Stealth

Dan_Rush

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Ivsetti said:

On another note, it's interesting how the park so heavily advertise "filming is not allowed on any ride" yet they so blatantly don't enforce their own rules:

https://youtu.be/mj9WXLkO0WE?t=319

(relevant part starts at link's start time). The staff member clearly sees the visitor holding a phone and doesn't ask him to do anything and the ride starts with him still visibly clutching the phone (which if let go is a major H&S hazard especially given how badly it could injure someone).

The lack of care or enforcement is also true for their "no queue jumping policy". And then the park wonders why they're not on par with international parks when basic things such as, you know, their own rules they don't give a toss about.

The staff are paid minimum wage to do a job which is quite tiring. The reason they don't do anything about the phones is simply that they don't care, it's not worth their effort to deal with, especially with the reaction the customer will give, which just then delays the dispatch.

44 minutes ago, EpicSmatty said:

The staff are paid minimum wage to do a job which is quite tiring. The reason they don't do anything about the phones is simply that they don't care, it's not worth their effort to deal with, especially with the reaction the customer will give, which just then delays the dispatch.

On a high speed roller coaster a loose object could be very serious, if that phone gets dropped it could seriously injure someone and it could completely damage the park's credibility and reputation. Some rules you can bend, but not enforcing this rule in particular could end in complete disaster.

45 minutes ago, JoshuaA said:

On a high speed roller coaster a loose object could be very serious, if that phone gets dropped it could seriously injure someone and it could completely damage the park's credibility and reputation. Some rules you can bend, but not enforcing this rule in particular could end in complete disaster.

I'm not saying it ok or right, I'm just saying that's why it happens

4 hours ago, EpicSmatty said:

I'm not saying it ok or right, I'm just saying that's why it happens

If that is the mindset of the employees, then that is a accident waiting to happen. Look at rides like Dueling Dragons or Steel Vengeance, loose items on both rides have resulted in injuries and look at how strict Universal are now.. 

11 hours ago, Ivsetti said:

. And then the park wonders why they're not on par with international parks when basic things such as, you know, their own rules they don't give a toss about.

The park doesn't wonder that. They think they are on the international stage when in actual fact they are a local regional theme park. And that's pretty irrelevant to the rules they choose to enforce.

7 hours ago, Mark9 said:

No I didn't contradict myself. You said they wonder why they aren't on the international stage, it's not the case as they think they are on the international stage. 

22 minutes ago, Marc said:

I don’t think Thorpe claim to be on the international stage - none of our merlin parks make any real effort to advertise them selves abroad as far as I know.

Thorpe certainly don't claim to be on the international stage, and certainly they don't market themselves like that (hence why we've had 'nation's thrill capital' and similar). But I don't doubt that Thorpe / Merlin in some capacity like to think internally that they have world class experiences which can compete internationally. 

Go high enough up, and I'm sure there's people who think 'Thorpe has world class rides'. 

3 hours ago, EpicSmatty said:

Are you trying to tell me the I'm a Celeb maze wasn't a world class attraction bringing in people form all over Europe? 😮

OI!! I’m a Celeb, Walking Dead,DBGT and Angry Birds are (was in IAC’s case) all top top top quality attractions that have the higher ups at Disney,Europa and Phantasia up all night with nightmares!! 😮

Why would people want to ride the likes of Taron or Wodan in Germany or Untamed in the Netherlands when we have that quality in this beautiful and very welcoming country!!?? :D 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Ivsetti said:

Also, Stealth is brilliant but a perfect example of what I mean. Yes it's one of the best UK rides (especially when it was built), but it's nowhere near one of the best European rides or even a contender for a world class ride.

This. I think some people have rose coloured glasses when talking about Stealth, maybe because it was their first big ride, hence how DARE you say its not a world class coaster or in the top 100 in Mitch Hawker's polls.. It is a good ride yes, but its not even the best in Thorpe IMO, let alone the UK.

I think Stealth is definitely the best coaster at Thorpe by a fair bit, when I was younger I used to LOVE Inferno but as I've gotten older I have just realised I like Stealth a lot more. It might be a bit grumpy and temperamental at times (same lol) but for me it is the best Thorpe has to offer! 

It's ironic as Inferno has just been leaving me dizzy and light headed when I come off it but I can cope with Stealth's launch several times in a row, old age is treating me well hahaha

On 12/28/2019 at 9:41 PM, JoshuaA said:

This. I think some people have rose coloured glasses when talking about Stealth, maybe because it was their first big ride, hence how DARE you say its not a world class coaster or in the top 100 in Mitch Hawker's polls.. It is a good ride yes, but its not even the best in Thorpe IMO, let alone the UK.

I mean, Stealth was out-dated even when it first opened. There was already longer, higher, faster, ones with more inversions & ones with more air time. The park icon. The only reason we in the UK were kind to it was because very few rides like it could open on these shores. A fact still true today.

Ironically, the rides loved by the GP and enthusiasts today are the smaller, intricate rides like Taron, Taiga & Helix. Right up my alley.  

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally braved TP for the first time this year, and very wary of the virus and the almost impossible "Social distancing". Took a couple of different style face masks and found the one I use when riding my bike the most secure.

Difficult for the staff as they cannot be any closer to the riders than they are.

Originally doubted I would get many rides in but there was hardly a queue all afternoon so I managed a decent number. Several times after the braking hill we raced round the lower bend and engineering had to change a couple of drive wheels.