Random

Phill

Well I know CPR, defibrillator use and basic first aid from my National Pool Lifeguard Qualification so I feel pretty prepared in an emergency.

Thanks for the info, I'll do it if I'm offered but we'll see if they actually want me to do it though! Last I heard they were looking for me to sign a document saying I won't leave for X months after being given the training. Going to uni in september and not telling them awkness.

• 2 weeks later...

Walked past a bloke on Putney Bridge this morning, he got up onto the side of the bridge, didn't even think to go and pull him down and he jumped. Didn't know my face made such an impact on people!

Not sure if he was escaping police or just fancied a swim, I decided it was best to carry on into work and not get involved, was pretty much sod all I could do about it.

Odd Morning!

I've been a qualified First Aider at work now for 5 years and it's come in very handy, getting jobs when I've lost some.

I remember when I once worked at Marks & Spencer I signed up to the course they would pay for as it'll mean I would of got another £0.20 per hour and for a 17/18 year old still in college that was a big deal!

However when I first signed up I was expecting to deal with the odd kid who scraped his knee or the old lady who might faint in the heat, just little minor things you can deal with easily - however my first ever situation was quite horrific.

I remember the date quite well as I passed on Valentines Day in 07 and was on duty the following day. It just so happened my first call out was someone who had jumped 3 floors in the shopping mall in Bromley and landed outside our store. The guy nearly fell on top of a pregnant lady and her baby after having an argument with his girlfriend and mum after phoning them suggesting what he was going to do. Never seen so much blood, all his bones were broken so couldn't move him - luckily the Glades had an air tank to help him breathe as the broken ribs had punctured his lungs. There wasn't much you could do really but put foil on top of him to keep him warm waiting for the air ambulance as he turned blue.

The thing that got me however and I still have a vivid image of this in my head is when he got carried out on a stretcher and bits of his brain fell out. Albeit to say he died later that night in hospital - surprised tbh he survived that long, so my first ever casualty died! I know when you renew your course as an ice breaker they go round and say what your first ever case was and no one seems to beat me on the scale of OMG!

2-3 weeks ago I was given First Aid 5 scout badge (the highest one) which shows I'm able to:

• Know what to do at the scene of an accident.
  • Know when and how to contact the emergency services.
  • Be able to respond to the needs of an unconscious patient Know how to open an airway, give CPR to adults, children and infants and how to place in the recovery position.
  • Know how to deal with both minor cuts and bleeding and major bleeding injuries.
  • Know how to deal with burns and scalds.
  • Know how to safeguard against the effects of heat. Know how to recognise and treat heat exhaustion.
  • Know how to safeguard against the effects of cold. Know how to recognise and treat hypothermia.
  • Recognise the symptoms of shock and how to treat a casualty.
  • Know how to deal with choking.
  • Know the common medication procedures used by asthmatics and how to deal with an asthma attack.
  • Know how to recognise the symptoms of a heart attack and take appropriate action.
  • Know how to deal with an injury to the head. Know how to treat a casualty with a suspected spinal injury.
  • Recognise the signs of a fracture and how to protect from further injury or pain.
  • Know how to recognise the symptoms of a stroke and take appropriate action.
  • Know how to recognise a range of muscular and skeletal injuries and how to protect from further injury and pain.
  • Know how to recognise and deal with a range of other medical conditions including anaphylaxis, angina, cramp, diabetes, epilepsy, febrile convulsions and meningitis.

It may be 1:30am on a Saturday, but tonight I'm going to the pub.

Nothing unusual about that, you're probably thinking. Wrong.

This is a pub which used to be a 5 minute walk from my place. Now for nearly 4 years, it's been a 15 minute journey via train and a short walk, as I live in the next village 5 miles away. However, I still consider it my local.

Why? I hear you ask.

When I arrive, I get to the front door to see regular people I know outside smoking, sometimes it's a while before I get in to order a drink as I'll be chatting. If I manage to skip that part upon arriving, getting a drink at the bar can be a challenge sometimes, not because it's rammed, but because I've bumped into people I know.

Being popular in a pub is great. Especially when you haven't seen people for a while. And it shows what respect I've gained and given in there.

Last year, I started clubbing again for the first time in years. At new year, I decided enough was enough - it's too expensive, too loud (as much as I love the tunes), too much hassle to get home as I usually have to crash at a mates, and there are just loads of girls trying to screw you over for a drink.

Sod it. Never again. I stick 2 fingers up to the clubs. Years ago I said my club days were over. I went back years later. This time they definitely are over. You can't beat a pub, even if I do stay away from it for a while and then go back to see the regulars.

On Saturday night I'm going back to my local for the first time in about 6 months, this shall now become a regular thing again. I shall no doubt walk in there and people will ask where I've been. After explaining, I'll tell them I'm here to stay.

It's what I call going home - to a place where I belong, am known and am comfortable in my surroundings.

Turtle...

(In all seriousness it's not awkward :) Me and Ben are still friends so I think I can tell him if he makes me laugh :P )

Unless you're referring to something else, in which case I've waffled on for no reason :lol: Oh well, this is the random topic!

Been a bit worried about my numb big toe. I've not had 100% feeling in it since Sunday night. I was sat on the floor using my iPad for about 5 hours. I kept moving about and changing my position, when I finally got up the blood rushed back to my feet OK. I saw the doctor about it, everything is OK as blood flow and pulse are OK but I've been told to go back within a week if it doesn't improve, which at the moment is the likely case. It's a mystery to me and my doc, and I hope I haven't lost feeling permanently. I'm used to reduced feeling in my right hand, so numbness is nothing new. I accept things like this may take weeks or months to recover.

In other randomness I must stop falling asleep in my empty bath!

Because sometimes I come home pissed from the pub! :P It's the first room when I come through my front door into my flat, my bedroom is the other end! Sometimes waking up and the feeling the cold hard steel is a shock to the system! Last Sunday I got in at 12:35am, and fell asleep in it until about 4:30 when I finally went to bed!

In other news, my numb toe has improved a lot today and I can feel a lot more now. It's probably because I've done a lot of walking today, however there may still be a bit of improvement in the toe yet to come!