Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Dan_Rush

They can't destroy the others can they as they're all listed no? 

Though I wouldn't be opposed to Nash being spited for something better, it's utter back destruction these days...

Likelihood is that any next addition will go in the old place, perhaps they'll build some new flat rides instead? Besides if they destroy the Bowling/Amusements and that entire row of bits they could do some serious infrastructure upgrades...

40 minutes ago, Benin said:

They can't destroy the others can they as they're all listed no? 

Though I wouldn't be opposed to Nash being spited for something better, it's utter back destruction these days...

Likelihood is that any next addition will go in the old place, perhaps they'll build some new flat rides instead? Besides if they destroy the Bowling/Amusements and that entire row of bits they could do some serious infrastructure upgrades...

I fully anticipate that Grand National will just fall down one night and be gone the next day. Some of that timber looks ... interesting. Makes for a scary ride though! #danger

Mouse’s issues were definitely a H&S issue, as the ride was having so many safety issues. Some say the removal was largely contributed as a result of the previous insurance being revoked, and being unsuccessful in finding a new insurer.

Unfortunately we do now live in a time where Park safety is under so-much focus, especially in the U.K. especially when things can appear online in seconds and the media immediate slam the parks when things happen, even if it was not the park’s fault. 

I would love love to see the mouse area redeveloped with a completely brand atttaction in the future, along with the arcade and former Trauma building. A family coaster/dark ride and/or flats could utilise the area well.

On 5/27/2018 at 2:12 PM, Coaster said:

Icon is absolutely flying round today, just needed a few days to bed in.

It really doesn’t fly around. I love BPB. Grew up with it. Supported it from near and far and worked there over three departments. Icon for me is disappointing. It’s the UKs slowest launch coaster and feels it, and the two pops of airtime and one turn with force for me doesn’t make up for a meandering lacklustre ride with a station that reminds me of a Wetherspoons bathroom.

On 6/7/2018 at 11:11 PM, Coaster said:

Icon is great but I still haven't forgiven them for the Wild Mouse situation!  Makes me wonder, if they were to build another coaster would they use it as a smokescreen to demolish another classic?

Wild Mouse was as others have said a H&S nightmare. And if these murmurs are true about future Mack projects being booked in, I could easily see a Mack Dipper going into that and Trauma’s space. Whilst I very much doubt that a new ride will cost an old every time; they are pretty much out of space now...

56 minutes ago, Flipper said:

It really doesn’t fly around. I love BPB. Grew up with it. Supported it from near and far and worked there over three departments. Icon for me is disappointing. It’s the UKs slowest launch coaster and feels it, and the two pops of airtime and one turn with force for me doesn’t make up for a meandering lacklustre ride with a station that reminds me of a Wetherspoons bathroom.

Wild Mouse was as others have said a H&S nightmare. And if these murmurs are true about future Mack projects being booked in, I could easily see a Mack Dipper going into that and Trauma’s space. Whilst I very much doubt that a new ride will cost an old every time; they are pretty much out of space now...

Sadly only a H&S nightmare due to guest actions, a shame we will never be able to experience such an amazing coaster again because of people who cannot behave themselves on coasters.

I think at this point there is no point in constantly living in the past- Wild Mouse was a great ride, but its gone. BPB didn't handle it that well, but its gone, we have just got a top tier looking Mack so I guess I can't complain.

2 hours ago, Flipper said:

I think I'd rather have what you just described above the other UK launch coasters.. Rita smashes your neck and skull in and Stealth is a one trick pony.

I'd rather a spread out fairly slow launch like Blue Fire/Icon that a concussion (Rita) or a few seconds of fun (Stealth).

Each to their own though. And I can imagine the theming is being beyond hilarious.. This is BPB after all..

We live in a world where launch coasters have always been about reaching top speeds quickly. Icon is the first that I’ve seen which doesn’t rely on the speed element and I personally prefer this kind of rollercoaster. Mack have built exactly what Blackpool asked for.

The lack of second launch sex noise (as per Taron) is the most disappointing part...

There's about 4 real pops of airtime in it, it's not the best Mack Mega (it's about on par with Alpina Blitz for me) but it's something that the UK has been begging for... It's deliciously re-rideable and they've done a good job with the layout given the unique restrictions at Blackpool...

People need to get over Wild Mouse being spited though... It's sad that it went, but look at it from the operational stand point of people being hurt on rides in a post Smiler world... Hell when Dipper derailed the years ago the papers were desperate to hear of injuries and didn't really care when there weren't any...

I would also love to know who deemed the selling point of Icon as the UK’s first double launch when Blackpool’s own website highlights the Revolution as launching twice...

* Credit to Ryan Nixon and his podcast for highlighting the Rev webpage for the clarification on that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Visited the Pleasure Beach for the first time since 2010 last week, I absolutely loved Icon. We left it until later in the day to whore it and were all blown away! It's not intense but it's so much fun. I giggled the whole way through, especially exiting the top hat, zero-g and immelmann, it was like the ride was trying to throw me out and kill me and I loved it! The UK needs more solid coasters like this. 

I'm hoping to get back to Blackpool soon. Even by British Seaside/Northern standards it's run down and the people are rough as anything but it's such a fun, welcoming place!   

