Suggestions

Ashley W

Ever heard of giving a park an actual chance? Of course you haven't... :rolleyes: Considering what Mark was saying about Thorpe I went... Didn't cost me anything at all... Probably was the choice of day, but it was quite frankly crap... Adding a shark to your KFC isn't exactly perfection is it?I went again in September and had a better day... But again, the lack of shade provide little comfort on a boiling hot day... More queue-line shading should be top billing for the park... I say the same of Fury at Chessie... It needs shade in it's queue...Jack also posted whilst I was typing my very long and well justified post... There is a massive difference between enthusiasts and general public yes... That much is obvious... But enthusiasts noticing little things that the public may not notice (like operations, dodgy fencing, etc), can often help the park improve those little things...And it's ALWAYS the little things that prevent perfection...

I think my opinions are so different to what they used to be. I go to the park with a few mates, get on most of the rides and have a bit of a laugh and a few beers. That for me is what makes a good day, but of course this differs between most people. I completely agree there are absolutely tonnes of small things that could improve the park, the lack of shading and the lack of greenery are very important. The lack of themeing is something of which is a great shame but unfortunately not something of which the park would care for. They are a business and unfortunately they wouldn't spend extra loads of money for themeing aslong as the crowds resume to flood in every week. I'm sure I could visit the park when it opens and write pages of smaller things of which I'd like to see improved (which is what I more or less used to do on trip reports, then the following week I would see if anything had changed) I go to Football for the Atmnosphere and to support my team week in week out, I have spent £2,400 since August following my football team. My football team then move the fixtures in order to show the games on television, they move the games up north to mid-week so most of the fans who spend alot of their money are unable to go. The reason they do this is because they want the money from Sky Sports, they don't care about the fans.Unfortunately this is similar to the whole way of which theme parks deal with things, the general public spend more money than the enthusiasts.. so it's obvious which one they care more about.

What is so bad about Thorpe Park? Each year the park does better and better, busier and busier, whilst popularity is not always a measure of quality, enthusiasts have been slagging it off for years, and each year the park does that little bit better surely if it was THAT bad this wouldnt be the case?

This is just a point in mind, people never just go on a tirade about Thorpe being crap. They offer subjective criticisms about the park and how they would like to see it improved. Anything like "oh well it's Thorpe, so its crap" are normally tounge in cheek comments.To hate a theme park would be pretty extreme to be honest, anyone slagging off a place and then continues to visit week in, week out either has very warped priorities or just likes to bite the hand that feeds it.I have only ever criticised the park when I felt it needs to be put down and am one of the first to compliment something if I feel the park deserves it. Back when I worked at the park that no one cares about, Thorpe had all the money, all the media interest and all the enthusiast attention and yet despite this, the reliability of its attractions was abysmal, the look of the park was a disgrace and the running of fastrack annoyed me to the point where I'd have rather gone to Brighton Pier then get in on the AP at Thorpe.I felt last year was a real improvement. All rides open at the beginning of the season, very little prolonged closures (I can only think of Slammer atm), things were looking better such as the entrance area which had looked in disrepair, was glistening, shiny and new.I feel this an age thing. When you are young and into Thorpe you see something like graffiti on a tiny part of Nemesis Inferno's exit ramp and you think it's the beginning of the end, that the park doesn't care anymore and that Chessington is the way to go. It's as you get older and you get perspective that you realise how little a theme park really matters. So what if Thorpe is getting an incredibly awful ride this year. Next year we'll see a brand new Beemer and thats where I'd rather see the money invested.

To add mine to the list.I think that the highlighting of certain downfalls is where the park can improve themselves. Guests may not notice it off-hand, but it adds to the day. Little things changing can make a world of difference to people - mainly operation wise, but also how it looks and feels. I'm pretty sure people have different perceptions of a park which needs a paint and have graffiti, and have less care. Dunno if you notice anywhere, that if the look and feel of a place is down, it can become rapidly worse as people add to the damage.. adding to the perception.To add to the "why bother when people come", legoland add shelter to their ride queuelines after opening, they add those little things. They have visitors if they do or don't do it, but it adds that extra bit to the guests day (lack of sunburn or dehydration in the queues). Though, you won't see any compliments for these add-ons, as guests don't notice it because its good.I'd prefer them to keep top of things, add stuff. I'm sure there's a few people who do it without recognition (every park I know one or two at least), just needs to be more recognised.As for guest wise - most guests would be due to advertising (of which they do a hell of a lot now), brand awareness, offers. You can never go far without having merlin in eyesight - they're extremely good at this. Their target audience doesn't get older, new ones come in. It'd be interesting to know new to returning visitor ratio!

