Sharkbait Reef - AT Sealife

D4n

• 11 months later...

This topic has been merged. This was speculation about a new attraction in 2011 later realised to be an addition to the Sea Life aquarium.

From http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/

Some eagle eyed TowersTimes Forum members have spotted some Shrek related theming hidden away on park. Although the location makes it difficult to see exactly what the theming is, the fact the word Shrek was seen and the shapes resemble Shrek related characters suggests a new attraction could be on it's way for 2011.A 4D attraction has been widely rumoured for Alton Towers for a number of years, and considering Shrek 4D is established in a number of parks this could be a credible possibility. Following its creation in 2003, Shrek 4D attractions currently operate globally across Universal Studio's park portfolio, as well as at Movie World Germany and Warner Bros. Movie World in Germany.If a Shrek 4D attraction were to be confirmed, it would likely be located in one of the park's vacant tents which formerly housed the Black Hole or the Ice Show. It would also mark a return to family oriented attractions following the addition of Th13teen this year, a ride widely marketed towards thrill seekers.

First Sonic, now Shrek? Hmmmmmm. Edited by Tommy
Merge explainer

I was against this when I first heard about it, but it is likely not to be as intrusive and gimmicky as I first thought. The old ice rink has lain unused for years now, and if it was reopened it really would bring back some attention to that area. As it stands, the whole of Adventure Land down to Old McDonald's Farm goes rather unnoticed (with the exception of Sonic Spinball). Storybook land is also tiny and sticks out strangely, with only the one ride. It is a peculiar area really, it doesn't really feel like it belongs at the park much. It is like a jumble of remains from mid 90s developments, with Spinball plonked on top. Not that the areas are not very nice or anything, just a bit lonely. Maybe this new attraction will add some life to it?I wish it had not been an IP though, but there you go... ;)

Now, Shrek 4-D is actually amazing...But, assuming they just re-use the same footage, it's a 7 year old attraction... And the film's are worse (and possible/hopefully finished) then it was all those years ago...I have... Minimal hope that this happens... Especially considering that image of why it's reckoned to be Shrek... Dear oh dear...Does Storybookland need something done to it? Yes, preferably by getting rid of that red and blue turd next door and theming all in one piece... A decent sized new attraction that can promote itself to families based on it's substance rather than "OHHHHH LOOK AT THE BIG SHINY CHARACTER!" would always be my choice, this is why I'd never do well being in charge of a themepark...So much for Merlin's in-house stuff eh?

Film and game sponsers are basicly what RUN the six flags parks! hellooo??? terminator salvation the ride for example??? and the whole place has been raped by looney tunes to!

There is a difference between the two companies. Six Flags used to be owned by Time Warner who had the rights to all of franchises (I think) they used in the parks so used them a lot.Merlin in contrast doesn't own Sonic, Saw or Shrek so is having to make deals which sometimes feel very lazy and out of place. The sonic retheme springs to mind...Anyway, if Alton does get a complete copy of the Universal movie I won't be too impressed as I thought it was the weakest attraction there. The pre show however was pretty awesome.

Backdraft is nothing like Twister... Completely different... Main difference is the amazing COW <3LA Universal isn't that great anyways... Aside from the tram tour... Shrek is still amusing though regardless... Certainly one of the best 4-D shows around...Still don't want it at Towers though...

• 3 weeks later...

Thing is, as much as this is "meh" in the scheme of things due to the fact that loads of parks have 4D attractions already, this isn't just about a 4D. This is Alton Towers continuing their quest for more "year round" and indoor attractions. Following Sea Life and the presumed redevelopment of the Black Hole tent in 2012, it tells a lot about their focus!Hopefully a few spruce ups around the park will go hand in hand with this, too.I hear it will be very well themed.

I actually quite like the London Eye one, much better and to me, has a much more emotional effect on the audience than that pants Marvel one at Tussauds.Shrek 4-D though, I'm still in two minds, I'm all for a 4D cinema as they're good people eaters and add something different to the line up of attractions at Alton Towers. I'm still not totally for the use of IPs, though I'd much rather guarantee a decent show than to have a rubbish one.

I actually quite like the London Eye one, much better and to me, has a much more emotional effect on the audience than that pants Marvel one at Tussauds.

Don't forget I had to endure it throughout the summer... Mind-numbing 30 minutes were abound!Peter will back me up come January... Mark my words ;)

I hope they go with the same effects that Universal have. As for theming, it's mostly castle-ish with lots of Farquad banners and spoof film posters featuring Shrek characters. There's a talking donkey animatronic thing at the exit but I'd be surprised if they had that.