Went to Blackpool with the TPM lot and here’s the key things I got from my visit:

• Admissions staff friendly and efficient 
  • Most ride operations either good or excellent 
  • Ride staff seemed noticeably more friendly and efficient than last time (except Nash)
  • Several vehicles on everything except Grand National, Streak and Flyer (the latters excusable)
  • Grand National staff were awful, they only ran a train each side and then suddenly made everyone leave the queue without an explainable reason 
  • Big Dipper felt noticeably rougher however Infusion wasn’t as bad
  • Big One felt very painful and somewhat less enjoyable this time, to the point I was happy to get off the ride 
  • Valhalla was still mightily impressive despite some effects being broken, 
  • Alice and Caves were in an adequate state for classic dark rides, but not sure I’m keen on the green LEDS for the Cheshire Cat
  • The revamped Coasters looks a lot more classy, modern and bigger than the original. My Quesadillas were delicious although the Mac N Cheese others got was less acceptable. Do miss the Disney music though. 
  • Seeing the empty space of Mouse was saddening but the area didn’t look as lifeless as expected 
  • Oh and they’ve also opened some new ride. They call it Icon.

56A6ADBE-CDD4-4876-AB00-295EE11E1401.thumb.jpeg.6b4a734bd1e60ac3d81af07b1107b71c.jpeg5216DB7F-CEB5-4C7B-849F-8B87401287AE.thumb.jpeg.a7e716e516c839f5b3435ec41242dbd1.jpegCFD6921A-F626-49CC-9777-649F4194C9B5.thumb.jpeg.dd7b56509b06bd870a84890d8682a252.jpegE3341B61-5BF7-4701-A584-C0D81ED52CF1.thumb.jpeg.e47e94ff244f63d6e3e68f84cdbdfa22.jpeg07CCDCCF-7347-44E5-AFBA-CEA43E413395.thumb.jpeg.bb6032f7d10ab0ff43643e0db196f668.jpeg

Despite the mixed reviews coming across I actually strongly enjoyed this coaster a lot more than I expected and am proud to call it my second favourite U.K. coaster.

It doesn’t beat Helix but is higher than Blue Fire (as far as layout is concerned). Regardless though, I’m very happy the UK now has a ride like this and I hope it only brings greater things to the Macks and Thompson’s. 

Really enjoyed Blackpool, Icon was alot better than I was expecting after the many mixed reviews I had read, really quite enjoyed it, thought it rode best at the back personally.

Rest of the park was looking good and running well, do miss Wild Mouse though!

If they make that call early enough in the day and advertise it appropriately to everyone there, I don't see an issue with it.

If the weather is terrible, there's so few people there and they're not making any money, why should they stay open for so long? It won't exactly benefit the people who are there (at best, staying open till late on a wet, windy, stormy evening will give a few extra rerides, but not much else), and it'll help the park in terms of staff morale and budgets.

Plenty of small parks across the world will close earlier than advertised if the numbers aren't there, especially if it's because of the weather. Blackpool are a small park so aren't going to be any different.

I do agree that they should change the wording on their website though if they are still saying 'earliest possible closing time' or whatever it was.

It's no good for people who travel a long way to visit and base their visits from the opening hours; for example, I travel hours to visit so will choose times where the opening hours are more appealing.  To lose 2 hours ride time with nothing offered in return is, for me, a complete no-go.

Regarding staff, I hardly think that losing 2 hour's wages will improve morale - quite the opposite in fact.

I've never known any other UK park operate like this.

Presumably the park will take the decision to close 2 hours early because those extra 2 hours don't particularly add anything extra. Of course, longer on park is always a good thing, but sometimes it isn't necessary. It's something the park has to consider on a case by case basis.

For staff, look at it from a different perspective. What is more preferably - spending two hours in the rain, entertaining very few guests for minimum wage, or having a couple of hours extra to relax on a Sunday evening? It can be very demoralising doing a minimum wage job in poor weather for very few people. It's not always as black and white as 'it means you're getting paid, don't moan'.

I can see both sides too it really, certainly as a guest to close the entire park 2 hours earlier than advertised is quite poor, but at the same time for a park which in recent times has struggled to turn a profit staying open running at a loss probably isn’t the best thing for them to do.

I think the biggest problem is the wording on their site, you shouldn’t advertise a “minimum ride close” and close earlier than that, especially 2 hours, which lets face it is a fairly significant amount of time.

1 hour ago, ChiapasC. said:

Presumably the park will take the decision to close 2 hours early because those extra 2 hours don't particularly add anything extra. Of course, longer on park is always a good thing, but sometimes it isn't necessary. It's something the park has to consider on a case by case basis.

For staff, look at it from a different perspective. What is more preferably - spending two hours in the rain, entertaining very few guests for minimum wage, or having a couple of hours extra to relax on a Sunday evening? It can be very demoralising doing a minimum wage job in poor weather for very few people. It's not always as black and white as 'it means you're getting paid, don't moan'.

Having been made aware from someone who was on park today, they were running Icon on one train until the afternoon and the queue had by this point reached the entrance (meaning it would have taken about two hours).  In addition to this, The Big One has been closed all weekend due to high winds.

So, knowing already that their flagship ride was down, they run the new ride on one train and close two hours early?  It amazes me that people are happy to defend BPB when they're shafting their guests like that.  They should be going out of their way to provide good service this year with a new coaster open, but it's been a disaster in every sense.