The Zoo

• 11 months later...

Chessington & Zoo has submitted planning permission for a safari trail animal house, paddock. This is part of a phase II development, and I wonder if there might be a phase III or IV??http://maps.kingston.gov.uk/isis_main/Planning/Planning_DETAIL.aspx?strCASENO=0910227&strHeader=Y

Chessington & Zoo has submitted planning permission for a safari trail animal house, paddock. This is part of a phase II development, and I wonder if there might be a phase III or IV??http://maps.kingston.gov.uk/isis_main/Planning/Planning_DETAIL.aspx?strCASENO=0910227&strHeader=Y

I wonder if this will be a new development for 2011, or maybe 2010!Thank you for the link Will :lol:

...but some of it is looking very tired and the animals deserve better enclosures.Posted Image

I agree with that completely Sheepie.I feel so sorry for the lions and tigers when I see them on Safari Skyway.They always look bored and are always sleeping.It would be nice to give them a bigger enclosure in the future and definately some more entertainment so the brain is still being stimulated.

I didn't realise the scale of this Safari Trail!22 acres is a big area, space I didn't know Chessington had free!Nevertheless it's exciting, and I hope it develops into an attraction like Kilamanjaro Safari at Walt Disney World's Animal Kingdom.Would really help combine the Park and Zoo together in my opinion :lol:

Difference between a Safari Trail and more rides is, a Safari Trail is going to be pretty quiet, and seeing as Chessington's residents hate noise ( In particular Vampire) I doubt any attractions in the space where this area is planned would be accepted. Although, this space may be the opposite side of the residential area, which would be great, opening up a big space for more attractions.

As James stated, Unfortunately the parks fellow neighbours aren't a big lover of noise, despite living by a theme park.I mean, why choose to live near a theme park then if you don't want noise? (Good old Vampire for winding them up. Yet another reason to love it! :D)Anyways...I agree fully with the idea of an attraction like Kilamanjaro Safari. I personally found this to be great when I rode on it for animal and human interaction.Even though the park has Safari Skyway, which is amazing; They could also add an attraction that is especially designed to go very close to the animals. (E.g. Tram, Monorail, Train etc...)As long as it is reletively noise free, then it should be a great addition, with hopefully limited complaints from neighbours! :DAlso, it would be nice to see a bit more theming going on as, I think we can all agree, it isn't exactly spot on perfect.

Pure guesswork obviously, but I'm thinking the safari trail will take over from Skyway once it's finished serving its time at the park. It was one of the original rides at the park in the 80s, and it's becoming ever more expensive to maintain.I'd be surprised if Skyway was still here when the Trail opens.

• 3 months later...

[so with the awesome looking African Savannah experience opening soon and well under construction, I was wondering where the planning application for that was? Haven't seen anything, which is a shame.Looks like a fantastic addition to push the park forward again.

^They really did sneak it through because apart from the hints given to Coasterforce we didn't know anything until they put the advertising up...Maybe it was easier for them to push through because it was animal based and didn't require much in the way of building a massive structure (although the building next to Creature Features looks big), so there was minimal opposition against it or less time was needed for the council to decide...Either way, this area will be a work in progress for the next several years... Let's hope the zoo will follow the high standards given by Wild Asia and expand greatly...

I personally believed it was poor speech on the map when I first read it, if that is the case, they will realise after just a few weeks of opening that people will be annoyed about that and barely anyone will actually end up enjoying it.I can't see why it would be exclusive for Hotel Guests as isn't it just a walk through? What would anyone really gain by it being only for Hotel Guests?

Indeed, it appears that guests will be able to walk from the zoo across and into the large wooden hut in the center of the site. The view is great from the hotel too and a cleaver trick of the eye, as the site is on a hill, the bottom of which is a ditch to keep the animals in, although looking at it, it looks like a free roaming field. Very nice.So JoshC. wrong I'm afraid, both 'adventurers' in the park and hotel guests will be able to enjoy it.

• 3 years later...

As posted by Chessington Buzz work has started destroying developing yet another part of the park. The Monkey and Bird Gardens are no more...

661733ba20b76682a78ae3085e5c72f8_f349.pn

Apparently being developed along with an expansion to the hotel, not sure how that all fits together. Nice to the zoo still getting attention now they have had to put some effort into fixing the ride side of the park too.