first aid and getting something. Instead, more people may submit these on social media and even submit these to the press. This is unfortunately a reality we live in more-so now. 

According to others, the Wild Mouse underwent a noticeable amount of updates the closed season before last (including new breaks), yet the ride suddenly shuttered around last September. Some say the ride’s insurer pulled out and the park couldn’t find a new/affordable one. Given the maintenance achieved, it does seem very possible the Mouse’s spiting was out of the park’s choice.

Moving on, I am more excited for the opening of Icon, because it gives the park a modern thrill coaster from one of the best manufacturers out there. And considering the ride’s layout and interaction with other rides it should hopefully be something special.

The grade I status on other attractions hopefully is reassurance alone they have many years left. I would much rather they open Icon and remove the mouse than try and keep it open and become bankrupt in a couple of years. The company doesn’t have as much financial fat as others in the industry currently.

2 hours ago, Timber Creek said:

The Wild Mouse closing was a massive shame and it will be missed (myself includied), but one unfortunately has to remember the challenging industry now where liability of incidents is unfortunately much worse now.

gone are the days of guests going to first aid and getting something. Instead, more people may submit these on social media and even submit these to the press. This is unfortunately a reality we live in more-so now. 

Definitely one of the biggest factors. Times have changed and with h&s gone mad and complaints/suings taking place due to the most minor of things it certainly didn't help.

Using Pleasure Beach as an example, the documentary aired in the 90s even showed a crash and all parties involved were pretty calm and just got treated and got on with things. See below from about 16 mins in...

Using the extremely accurate method of Google Maps and a tape measure and using the best roller coaster in the World as the bench mark...

Helix first launch track - 50 metres

Helix second launch track - 70 metres

Approx distance between rear of Icon station to the beginning of the first airtime hill 100 metres.

So assuming the station and the method of getting you from dispatch to the launch is stupidly long and assuming the launch doesn't go all the way up to the entrance of the air time hill, it's easily going to have a first launch track a similar length to Helix's first launch track.

Plus much like Helix and Taron, it's the second launch that's going to really kick ass.

Can you tell I'm excited?

I'm very much expecting the launch sections on this to bite as hard as the current breed of Mack launches do, more than enough to start the magic and keep it flowing, not enough to cause nose bleeds, if you want that go on Stealth/Bullet Coaster.

1 hour ago, Mega-Lite said:

Always get excited seeing that amazing train design roll out!

Think I'm with Baron on this one, beautiful train in an interesting dress.

Let's get these beasts on track and blow the UK industry away.

It'll be equally amusing and upsetting when the GP are completely non-plussed about this...

If that pile of scrap metal that is Rita can convince people it's a good ride while the gp think Icon is not then Alton have either invented magic or are drugging guests.

Icon evidently won't have the marketing budget Alton is putting on the wickerman but I do hope that the general public see Icon for what it is and give Merlin a bit of a kick to force them away from there dull investment formula. 

3 minutes ago, J.S217 said:

When the GP ride it and realise its not as good as Stealth or Rita making all enthusiasts cry.

If you're saying the GP will think it's worse than the Intamin 2 because it's slower, you sadly might be right.

If you think it's going to be lesser than Stealth and God forbid Rita, then I'm afraid you're too far gone.

Even if the GP aren't as blown away as they should be, I would still hope it'll be more than successful for the park and validate this great investment.

I think it will have a very positive reaction by those who ride it.  But it's just a case of making sure people do ride it. 

The public reaction will always be negative online in the build up (Helix received a lukewarm reception from the masses when POVs were released), and the lack of inversions and slower speed compared to other major coasters in the country, and other popular theme parks across the world.  But when they actually ride it, they'll enjoy it, and want to do it again and again (again, as Helix shows).  

Blackpool's marketing will of course be vastly different to Merlin's too.  Merlin have told the UK audience what they want for the past ten years, to the point where that is what the public want.  Blackpool are going away from that, which could very well go against them.

