Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Dan_Rush

Was it true Bling went as it was not that reliable ?

Bling has gone, yes. It got removed earlier this month. I don't think it was down to reliability though; although it was one of the worst for reliability on park, but the maintenance cost on the ride was extortionate.But yeah, it has gone. To be replaced by a Starbucks coffee outlet I believe.

Bling has gone, yes. It got removed earlier this month. I don't think it was down to reliability though; although it was one of the worst for reliability on park, but the maintenance cost on the ride was extortionate.But yeah, it has gone. To be replaced by a Starbucks coffee outlet I believe.

Finally a reason to return. :P

• 1 month later...

Here's an update folks so far for 2012 season:The Revolution is currently been sandblasted back to the original steel work and repainted...The project on the 1979 coaster is costing Pleasure Beach 500kArtist ImpressionPosted ImagePosted ImageOngoing Work-Expected to reopen by JunePosted ImagePosted ImageValhalla-Frontage has been redone and new effectsPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageUpdate from Sunday 18th MarchPosted ImagePosted ImageThere we go folks...Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...

I'm up at Blackpool until Friday, and visited the park for about an hour today, seeing as it was almost a 4 hour drive up here we're planning on spending a full day at the Pleasure Beach on Wednesday, and I will be returning again on friday. Today, as I knew I didn't have long on park I just gained entry with a special deal which costs £10, giving you entry to the park with a Pleasure Beach Pass which has some rides and attractions valid on it, and with this deal you get a token to use on 1 ride of your choice. Seeing as this was my first visit to PBB I went for the Big One.The Pleasure Beach was VERY quiet today, so quiet that The Big One was running one train, and only had approximately a 2-train wait which worked out to be around 5 mins waiting time. So... The air gates open and you take your seat, fasten your seat belt and pull down the lap bar. The lap bars are really tiny, and don't come down right onto your body, there was about a 5-10cm gap between my waist and the lap bar, which could be beneficial IF the ride had any airtime. On the way up the lift the trains feel nice and exposed, the floor isn't recessed, so you feel pretty open to the elements. The ride has a nice height... And the first drop has some spots of roughness, this is the good part of the ride (the drop, not the roughness) :wub: The 'airtime hills' which follow have no airtime at all in the middle of the train at least. The roughness isn't major, it's just your typical Arrow rattle. The MCBR shaved a little speed off the train, and the helixes after this were pretty fun.Overall I rate The Big One with 4/10. The coaster could have had potential if those hills weren't as high following the lift. I like the ride, I didn't find it thrilling but it is an "ok" ride. I look forward to riding it in the front row to see if it's any different. ;)(sorry no pictures just yet as I typed this up on my iPhone, I will do a full PTR of Wednesday and Friday's next Saturday.) :D

The Pleasure Beach was VERY quiet today, so quiet that The Big One was running one train, and only had approximately a 2-train wait which worked out to be around 5 mins waiting time.

And then there's Thorpe which hit just short of 10,000 as I heard it today (in contrast, a lot) :wub:

• 4 weeks later...

So Pleasure Beach are attempting to break another world record of the longest time spent riding a roller coaster... I can safely say that I really would NOT enjoy riding The Big One for the proposed amount of time shown in the quote below, I would feel especially sorry for this man if he has to ride it in the back seat at any time during the record attempt... :blink:

Pleasure Beach, Blackpool will be the setting for an epic marathon attempt this summer as American roller coaster enthusiast Richard Rodriguez aims to beat a world record.

The 54-year-old will be strapping himself into the Big One at Britain’s favourite tourist attraction from May 31 and riding over the summer months.

Richard wants to break the current Guinness World Record of 103 days roller coaster riding by riding the attraction’s tallest and fastest coaster daily.

And now he intends to go even further, describing this as his final marathon at Pleasure Beach, by riding the Big One from the end of May throughout the summer months until mid-September.

This feat of endurance will test Richard’s limits with the Big One reaching a height of 235ft and reaching speeds of up to 85mph through twists and turns around the whole of Pleasure Beach’s 42 acres.

Guests visiting Pleasure Beach from May 31 are invited to ride with Richard while he takes part in his record attempt.

Richard was at a special “training session” this week at Pleasure Beach preparing for the event launch next month.

He said: “This is a challenge of epic proportions and I cannot wait to get going on the Big One.

“I have a long association with Pleasure Beach and have always enjoyed taking part in various challenges over the years but this one really will test me to the limits of endurance.

“This week has been great training on the roller coaster and I am looking forward to the marathon starting properly on May 31.”

Deputy Managing Director of Pleasure Beach Nick Thompson said: “It’s always great to welcome Richard back to Pleasure Beach as his world record attempts have always attracted a lot of attention.

“This will no doubt be another epic event for Richard and I would like to wish him luck in his attempt to break the current world record.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ridiculous decision if true. Wild Mouse is a bona fide classic, part of the rich tapestry of the Pleasure Beach. What precedent would this start if Wild Mouse got removed. Would Wind Machines be removed by a Star Flyer, would an Rita clone be thrown at the space that Grand National currently sits in.

Really hope this rumour is untrue.

They have got to stop taking out rides. Whip, turtle chase, Bling, Log Flume, Space Invaders, Swamp Buggies. There is enough empty space for new attractions so that can't be the problem. Perhaps H&S reasons or the upkeep costs. Whatever the case, I hope these rumours are false.

Regarding the Mouse, it is like Thorpe Park getting rid of Nemesis Inferno or Colossus. The mouse is a classic and should be treated and preserved like one.

I have posted the same feelings elsewhere - this would be terrible news.

From a personal point of view, Mouse is one of the few genuine reasons to go to the Pleasure Beach. I don't know many people who go for their steel coasters because, aside from Avalanche, there are far better examples of similar rides elsewhere. However, with the wooden coasters, even though modern woodies are superb, there's nothing quite like the sensation of riding the Mouse, or National. Indeed, these two rides, along with Valhalla, are probably the stand out physical rides in the whole park.

Hmmm, I might invest into mob supplies in case this comes to fruition, easy money...

But seriously, I would hate this to happen, Mouse is easily the best ride at the park, and is one of the most uniquely terrifying experiences in the country... A sad day indeed, and I sense that Amada would return to her original figure of hatred/displeasure...

Blackpool have a happy niche in nostalgic/classic stuff, why keeping everything is unlikely to be a great idea business wise, Mouse surely isn't something that would be so far down the list of saving...