Nemesis Inferno

themeparkmad

I heard Inferno Dispatch many atime last year.

Not saying this rudely before you think I am Ricky but you do visit a hell of a lot to Thorpe Park... Therefore, obviously you are going to hear it a lot as you are always there!It is like me with visiting Chessington WoA. We both see things more because we visit more often... :mellow:

Great, it's nice to hear that the park are continuing to upkeep effects like last year.And what is this dispatch theme people are talking about? I don't think I've ever heard it.

I'm pretty sure you will have, but you just didn't know that it was the dispatch theme at the time.

The mist was consistant today. It filled the tunnel nicely. They seem to have the full 5 min version of the Inferno theme in the station now instead of the 2 min version. The cannons were completely dead still though. Just the farting normal speakers that can't handle any bass.

The mist was consistant today. It filled the tunnel nicely. They seem to have the full 5 min version of the Inferno theme in the station now instead of the 2 min version. The cannons were completely dead still though. Just the farting normal speakers that can't handle any bass.

They may of been turned off due to the fact the day after it was put back to original theme they were litrally vibrating and making it sound aweful! But good to see the theme back in its station!

• 1 month later...
The tunnel effects are very on and off it seems. I have always experienced the ride with at least some of them working. In Fright Nights the mist was spectacular and worked together with the lights really well, as you could barely see anything past the heavy red glow. It is great that they have fixed the smoke on the entrance to the tunnel, which adds a little bit more drama to the first drop into the volcano.However, if nothing in there is working, it must be rather anti-climatic. The thing is, it relies on these effects to impress, and they are simple sensory effects that vary in performance. Not much else can be added without ruining the 'inferno' effect, but in the case that the mist breaks the effect will again be ruined. I think there simply needs to be a good upkeep of effects (this has certainly improved recently but will naturally fall over the year); as well as rock face theming throughout the firey cave, so that riders are not left with corrugated metal if the mist isn't working.A shame that Inferno suffers from failing effects every now and then, but overall the ride is so good because it has these twists. The volcano tunnel is a great start to the ride, and so are the little touches like the volcanic rocks in Calypso Quey and ponds under the loop and photo point, with those geysers sometimes adding another effect. I am so glad it has been saved from the same fate as X No Way Out and Tidal Wave in which there used to be many good effects that have since been forgotten. :unsure:

Is it that the effects aren't working? Or is it just that some days nobody bothers to turn them on? If that's the case then it's a real shame, because Inferno is so much better with all of its effects working. I can't complain really though, this season has been the best yet in my opinion! At least we have mist & lights this year and they seem to be working most of the time, I guess I was unlucky to miss out on the lights on one of my visits. I experienced the full effect last month anyway so it's all good.(I've just realised I'm sitting here typing about whether a couple of lights are on or not inside a tunnel! :unsure: )And about adding heat to the tunnel :P That would be AWESOME!!! We would then be literally feeling the heat of Nemesis Inferno :P It can be done - they do it very well on Test Track at Epcot, and they even use real fire on Universal's Revenge of the Mummy!

To be honest, I would have been thrilled to have seen a river flowing through the (some of the) ride area, water coloured bright orange with bubbling effects and splashes here and there. A shame also, that the rumbling of the volcano stopped so long ago.

I do not know the definite answer, but I'll have a crack at it..Having an extra row would cause a lot of extra weight, meaning that more energy would be lost during the ride. For example, taking into account Newton's 2nd Law (Force=Mass x Acceleration - F=Ma), and rearrange it, acceleration = Force/Mass. The (g-)force of the ride would stay the same no matter what, but if you increase the Mass with an extra row, then the acceleration would decrease. This means, there'd be less speed and it would be harder for the train to get round the track - and probably cause it not to complete the circuit more often then not. Therefore, if they wanted an extra row, the circuit would have to require a larger lift hill, shorter circuit, smaller elements; etc. so the train could complete. As this would probably affect the experience of the ride, they've probably stuck to 7 rows, as opposed to 8. Things like this are usually taken into account when designing rides, of course.Again, I do not know the answer, and I've used probably there upteen times. :o However, it's just my understanding of Physics that I've got and using a bit of guess work, this is what I've always believed to be an answer to such questions for any coaster. Of course, if I'm wrong, someone will say and give the right answer. Hope this has helped a bit though James. :o

Your right that more energy will be lost throughout the ride due to the extra rolling resistance created by having an additional row but the potential energy gained whilst going up the lift hill would also increase so loosing more energy through the rest of the rise may not necessarily be a major issue. G force is actually a measure of acceleration (1G = 9.81m/s2) rather then force which means that it will not be a constant. The force creating the acceleration of the train will be the resultant of the mass acting down the track ( m sin θ, θ being the angle of the track from horizontal), the rolling resistance and the aerodynamic drag, all of these will increase if the mass is increased, so the resultant force will not vary a huge amount, so I think you are right in saying the acceleration will drop and the deceleration whilst rising will increase. I think it is likely that more often then not the train would still reach the end if there was an extra row, but there is a larger chance that every now and again when the conditions are right (or wrong) it won't make it. Trying to allow for this extra mass would not be a simple thing to do, you can not simply lengthen the lift hill as this would mean higher speeds at the beginning of the ride, so the size of the first loop would have to be increased and the turns would have to be opened out to allow for the increases in centripetal force to keep it within the comfortable limits for an unfit human being. All of would likely have resulted in a ride that was too big to fit in the allocated space.Another issue with increasing the weight is that it may wear the track out faster, the loading will be now where near what is required to cause an immediate failure, but it will increase the fatigue loading on the track. To stop this would have meant additional bracing and supports to keep the loading underneither the minimum loading for fatigue. This wouldn't have been difficult to do as obviously its been done, but it would cost more to do, and thorpe park may have deemed this extra cost not justifiable to get a 14% increase in throughput.I personally think that if an extra row could have been added it would have been, but a combination of extra cost and not enough space for a decent layout stopped them.