I'll throw my tuppence in.For a start - any visitor destination that wants to succeed needs to hire the right staff, and TP just don't do that. They hire staff that sit 4 or 5 in control boxes, not talking to any guests, not religiously height checking which they should be, they don't even make and attempt to look happy or interested in what they're doing. I mean come on - you're working in a theme park, somewhere that is meant to be exciting and trust me it is great great fun to work in the place, but the staff are all just miserable and don't seem like they could give two flying ones. They'd rather interact with each other instead of interacting with the guests.Other places around the such as infrastructure and rides are absolutely awesome; the place is clean, neatly done and kept well. Great stuff, hope it stays like that.Fastrack is oversold to a point where everyone loses out though. It's a big loser for TP, yes its a clear mandate to basically print money, but its at the point of where the fastrack queues are so long that they are defeating the object - skipping a queue.I don't really like the place personally as the guests are a bunch of ****s, but that doesn't haze my vision of the park in other ways,

On the note of ride staff, I have never really had a problem with them; as long as they do what they are supposed to and are happy (which they are most of the time I go) then I don't really mind. I think the problem is when someone (GP) sits in a ride seat I.e Inferno or Stealth and takes ages to undo their seat belt until the moment that the air gates have opened (inferno) and you have to undo it for them... Maybe they could make use of the speakers on the brakes of each ride with a message like rage at Adventure island saying 'Please undo your seatbelts' Anyway, lets move on. I agree with most people that Thorpe Park is always clean and tidy. I don't know why so many people hate it so much, it could be alot worse like Six Flags Magic Mountain where it has been heard of for Tatsu to have around 7 minute dispatches :rolleyes: I have never actually had a problem with "chavs" at Thorpe Park, however I have at Alton Towers Scarefest this year, they all decided to accumulate around X-Sector for some reason hogging KFC... One of them decided to have a go at us for sitting at an empty table in KFC, then thought it would be funny to keep dragging it out to annoy us and others, we just ignored them in the end. I have had the problem at Thorpe of being sat on Inferno in the station after a ride (on 2 train operation) the hosts decided to stand around the console talking to each other before the restraints were eventually released. But I don't actually have any more suggestions as most people have already said them, and remember that Thorpe only had imo it's forst major coaster in 2002, so it is a growing park unlike Alton which has been about for a while now. Ooh, 1 more thing is that Colossus should have a whole system re-make, I.e. new trains, a new operating system so that Trains can be dispatched before the other is on the brakes etc...

Remember, the park is owned by merlin and they do share expertise and knowledge how to run places. Their staff are awful, I've witnessed far more problem times than it going smoothly, they're just not motivated.Mainly down to management I'd say tbh, each park have their own ways at motivating.. hell, one I know spends the first two days working at the park playing games, to get into the sense of play.One example is the staff all chewing gum, being slow and lazy, manager comes up, achknowledges them and goes into console allowing them to continue. Bit.. wrong.

Ooh, 1 more thing is that Colossus should have a whole system re-make, I.e. new trains, a new operating system so that Trains can be dispatched before the other is on the brakes etc...

Doubt that could happen, as there are no blocks for Colossus between the lift and brakes... Hence why usually the train is usually dispatched when the other hits them, for safety reasons...I think 2005 was when my feelings of Thorpe went down... Unreliable, major punch-ups going on... Remember seeing someone bleeding outside Teacups... It had the entire thing tarnished from that day... Chavs at Towers is a weird thing... They are most definitely there (as is the weed), but I don't notice them as much... Probably because they are much more easier to avoid due to the large nature of Towers... And that I don't eat at Towers KFC... Although maybe it's just the Southerners judging those strange Northern people with their strange language of "Duck" and accents... :rolleyes:

Doubt that could happen, as there are no blocks for Colossus between the lift and brakes... Hence why usually the train is usually dispatched when the other hits them, for safety reasons...I think 2005 was when my feelings of Thorpe went down... Unreliable, major punch-ups going on... Remember seeing someone bleeding outside Teacups... It had the entire thing tarnished from that day... Chavs at Towers is a weird thing... They are most definitely there (as is the weed), but I don't notice them as much... Probably because they are much more easier to avoid due to the large nature of Towers... And that I don't eat at Towers KFC... Although maybe it's just the Southerners judging those strange Northern people with their strange language of "Duck" and accents... :rolleyes:

Might be the 13 year old kids drinking fosters, 9 o clock in the morning on the Alton Towers bus that done it for me...

Out of interest here (Serious question to the haters) :rolleyes:What is so bad about Thorpe Park? Each year the park does better and better, busier and busier, whilst popularity is not always a measure of quality, enthusiasts have been slagging it off for years, and each year the park does that little bit better surely if it was THAT bad this wouldnt be the case?

