Jump to content
Dan_Rush

Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Marhelorpe said:

Once Icon gave up, we quite literally had nothing!

Just to clarify, once Icon broke down for the day there was zero rides open?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay Icon is their new ride but there is 9 other coasters at the park and a good supporting lineup, there is other things to do at the park.

If Icon was shut I would just lap Big Dipper and Revolution. Sure Icon probably is the best ride there but technical issues happen.

Technical issues on rides happens at every park. Well, bar Europa.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoshuaA said:

Okay Icon is their new ride but there is 9 other coasters at the park and a good supporting lineup, there is other things to do at the park.

If Icon was shut I would just lap Big Dipper and Revolution. Sure Icon probably is the best ride there but technical issues happen.

Technical issues on rides happens at every park. Well, bar Europa.

 

Icon being closed was, from what I've seen and been told, the tip of the iceberg.

 

Coasters and flats/other rides were going down left right and centre, the only coaster on full capacity was Dipper, catering sounds like it was a nightmare and a staff member in a managerial position was heard telling guests to "deal with it" and calling them "tits" due to them complaining about being evacuated out of Icon's queue, just after it had opened (mid afternoon!)

 

It sounds like one of the worst weekends in the park's history, and due to many more factors than just Icon being down for the majority of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like BPB isn't fully ready yet but it's good there was a big crowd willing to visit at this time of year. I didn't like the way BPB dealt with breakdowns when I visited last year though. They're going to have to change their attitude in that regard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Stuntman707 said:

 it's good there was a big crowd willing to visit at this time of year.

Fanboys will literally go on Christmas Day if they had the chance. Ratio of fanboys vs actual normal guests would be 100:1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m one of the few enthusiasts whom didn’t visit this weekend. I was debating the Sunday and decided not to after the Saturday reviews.

 

As others have said the park is a total mess. Being from Blackpool, I’ve seen and heard legitimate people being turned down for work this year, even with theme park experience and having worked for the park previously; yet I also have a friend who finished around May last year who got phoned on Thursday asking if he’d like to work for them again as ‘they are short’. Allegedly certain rides (Skyforce for example) didn’t open simply due to lack of staff although this is just a murmur.

 

The Park had it right years ago when it was half a park running into November, and the opposite running in February; but now with more rides (Icon, Skyforce etc) alongside the woodie’s requiring the strong maintenance the park is just pushing itself too far. Allegedly PMBO was handed back for testing and training less than a week before reopening; and it was merely the end of January when PMBO and Revolution trains were seen in pieces in the North car park - they’ve ran on far too tight timeframes this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flipper said:

I’m one of the few enthusiasts whom didn’t visit this weekend. I was debating the Sunday and decided not to after the Saturday reviews.

 

As others have said the park is a total mess. Being from Blackpool, I’ve seen and heard legitimate people being turned down for work this year, even with theme park experience and having worked for the park previously; yet I also have a friend who finished around May last year who got phoned on Thursday asking if he’d like to work for them again as ‘they are short’. Allegedly certain rides (Skyforce for example) didn’t open simply due to lack of staff although this is just a murmur.

 

The Park had it right years ago when it was half a park running into November, and the opposite running in February; but now with more rides (Icon, Skyforce etc) alongside the woodie’s requiring the strong maintenance the park is just pushing itself too far. Allegedly PMBO was handed back for testing and training less than a week before reopening; and it was merely the end of January when PMBO and Revolution trains were seen in pieces in the North car park - they’ve ran on far too tight timeframes this year.

One of the biggest issues with ride operations is that they've lost virtually all the experienced staff who had been at the park for years, mainly due to awful, awful management who treat both their staff and guests with disdain.

 

The Big One for example, a very complex ride to run and with no-one there who knows what they're doing now it's a complete shambles.  Compare that to three/four years ago when they'd have it running two trains in 40 mph winds because they knew exactly what the operating limits and optimum wind directions were!

 

The second issue is the engineering department, the team themselves are fantastic and dedicated people but when their hours are being cut a week before opening when the park is nowhere near ready, their job becomes impossible.  Good old Amanda eh?

 

The staffing at the park is an absolute mess and turning away staff with experience whilst keeping certain members of management on is, quite simply, lunacy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Coaster said:

One of the biggest issues with ride operations is that they've lost virtually all the experienced staff who had been at the park for years, mainly due to awful, awful management who treat both their staff and guests with disdain.

I can’t comment; a lot of their reasoning on rejections amongst what I’ve heard have been that they’ve allegedly got a “high rate of returners” - which we all know isn’t the case. That said, I know Revolution for example is the same ride team as the last few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Flipper said:

I can’t comment; a lot of their reasoning on rejections amongst what I’ve heard have been that they’ve allegedly got a “high rate of returners” - which we all know isn’t the case. That said, I know Revolution for example is the same ride team as the last few years.

The Big One is one of the worst, it's lost all its team from two/three years ago and the operations have plummeted to absolutely unbelievable low standards as a result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's excellent to hear that the park appear to have improved since last weekend.

 

In my opinion, there is one key issue with PB that needs resolving now.

 

Speedy Pass needs to be removed from PMBO, it's absolutely ludicrous that PB have allowed it to drag the throughput of their signature ride down for so long, on 2 trains without stacking it can shift a queue well but once you factor in an additional 2 minutes to load Speedy Pass holders and stacking on the brake run it becomes a complete farce.

 

Instead of being able to open the airgates as people start to leave the train, therefore being able to fill and check a train in a minute, they have to wait until everyone has passed the exit rope (30 - 45 seconds), then scan and load the speedy pass holders (I've seen this take over 2 minutes but I'd suggest on average it probably takes 60 seconds), then open the airgates and load the rest of the train from the main queue (another 60 seconds), then get onto the belt checks.  By this point the second train will have got back, stacked and the riders probably fallen asleep waiting.

 

This has been an issue for years now and I've never seen other parks allow their fast pass system to jeapordise the physical operations of their coasters to such an extent, it's insane that it's allowed to happen at PB to be frank.  They either need to adjust the station to run the system properly or scrap it from the ride, IMO.  Footage on Saturday showed the queue past the cans (outside the extension), yet they allow the operations to be dragged down by a fast pass system?

 

Avalanche is much the same, though arguably even worse considering the ride already has a low throughput on 2 trains even when it doesn't stack.

 

The park could choose not to run Speedy Pass on these rides and improve guest experience for everyone.  Instead they prioritise short-term money and allow their main queues to become unbearable.  They simply do not care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing people moaning about lots of closed rides at Chessie due to high winds when Blackpool only had 3 rides down all day (Big One, Flying Machines & Ice Blast) is fairly amusing...

 

Icon in the hail is not fun though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...