Stealth

Dan_Rush

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Was 1 train off a rollback yesterday. It rolled back on the first train of the day. Can't explain how gutted I was. 

They had it back open within an hour, I thought it would be down a while seeing as it isn't really meant to rollback anymore but it opened pretty quickly and didn't roll back the rest of the day as far as I'm aware.

30 minutes ago, ThorpeAddict said:

Was 1 train off a rollback yesterday. It rolled back on the first train of the day. Can't explain how gutted I was. 

They had it back open within an hour, I thought it would be down a while seeing as it isn't really meant to rollback anymore but it opened pretty quickly and didn't roll back the rest of the day as far as I'm aware.

Whilst it's true the park have done work to the system to make rollbacks less of a thing, they will still happen. It's just one of those things with launch coasters, even with modern ones. 

Getting it back open quickly is a good sign, in theory, that they were able to pinpoint the reason why it rolled back and feel confident it wouldn't happen again.

Then again, I hear it also rolled back this morning too. Could be a weather related thing given the reasonably quick change we've had from warmer and humid weather to colder and wetter weather? 

4 hours ago, JDann said:

An hour! 

Used to have it up and running within 15-20 minutes when it rolled back. Has it been windy / cold the last few mornings?

I guess its a lot less common for it to rollback then it used to (pretty sure it only does a few times a year if that?) as Josh said they did a lot of work to it to prevent rollbacks . So when it does happen I assume there are more checks they need to carry out. 

Not been too cold but dropped in temp recently so could be why!

• 6 months later...

The Big One valleying yesterday got me thinking about all the faff involved in recovering the trains etc... Which then got me thinking how convenient Stealth is to reset after a rollback.

Does anyone know what it takes to reset Stealth after a rollback?

I seem to remember years ago it would take 10-15 minutes for the Engineering Team to come over, do a bit of 'reversing' in the station, a few test runs and that was that.. Ride open again.

Now adays it seemingly takes an hour or so to get Stealth up and running again after a rollback.

Anyone know what it is they need to do to get it 'ridable' again?

This may sound like a stupid answer, but I believe it is simply down to rollbacks being a rarer occurrence. 

In the past, rollbacks would happen semi-regularly. They were almost an expected part of an operational fortnight or something, for example. It was just 'one of those things'; a routine thing.

Following work and upgrades to the ride's system, a Stealth rollback is, by and large, a much rarer occurrence. Yes, it still happens, and it's not a *major* concern. But it's rarer. So that usually means the park's engineering team can identify why it's happened and rectify it. In the long run, it means the ride is open for longer as a result.

On top of that, following the Smiler incident, Merlin have internally made reopening an even more rigorous process in recent years. Those extra checks probably add time to it too.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

2023 seems to be the year I make some of my geekiest ever posts on this forum, so in that spirit; when did Stealth’s train livery change?

First two pictures show the original livery, featuring bespoke graphics for the rides name and train number based on the ride logo.

Third and fourth pictures are of the new livery. It uses more basic, lower quality graphics for the train number as well as writing the rides name in the default Windows font Bauhaus93, slightly edited to try and approximate the original graphics.

Does anyone know what year the livery was updated? I’ve found appearances of it as far back as 2016, but this was only from a cursory look.

It’s a shame that the original graphics weren’t kept handy in the event that the train livery would need to be replaced. And while this is an incredibly minor thing that no normal, well adjusted person would notice I do think it’s a shame. Little niggles like this (As well as many other things) make the entire Merlin operation seem a little unprofessional. Would things like this happen if more care and attention (and money) was given to each individual park?

IMG_0188.jpeg

IMG_0189.jpeg

IMG_0186.jpeg

IMG_0187.jpeg