Dan_Rush

Blackpool Pleasure Beach

1047 posts in this topic

The park hate my opinion about the name being awful so I have been banned from commenting and all my posts have been taken down...

18 minutes ago, Marc said:

They banned you from their Facebook for commenting on the name? What did you say?!

Awful awful name

I would have preferred "The Grey One". You could easily do a pr stunt about it being spelt gray to keep the Americans happy :)

3 hours ago, ThemeParkCrafter said:

The park hate my opinion about the name being awful so I have been banned from commenting and all my posts have been taken down...

Seriously?  That's shocking!

The park haven't even bothered to at least pm me, just made it impossible for me to write my own personal opinion, and made my previous posts all disappear. It's not my fault it has an awful name, in my opinion, so the park shouldn't try to hide my negative opinion!

To be honest, I think that the name "Icon" is actually quite catchy and I personally think that the name works quite well with the nature of the coaster. 

What I don't understand though is the theme, it's just weird and it's actually hard to tell what they're going for considering the fact they've put a Japanese symbol in the middle of the logo. Apparently the Japenese symbol in the letter O means "speed" but that just raises more questions than it answers...

78km/h!? That's literally 48mph... I honestly don't think I've ever seen a launch coaster slower than it. And seeing as the whole coaster is being marketed for its "speed" and "raw power"(as it says in the article), I would have though that the launches might be at least a bit pacier?

Anyway to summarise, I like the layout, I prefer the colour scheme(now that it's not bright green anymore), I quite like the name(but I think the theme is a bit random to say the least) and I just hope that video is incorrect as if this coaster gets a bit speedier, I think that it could really be good fun to ride. Will certainly be one of the top coasters in the UK if they pull it all together nicely(and they are working with Mack so I'm pretty certain that this will turn out well).

1 hour ago, TPJames said:

What I don't understand though is the theme, it's just weird and it's actually hard to tell what they're going for considering the fact they've put a Japanese symbol in the middle of the logo. Apparently the Japenese symbol in the letter O means "speed" but that just raises more questions than it answers...

Yeah. After some prodding I discovered that the symbol (called 'Haya' in Japanese) translates to fast.

I hate to say this but I'm not a fan of the name, it sounds like it's for a new corporate building not a roller coaster, and doesn't really make sense as things become "icons" over time rather than when they're new IMO.  In a park which already has so many iconic rides this feels a bit forced, and it doesn't really do the low-to-ground layout of the ride justice.

With that said, maybe the name will grow on me over time.  However, "dare to ride" is frankly the laziest slogan I have ever seen.

I like the logo however in my opinion it looks too busy, with "dare to ride" encroaching on the "ICON" letters and spoiling the effect.

All that said, I'm very thankful it's not an IP, and as said above hopefully the name will grow on me.  I'm still extremely excited for this! :D

Whilst I'm highly excited for this coaster, I must admit the name is something of a let down really.

There are lots of good quick and snappy roller coaster names, including  Taron, Helix, Raptor to name a few. Icon isn't one of these. 

The styling is fine but the name for me lacks correlation and feels like something you'd whack together for a name of projectvminutes before the deadline. Hopefully it'll still be a great ride, it'll just have a disappointing name.

28 minutes ago, Timber Creek said:

There are lots of good quick and snappy roller coaster names, including  Taron, Helix, Raptor and Shsmbhala to name a few. Icon isn't one of these. 

To be fair, Icon is a quick and snappy coaster name - Shambhalalalala is not ;)

Coaster has hit the nail on the head though - the name feels very forced.  Blackpool do have iconic rides (not necessarily in the sense that they're good, but they are well known / have stood the test of time), so it feels like they're just trying to cash in on that with "we have loads of iconic rides, but this is the ICON"

Thing is, it'll NEVER be the icon ride of the park, that's the Big One and probably will be for years to come...

Where's the fountain going?

I finally got to go to this park the weekend just gone and I've got to say I really enjoyed it. Valhalla was incredible and really shows what a water ride should be like it definitely competes with if not bests some American water rides I've been on. I was impressed by the queue times as we were only there 3 hours and crammed in a lot.

Coaster, pluk and TPJames like this

Icon construction update from this weekend just gone;

Tunnel for launches 1 & 2;

Turf going down;

Banners & Merchandise;

Mattgwise likes this

I agree that the name is a bit naff but I remember people saying the same about The Smiler.  Guess it's something that you just get used to - was wondering if ICON actually stands for something? 🤔

I was surprised by the name as it will always be overshadowed by the Big One. However,  Stealth is the most unstealthy thing at any park.