Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Dan_Rush

Yeah, in the same way the preemptive Merlin bashing is often bemoaned as unfair when it's grounded in plenty of history and basically always proves right, the big Mack love is well placed knowing what Mack do.

If they're knocking up a massive multi launcher there's no reason to think this will be anything but fantastic. 

Wow, this looks fantastic!

The layout looks phenomenal, especially the interaction with other rides - that turn over the Big Dipper at the end especially!  I also like how it will be visible from many areas of the park.

The only thing I'm not sold on is the maximum speed, which is around 50 mph - it seems relatively slow for a launch coaster, so will it have the thrill factor?  I'm also not a fan of the colours, however I believe that is not yet confirmed.

I'm incredibly excited for this, the fact that a coaster on this scale is coming to the UK is fantastic, and it should well and truly put BPB back on the map.

The park have added a construction 2018 section to their website which includes some facts about the ride; https://www.blackpoolpleasurebeach.com/construction/#usermessage22a

The only problem  I have seen is theming, now I know it's completely undecided but I have always been a fan of telling a story whilst on the ride. I'll try to explain what I mean. Long and short of it, there needs to be near misses but can't see how they will be doing that. BPB are not amazing renowned for theming there coasters, they are not a theme park in my eyes really... But I'm happy to be proved wrong

41 minutes ago, KingNemesis said:

The only problem  I have seen is theming, now I know it's completely undecided but I have always been a fan of telling a story whilst on the ride. I'll try to explain what I mean. Long and short of it, there needs to be near misses but can't see how they will be doing that. BPB are not amazing renowned for theming there coasters, they are not a theme park in my eyes really... But I'm happy to be proved wrong

It's called a "Pleasure Beach" which, as you indicate, is not a theme park. The physical position of BPB is restricted, but is arguably the best seaside park in the UK. The attendance of the public at BPB does not need to be attracted by theming but by new items which may differ from their present items. 

11 minutes ago, planenut said:

It's called a "Pleasure Beach" which, as you indicate, is not a theme park. The physical position of BPB is restricted, but is arguably the best seaside park in the UK. The attendance of the public at BPB does not need to be attracted by theming but by new items which may differ from their present items. 

I know all of that, but these roller coasters (arguably all) work a lot better ducking and diving around theming items and near misses. Especially during a mack coasters lovely bank left to bank right transitions, work brilliantly if you are dodging and diving around, my favorite element on a ride is cheetah hunt (I know it's Intamin) but this section just feels right weaving around the rocks! I am a big fan that ride elements need to fit and have some purpose, unlike something like say, The Smiler.

Image result for cheetah hunt river

11 minutes ago, KingNemesis said:

I know all of that, but these roller coasters (arguably all) work a lot better ducking and diving around theming items and near misses. Especially during a mack coasters lovely bank left to bank right transitions, work brilliantly if you are dodging and diving around, my favorite element on a ride is cheetah hunt (I know it's Intamin) but this section just feels right weaving around the rocks! I am a big fan that ride elements need to fit and have some purpose, unlike something like say, The Smiler.

I do love that section on Cheetah Hunt.

The location for the BPB item was mapped out when I visited in April. The pillar locations and the launch site (at least one) were marked out too. There is nothing in that concrete bunker which was water filled, so that may be part of it. They are limited by the existing items around which this will run. They cannot separate the ride and area so theming is limited.

4 minutes ago, planenut said:

I do love that section on Cheetah Hunt.

The location for the BPB item was mapped out when I visited in April. The pillar locations and the launch site (at least one) were marked out too. There is nothing in that concrete bunker which was water filled, so that may be part of it. They are limited by the existing items around which this will run. They cannot separate the ride and area so theming is limited.

It's hard to tell at the moment, hence why I said that I understand it's probably undecided / not completely confirmed hence why it was excluded out of the POV

1 hour ago, KingNemesis said:

There will be plenty of near misses with other coasters at the park; Park World Magazine announced yesterday that "it will interact 15 times with other Pleasure Beach coasters."

Very excited by this now, loving those tight Helix turns. Certainly looks amazing and definitely the best new ride in the UK for a while. 

Definitely some Helix and Taron elements in there as already mentioned. Whilst theming may be difficult, hopefully some creative styling and the ride will be perfect. 

Pleasure Beach are clearly onto a winner here.

I quite like the way it's not inversion focused. Personally I feel inversions add very little to the ride and I would much prefer tight corners and airtime. 

To be honest I think the ride would be better without a theme and trying to tell a story. Id much prefer well done generic than half done theme.

My only concern is the hype train may raise it to levels it can never reach. 

I think it will be fine to over-hype this personally. I'm allowing myself that pleasure as Helix and Blue Fire (and Taron although of course an Intamin) are excellent rides, I've heard the same of Alpine Blitz. With the level of quality that Mack products contain, I have no doubts here. I'm excited. :yahoo:

1 hour ago, Mark9 said:

I think it will be fine to over-hype this personally. I'm allowing myself that pleasure as Helix and Blue Fire (and Taron although of course an Intamin) are excellent rides, I've heard the same of Alpine Blitz. With the level of quality that Mack products contain, I have no doubts here. I'm excited. :yahoo:

Hear hear. I have every faith this will be fantastic, and I hope it'll be a complete success for Blackpool.

6 hours ago, Coaster Jamie said:

The only thing I'm not sold on is the maximum speed, which is around 50 mph - it seems relatively slow for a launch coaster, so will it have the thrill factor?

On the Mack front, Alpina Blitz and Storm both have similar max speeds, and neither have a shortage of thrills. And Juvelen at Djurs is a comparable launcher at 52mph, and again is a pleasure to ride (and re-ride...).

It's a solid investment, with no gimmicks, from a class manufacturer. And over a third longer than even the longest coaster at Thorpe.

Can't wait.

Words can't explain how excited I am! I both hope and expect this to be one of the greats, Mack are bound to deliver a high quality experience, as they regularly do.
No gimmicks! Just a seemingly fun and intense ride. God, this has made my year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, 'Airtime Falcon' said:

I'm just glad the UK will finally be getting a decent coaster after 5 years!

Hallelujah! It's over 1000m long! (1140m)

A British coaster will actually be long for once! (As well as actually being a great ride)

Eh, I'll be satisfied when we get a Mack Mega that's heavilly themed and or has a story.

Saying that, who knows if this is the case with this one? Brilliant move from BPB! :)

4 hours ago, Kerfuffle said:

Eh, I'll be satisfied when we get a Mack Mega that's heavilly themed and or has a story.

That will be a long wait then. The closest we've got so far is either Blue Fire at Europa or at a push Manta at Sea World. The UK will probably never get a well themed, story based Mack Mega. Blackpool doesn't need a story for this ride, it just needs to be good which I have no doubt that it will be.