I think the problem I've had with Thorpe in more recent years is their direction. I honestly can't stand all the pop music and the other things that Thorpe have added, that are seen to be the 'cool thing' to 'young' people. I like the rides, I like the scenery (though they may not be a lot) and I like going there. I just can't stand some of the decisions they make.But of course, the decisions they have made are probably one of the reasons why they are doing so well. They have a defined audience which they've done well at appealing to. They're getting busier and more popularity, yes, and they're adding many rides (I won't say they're better, as that's a matter of judgement, not fact) and that's amazing for any park. If anyone can name me any park that's added at least one attraction each year since 1998 (and in the past 24 years, only had 1 year where they haven't added a new attraction), then please do. In that sense, Thorpe are phenomenal.I personally would go as far to say that Thorpe is one of the better parks in Europe, on paper. So why does it fail when it matters? The theming and effects is one let down. Rumba Rapids for example. Short layout, but the chance to get people really rather wet. Yet in fails miserably. Theming isn't exactly the best either. Staff is another one. They're not the happiest nor the most entertaining - they're just there as if they're working in a supermarket, with the same old same old going on. I could go on..I think it would be unrealistic to say anything is perfect, and Thorpe just isn't perfect. I think we all know that, and so do Thorpe and Merlin. And because Thorpe isn't perfect and because it has it's flaws, I will happily criticize it and still go, as long as I enjoy it.

They could do with a proper garden area with some lovely scenary, its just a concrete jungle full of rollercoasters at the moment!! Perhaps bring back Model World etc.. create more ambiant quiete areas for people to sit down and eat with packed lunches instead of having to queue up in noisy burger king / pizza hut etc. Then sit down trying to eat with a noisy rollercoaster roaring over your head can be really off putting lol :rolleyes: Could do with growing some more trees around the queue lines so that whats around the corner is less visable and adds abit more surprise when you board the next ride, everything is too visable at the moment and feels very open I personally prefer an enclosed feeling when at a theme park that makes you feel lost in the magic of the place! The only advantage the open views give you is from near the entrance when you see the rollercoaster skyline, it has abit of a Cedar Point feel at the moment but at least at Cedar Point you feel more enclosed by the scenary when your actually in the park itself.

There was Sunken Gardens but it was fenced off at the end of last season.

Sunken Gardens were more entertaining when you could walk round the back of Stealth workshop, right round the the back of Rumba, next to the ride trough/entrance to tunnel.Not that I ever did that, hey..

I never understand why people constantly want a garden area at Thorpe Park if you wanna go sit amongst the flowers go to a field, its just me proberly cos I'm the type who goes from one ride to another no break hahahaa garden to me is a place for a ride not daffodils

It's nice to sit down for a bit in relaxing surroundings, especially when eating lunch.

I agree with Ryan. I don't know why anyone would want the park to become even more of a concrete jungle. They have added a lot of trees over the years, around ride areas. Although the Colossus queue line area comes to mind- it looks quite appealing with all the trees and greenery.Parks need areas where guests are able to retreat for a while; not everyone can go charging about between rides. Even guests that do charge about, subconsciously the brain will take note of little things like greenery, trees and nicely presented areas. It definitely makes a difference. ;)

God, thats unbelievably closed minded. I'd recommend never going to Alton Towers (or any other theme park in the Uk or Europe) hun, your world may be rocked..

I Second this! Alton Towers Gardens are one of the most beautiful gardens ive ever seen. The walks in the gardens and at the back of the hotels are just so tranquil and relaxing.Now I feel like being there now.

If I wanted to see plants, I'd go to a garden Centre.

That is like saying "If I want to eat food, I'll go to a tatty local fast food restaurant" or "If I want to watch a show, I'll go to a primary school play".Firstly, gardens are a heck of a lot more than "looking at plants" and good ones are in a totally different league to garden centres where you buy plants. They are all about the natural beauty, and amazing landscaping, maybe even artwork and sculpture. That is why some theme parks have them, because all good theme parks are about the experience.Secondly, it is all part of the package. If you "just want to ride rides" then go to a funfair or an amusement park. Theme parks are (meant to be) for all the experience, effects and entertainment, whether that means brilliant and thrilling rollercoasters or theatrical special effect shows and dark rides.So it isn't as "OMG Y WUD YOU WONT A GARDAN IN A TEME PARK!?!?" as you seem to think the case is. happy?Personally, I think a big garden would not suit Thorpe Park very well, though the existing one behind Stealth is alright as it is (if a bit oddly placed). However, yes, much better landscaping would really help take that unpleasant atmosphere of "land of tarmac" off the experience. It's horrible and a bit off putting really...

God forbid I have an opinion on gardens. Frigging hell. I actually want to ride the rides, so why would I just fart about in a garden when I could be doing other things. You guys love telling me my opinions are wrong. But my opinions are Personal to ME. I'm not trying to enforce them onto you. So why do you all get your knickers in a twist about it, and start telling me what I think is wrong?