Will enough people go and will word of mouth be enough to get enough people going for it?  Especially with it being so different to what the public expect.  Who knows, but it'll definitely be interesting to find out.

43 minutes ago, J.S217 said:

When the GP ride it and realise its not as good as Stealth or Rita making all enthusiasts cry.

Rita?!  Whilst I strongly believe in not overhyping Icon until I've ridden it, I struggle to see how a bland and clumsily executed figure of eight layout can be assumed to be better than a much longer and more creative coaster involving two launches, interactions with other coasters, a few inversions and what appears to be a vastly superior train design.

The point about speed is interesting, but Rita's layout is far more drawn out than Icon's so I don't really see this as an issue.  Launch speed will of course not be Icon's strong point, but with such a strong layout it doesn't need to be.

As for Stealth, it's a good ride... all 12 seconds of it.

8 minutes ago, Coaster said:

Rita?!  Whilst I strongly believe in not overhyping Icon until I've ridden it, I struggle to see how a bland and clumsily executed figure of eight layout can be assumed to be better than a muh longer coaster with an extremely creative layout involving two launches, interactions with other coasters, a few inversions and what appears to be a vastly superior train design.

The point about speed is interesting, but Rita's layout is far more drawn out than Icon's so I don't really see this as an issue.  Launch speed will of course not be Icon's strong point, but with such a strong layout it doesn't need to be.

As for Stealth, it's a good ride... all 12 seconds of it.

I think his point is more that the public are fickle:  faster = better.

I don't think it'll be that much of a problem, people will love and see it as a great coaster if that's how it is.  But it'll certainly take a lot of convincing for some people.  And even then, if people focus on the launches (which I reckon a fair few will), the quality of the rest of the ride will be a bit lost by then.  Like "Yeah, Icon was good, but Stealth is so much quicker!" and stuff like that.

Hmm, not so sure about the trains. Very odd pattern. Don't get me wrong, I like everything else about this ride so far. I'm sure I'd grow to like it in time with the ride but I would have taken advantage of Mack's other beautiful train designs. Would be nice to see some BPB branding as others mentioned. Hopefully some will be added. Anyway it's still too early to judge yet. I'll leave that until after I've been on it in person, same as SW8.

19 hours ago, BaronC. said:

I think his point is more that the public are fickle:  faster = better.

I don't think it'll be that much of a problem, people will love and see it as a great coaster if that's how it is.  But it'll certainly take a lot of convincing for some people.  And even then, if people focus on the launches (which I reckon a fair few will), the quality of the rest of the ride will be a bit lost by then.  Like "Yeah, Icon was good, but Stealth is so much quicker!" and stuff like that.

Doesn't help that Blackpool itself, is an absolute dive. I love most of the rides in the Pleasure Beach but I can't stand the place and if it wasn't for Icon I wouldn't even be considering a trip.

16 minutes ago, Mark9 said:

Doesn't help that Blackpool itself, is an absolute dive. I love most of the rides in the Pleasure Beach but I can't stand the place and if it wasn't for Icon I wouldn't even be considering a trip.

The town of Blackpool is God awful, as is the prom if you go past the Pleasure Beach bit.

The park itself always has a friendly and safe atmosphere. Thorpe Park and Alton Towers regularly have much worse on park atmosphere. I've been to some real dives and Pleasure Beach is miles from one, did you just have 1 bad experience? Also when did you last visit? My trips started in 2013 and I'm well aware Amanda has done a lot of work in recent times to sort out the nastiness.

I've visited coming up for 10 times now and have always enjoyed the feeling only that place can produce.

Given I've never been to BPB before and planning a trip hopefully this Easter when Icon opens, can someone briefly explain what they mean by there being both good and bad days? From what I'm hearing so far, this doesn't sound too dissimilar to Fright Nights some evenings in my experience which isn't good.