Stealth

Dan_Rush

Wow what a strange day, for me. Almost got to the park and realized, this twit had left the pass on the window sill at home, so back to collect it as, luckily, I live quite close. Got back to the park and thought I'd try Stealth. It ran for a few runs, then halted. I took a break until it started up again and all seemed reasonable. I was aware of previous problems during high temperatures so it was  no real surprise when things came to a halt, and it seemed terminal.

In this heat those seats get really hot if not sat in, ouch.

Awesome stuff by the Stealth staff last night - Adam and I got on at about 10:50pm - had two rides, and then went back on to the platform as we decided to go for a 3rd ride, which was announced to be the last of the day... the train however wouldn't move from the offload platform, and they announced there was a fault. Fully expected them to just not let us ride, which would've been cool - but they got an engineer over and fixed it, and we rode just after 11pm :) Fab stuff Thorpe - all part of an awesome day yesterday!

14 hours ago, Mitchada04 said:

Are they changing the launch cable? That's done this time of year isn't it?

Seemed to working on the catch car over the station and the engineer we spoke to didn't mention it but who knows

Back on the website scroller now

stealth normally has some sort of problem as soon as hot weather starts. Annoying that because stealth doesn't run well in hot weather it normally opens late or has some down time in the middle of the day causing higher queues on the other rides. I can't remember the launch cable being changed last year. Was it changed? I probably just didn't notice.

The launch cable seemed really slack yesterday from the bit you can see going into the launch house. Couldn't see any engineers but they may be waiting for a part or working on the platform. The issue over the weekend seemed to be the train not going to onload from offload so maybe it has something to do with the launch cable at that end.

On 25/07/2016 at 2:09 PM, ThemeParkLover said:

I can't remember the launch cable being changed last year. Was it changed? I probably just didn't notice.

Usually gets done once during season (usually the week after school trips week to make sure it survives the rest of the season) as well as during off season, especially since one of this style of coaster (think it was Rita?) had an incident a few years back where the cable snapped

2 hours ago, Celia Mae said:

Usually gets done once during season (usually the week after school trips week to make sure it survives the rest of the season) as well as during off season, especially since one of this style of coaster (think it was Rita?) had an incident a few years back where the cable snapped

Rita did with nobody on it and another ride did with people on, read about the Rita one the other day after I read an old post in an Alton Towers forum (2002) saying a boy got hit by Nemesis so I researched it. The other can be seen on YouTube.

Im pretty sure the cable is changed after a set amount of launches - this was the case before Rita had a cable snap too.

Considering it's been playing up for a while I'd assume there's more wrong than a simple cable replacement - hopefully it back up soon!

22 hours ago, Celia Mae said:

Lots of opinion on here as to why it's out of action, so shall we place bets? probably not, but don't be surprised if it's not the cable. I'll be glad when it's back, it's not a good time for this major item to be out of use.

Why not do the cable now anyway? It needs to be done presumably, is usually done towards the end of July, so why not throw it in and do it all now. Better than having to close it in a few weeks again.

Also, now is the best time since start of June to be doing this, as the parks are quiet at this point in the holidays, always have been. 

If the six month thing is true, then they might be scheduling the cable replacement for September (six months after start of sesason), when the park is closes mid-week anyway, causing even less disruption. 

If I was a betting man, I'd place bets on Stealth's closure being down to a different reason.  It experienced many problems on Saturday, and even if this is a 'quiet' time in summer, I don't think they'd actively choose to close down their major coaster for a week now. 

I don't think it's the issue one bit, but they've actively closed Stealth at least 3 seasons at this point for a cable replacement. Even without midweek closures, September would have been illogical. 

And this closure could be for 2 weeks, maybe waiting on a part. So surely now would be the best time to do the cable too as it's already down and might just be sitting around waiting. That would cause even less disruption.